The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Classic races

Home Forums Horse Racing Classic races

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Stellablue32
    • Total Posts 4

Hi

I wonder if any of you can help me? I am writing a dissertation on the British Classic races and their relevance to modern racing, and require the following information for a spreadsheet i’m putting together:

-The stud that Mystiko retired to and his initial fee<br>- Pennekamp’s intial stud fee<br>- Rodrigo de triano’s intial stud fee (although i know he went to Japan)<br>- any information on Island Sands<br>- the initial stud fees for Quest for Fame, Dr Devious, Commander in Chief, Erhaab and Oath if possible,.<br>- any information on Toulon (esp studs stood at, when, and fees) <br>- ditto for Bob’s Return and Nedawi<br>-the initial fees of Snurge, Shantou, Milan and Rule Of Law

plus!

– initial stud fees of Belmez, St Jovite, Opera House, King’s Theatre, Pentire, Swain, Daylami and Alamshar

I know a lot of these horses went to Japan and information is harder to find, but i’d be extremely greatful for any help with any of these!!

Kate H.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3684

<br>Kate,

I can tell you a bit about Island Sands – he was owned as a 2-y-old by a couple I know, Mr and Mrs Michael Meredith. Michael had been the Clerk of the Course at Salisbury in the 80’s and then moved on to a job with the Hong Kong Jockey Club. Island Sands was bought by him and trainer David Elsworth for 18,000 Irish punts and won twice at Salisbury as a 2-y-old. The trainer always thought he was top class and his comments helped to boost the valuation of the horse.

He was sold to Godolphin, reputedly for half a million but that was never confirmed, before winning the 2000 Gns.

AP

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Most of that information is likely to be found in  Timeform’s Racehorses series in the year that those horses either won the races you are on about or the year that they retired.

If I remember and have a spare half hour tomorrow I’ll have a hunt through them.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9199

Sounds like a most interesting dissertation. Once it’s finished I’m sure it’d be of wider interest to people on here Kate if you’re interested in putting it into the public domain.

Stellablue32
    • Total Posts 4

Thankyou to those who have replied so far, that information on Island Sands is useful, thanks apracing.

cormack15 – the full title of it if you’re interested is ‘how relevant are the British Classics today, in terms of identifying top quality three-year-olds and their future stallion potential.’ My research has involved not only the spreadsheet mentioned but also analysing Timeform ratings, six case studies of stallions and four interviews with key people from within the industry.

Ive not got long to go now, incidently it’s due in on 2000 Guineas day. I’ve always been interested in racing but it’s the first time i’ve ever written on the subject. Whether people would agree with what i’ve written i don’t know, but i’ll see how i do marks-wise!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.