The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cheltenham good e/w?

Home Forums Horse Racing Cheltenham good e/w?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    mdennis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2

Hello all,

I’m new to the site and am just dipping my toes into the murky water that is horse betting! I’m off to Cheltenham on Gold Cup day and wanted some advice from you seasoned pros’!

Following on from the Cheltenham banker thread, would any of you have a good outside bet for the races on the day?

Thanks!

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Backing EW in the gold cup may not be advisable.

Kauto Star and Denman are very short and likley to totally outclass all but Exotic Dancer 14/1

If they all make it to the big one 100% fit many of the others may not run. The chances of another horse beating any one of those three, in a 10 runner race e.g., would be very remote.

If it’s a real big price you are looking for the best outside could be Turpin Green 66/1 as he did finish third last year and it extremely unlikely he will miss the race. Sulks a bit but stays forever.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

After that Haydock performance, "sulks a bit" doesn’t begin to describe it!

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Welcome to The Racing Forum, mdennis 8) ………….are you related to B.Dennis?

Colin

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

After that Haydock performance, "sulks a bit" doesn’t begin to describe it!

gc

You’re right he was aful last time out but he still won.

He finished 2nd in the Peter Marsh and in the Mildmay novice at Aintree, has won 6 races and to top it all he ran out of his skin and finished 3rd in the God Cup finishing within 2 1/2 lengths of Exotic Dancer who’s a 14/1 shot and not certain to make the race if his back injury re-occurs. He has an excellent trainer who will have him as sweet as possible on the day…….slow run race was hardly in his favour last year as he is an out and out stayer.

If you can find a better option at 66/1 be my guest :?

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

The 5/1 on offer about Sublimity winning the Champion Hurdle again seems a spiffingly good each way bet to me.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

If you can find a better option at 66/1 be my guest :?

I won’t find them just for the sake of finding them, Fists – outside of Exotic Dancer and the possible four Nicholls acceptors, I can’t imagine anything else good enough to make the first three home barring carnage.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

mdennis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2

Ha! Am I bit too quick out of the blocks? Thanks for letting me know, I’ll keep on the site anyhow as it appears to be one of the better ones out there, and bump my post a week or so before the big day.

Thanks again, especially for the Turpin Green. A friend’s Dad had this e/w last year and come away with a tidy profit.

(ps, no relations are B.Dennis… A couple of A, C’s and D’s though! ;-)

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

not very good at backing winners as my form in the competition shows, but I can’t help but think that everyone is so convinced that Paul Nicholls is going to win everything at the festival it could mean that there are going to be quite a few surprises at big prices, if only I knew which they were; however, Turpin Green was very kind to me last year and I shall stick with him ew this time.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

I’d want at least 16/1 about the nutty bugger (Turpin Green) even finishing the race, let alone going in each-way at 66/1. Money down the drain if you ask me.

There are worse 16/1 shots than Ashkazar in the Triumph, and much worse 20/1 shots than Aboo Who in the Foxhunters.

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

Elusive Dream if he runs in the 3 miler on GC day.

His only bad run was on the day where he didn’t like the weather (Greatwood Hurdle day).

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

much worse 20/1 shots than Aboo Who in the Foxhunters.

Aboo Who and The Man From Slatt both have rotten efforts behind Agus A Vic at Leopardstown most recently to forgive. I’d be a little more confident of the former doing so than the latter – Slatt made all in four points earlier in the winter, winning by an aggregate of 80l, but in none of them was the suspicion of a wind problem that has hung over the horse for more than a year actually tested. I think it probably has since.

gc

Zoso
    • Total Posts 479

My Way De Solzen in the champion chase. I think he is about 12-1.

shaund10
    • Total Posts 101

HARCHIBALD! will not come out of the first 3.

Zoso
    • Total Posts 479

Wow just checked the price and you can get 20-1 on My Way De Solzen. That is a cracking e/w bet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.