The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Claude Duval – A credit

Home Forums Archive Topics Celebrity Q&A’s Claude Duval – A credit

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Reading the York raceacard on the train on my way home from York tonight I thought I’d share a a few snippets from a Q&A session with Claude Duval for the pleasure of those not fortunate to have seen said piece.

Ever wondered what tools of the trade are needed to make a successful racing journalist (yes I’m wondering why they interviewed Duval too). Here’s a selection of his answers

A chair on wheels – ‘It allows me to spin round from watching the cricket to watch the racing.’

Free Lunch – ‘They say there is no such thing, but don’t you believe it’

Ice – ‘Very important in a press room as I need it for my post room gin and tonic, which tastes even better when it’s a perk of the job’

Okay so good ol’ Claude probably had hhis tongue somehwat in cheek at the time, but nevertheless I think he comes across as a credit to both himself and his profession, and also to his employers.

James_Richardson
    • Total Posts 18

Wonder if the "Punter’s Pal" did indeed have his tongue in his cheek!? :lol:

Think I’m definitely in the wrong job based upon what he had to say about a typical day at the office :(

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

He lost a fair amount of crediblity in my eyes when he wrote a piece following Best Mate’s third Gold Cup triumph, whereby he procalimed Henrietta Knight’s horse now to be Arkle’s superior.

Methinks old Claude got somewhat carried away. :roll:
    Reckon he must have won a few bob that day. :lol:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Hes always got on my nerves

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1877

I’m with Clive on this one

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Who is Claude .. is he a tipster of some sort ?

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

I read his bio of Lester a few years back and it was full of cliched drivel

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Claude is the Sun’s racing correspondent, he’s often found on a Saturday tipping favs in the big races that ‘the dogs have been barking about’.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

I read his bio of Lester a few years back and it was full of cliched drivel

Spot on, only the same drivel is coming out of his mouth now regarding Frankie Dettori.

I didn’t used to mind Claude, until a few months ago when Frankie won The Derby. Mr Duval was at the forefront of lobbying for Frankie to be named Sports Personality Of The Year.

Now come on Claude, Frankie winning Sports Personality Of The Year for winning a horse race any jockey in the country could have won on :oops:

If Frankie was ever going to win Sports Personality, it should have been a year when he was Champion Jockey or doing his magnificent 7-timer at Ascot, now that was an achievement. But Claude Duval wrote articles week after week saying it was about time Frankie won Sports Personality as if this award was dished out on a "it’s your turn" basis. Frankie has done nothing this year to merit becoming Sports Personality Of The Year and I found Claude’s lobbying for him way over the top.

Now it’s not just that incident that put me off Claude, it was also his complete lack of respect and knowledge for Lewis Hamilton and Motor Racing. Claude claimed that Lewis should not be ahead of the market to win this award because all he does is drive a car at the fastest speed he could. Claude also claimed that Hamilton was just a rookie and therefore shouldn’t be Sports Personality of The Year. Now I understand that Claude loves horse racing, and wants it in the limelight as much as possible, but to show such lack of respect for another sportsman and sport was totally out of order.

What Lewis Hamilton has done this year (in his rookie season) outweigh’s what Mr Dettori has done this year about 50 times over in my opinion.

Frankie for Sports Personality – absolute no chance and rightly so.
    Lewis Hamilton for Sports Personality – absolute certainty and very deserving.

Mike

nore
    • Total Posts 151

What Dettori and Hamilton have in common is that they are both usually aboard one of the faster vehicles.

Pegwell Bay
    • Total Posts 208

He lost a fair amount of crediblity in my eyes when he wrote a piece following Best Mate’s third Gold Cup triumph, whereby he procalimed Henrietta Knight’s horse now to be Arkle’s superior.

Methinks old Claude got somewhat carried away. :roll:
    Reckon he must have won a few bob that day. :lol:

Or maybe a few too many post-race G&T’s. :D

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5124

Now it’s not just that incident that put me off Claude, it was also his complete lack of respect and knowledge for Lewis Hamilton and Motor Racing.

All of a sudden my respect for Mr Duval has risen a hundredfold (to about 1% on the hackometer)

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Have to agree there. Is there any sport more charmless and so completely hyped as the brain dead monotony of the supposedly glamorous Formula one?

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5124

Reading the York raceacard on the train on my way home from York

Off topic DJ, but can you remember if the Lonsdale Cup was run from the traditional 1m 7f 195yds start on the back straight last year or from the new 2m 1/2f start on the round course as it was yesterday?

Angus Macnae on RUK stated that this years race was 10sec (I think) slower than last years which would make more sense if the races were run on the two different tracks.

Did you happen to see Sergeant Cecil post-race? He didn’t look too happy in himself after being unsaddled and was given a good look over by the vet. In my view he has a physical problem and/or needs a long rest.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Have to agree there. Is there any sport more charmless and so completely hyped as the brain dead monotony of the supposedly glamorous Formula one?

Easiest sport to make money on – bar none.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.