The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Commonwealth Cup 2018

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2018 Commonwealth Cup 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5768

Agree on SIOUX NATION 5/1 also his breeding suits Ascot so could see him winning here but get beat in july cup by the Hills horse

Ben_BernankeBen_Bernanke
    Participant
    • Total Posts 638

Bloody hope not Darren would be fuming if that happened!! Sioux nation a serious contender though tbh surprised it isn’t a bit shorter!

CharlesOlneyCharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

I go into this happy to have snapped up 5/1 about Sioux Nation and after the opener I’m happy to see he’s drawn in 15. I couldn’t resist a bite at 9/2 for Equilateral as well, albeit he won’t be as good a result and is mainly just in case he is the real deal. And at the prices 40/1 for Actress looks a fair e/w bet (5 places)

Sioux Nation 5/1
    Equilateral 9/2
    Actress 40/1 (e/w – 5 places)

BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6578

I’m hoping that Laugh A Minute can manage to keep out of
    the trouble he found himself in the last time he ran here over 6f last
    month. He’ll need a bit of luck and a clear passage, but if Atzeni can
    chart a course through them I think he has a big chance at 28/1.

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26480

Market speaking against Equilateral at the moment.
    Is he sweating?

value is everything
    stevecautionstevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

Sands Of Mali looks the best value at today’s odds.

I have him and Sioux Nation holding about the same chance today, so can’t back the O’Brien one.

Sands Of Mali from last year and Equilateral are my two.

1.Equilateral
    2.Sands Of Mali
    3.Invincible Army is my £2 Tricast.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

CharlesOlneyCharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

I hold my hands up.

I just could not have backed that, twice behind Invincible Army and a no show at Newbury. You have to be very forgiving sometimes in this game though.

Ben_BernankeBen_Bernanke
    Participant
    • Total Posts 638

Equilateral looked good 3f out then went backwards, not sure whether the horse just isn’t that good or whether something happened mid race aka an injury

Ben_BernankeBen_Bernanke
    Participant
    • Total Posts 638

Or maybe the inexperience meant it didn’t cope well with being headed in the big field

stevecautionstevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

God, my post hung for ages and didn’t come through till the race was over!

Anyway, it was second again for one of my ante-post bets and the criminally under-rated Sands Of Mali almost popped up for Richard Fahey.

Equilateral was disappointing, he seemed the potential improver but maybe he just doesn’t take any racing. He was the same last season, flopping on his second start after looking very promising. One to avoid on today’s effort but maybe he’ll come out and win at big odds when least expected. The July Cup will surely be off the agenda.

I’ve never taken to Sioux Nation as one to back at short odds. He has form that suggests he CAN do something good but then he disappoints. The O’Brien horses finished absolutely together, well down the field and Just Wonderful in the Albany disappointed, along with Delano Roosevelt. Not their day it seems.

Participant
    • Total Posts 26480

I just could not have backed that, twice behind Invincible Army and a no show at Newbury. You have to be very forgiving sometimes in this game though.

Not that forgiving, Charles.
    On only Eqtidaar’s third career start he ran Invincible Army who was having his eighth start and ran him to 1 1/2 lengths. ie Eqtidaar’s form a lot less exposed than Invincible Army.

Forget about Eqtidaar’s only run since, as Timeform Race Passes said: “is better judged on his previous form, on the wrong part of the track and too far back to get involved; slowly into stride, in rear, travelled well, effort 2f out, stayed on final 1f, never landed a blow; he remains with potential and may yet emerge the best of these”.

Eqtidaar hadn’t had much racing and lightly raced with scope for further improvement had a better chance thanhis bare form indicated. Unfortunately I chose to make him only a saver @ 12/1, looking back am kicking myself! Although did have a late top up of a few pounds @ 18/1 just before the off when the RUK duo were very positive about him.

value is everything
    DegaussedDegaussed
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Strange pre-race for Equilateral. Drifted really badly in the market, and Charlie Hills gave an interview to RUK before the race during which he looked absolutely despondent – not the interview of a man who was confident in his horse.

Sands of Mali was the best horse in that race, for me, and you must be annoyed if you backed him! He’s interesting for the July Cup at a big price, but given how strong he was at the finish I imagine he’ll to the Prix Maurice de Gheest and possibly the Foret later in the season?

Unfortunately, my selection, ran a strange race. Was detached early, made steady progress, badly hampered 2f out, ran on again before being heavily eased in the final furlong.

Participant
    • Total Posts 26480

Sands of Mali was the best horse in that race, for me, and you must be annoyed if you backed him! He’s interesting for the July Cup at a big price, but given how strong he was at the finish I imagine he’ll to the Prix Maurice de Gheest and possibly the Foret later in the season?

Not for me, Degaussed.
    Thought the jockey did well to keep a lid on Sands Of Mali. On the verge of being too free early. Normally a front runner, but if looking at those who raced prominently in this race they fell away. If anything may be Eqtidaar also went a little too fast early and was hanging on/slowing up because of that unequal pace. If they met again I’d expect the same result unless sectionals tell me different. Sands Of Mali always struck me as one who’d barely get home on a stiff 6f track and travelled well throughout the race. Could be wrong but I’d be against him at even 6 1/2, let alone 7f. If anything going down in trip or an easier 6f may suit best. However, this form is nothing like Battaash and Harry Angel’s best and probably now Blue Point too. So might be worth going anywhere they don’t, taking a chance on staying 6 1/2 or 7.

value is everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26480

Strange pre-race for Equilateral. Drifted really badly in the market, and Charlie Hills gave an interview to RUK before the race during which he looked absolutely despondent – not the interview of a man who was confident in his horse.

I saw that too, it was indeed despondent. May be no confidence because of his long losing run and Battaash’s defeat. May be because Equilateral’s injury since that good performance and knowing he wasn’t quite 100%. The horse was going well one moment, poorly the next.

value is everything
    stevecautionstevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

Sands Of Mali was said by Fahey to be potentially better coming off a lead and he stated that he hoped something could go off in front for him to chase.

I am pondering any potential draw disadvantage for Sands Of Mali? He came from box 22 and won the race on his side of the track. The winner was 19 boxes over in Trap 3 and I just wonder?

Very pleased with Sands Of Mali’s effort. I seem to be the only person in the Universe who had anything much to say about the horse and after winning the Prix Sigy he was still a bigger price than I had backed him at after he won the Gimcrack in good style. Most galling of all was only four firms were quoting him for the race at that stage. Lazy bookmaking at its worst. Idle odds-compilers probably sitting on the can with a jazz mag in one hand and…………….I digress.

Sioux Nation looked woeful today maybe 5F will be his game but he was lifeless in this one.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.