The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

CHELTENHAM GOLD CUP 2009 and 2010

Home Forums Archive Topics CHELTENHAM GOLD CUP 2009 and 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 460 through 476 (of 623 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1751

I have mixed emotions after that. Having backed Kauto Star, I am naturally very pleased, but hey, what an absolutley gutsy and tremendous performance from a horse who is clearly not one hundred per cent – Denman.

None the less, Kauto Star was simply superb and never looked like getting beat at any stage. A quite outstanding performance.

Should be a monster race next year. 8)

I haven’t been a great Kauto Star going left handed but I would agree with Himself’s words above. All credit to Denman who on ground quicker than preferred has run a cracker. Two outstanding steeplechasers around at the same time, just a shame they only meet once a year !

• Total Posts 326

Me stats are knackered me pockets are empty but we had the best possible result a clean and emphatic conclusion to all the iffing and butting. There can be no complaints well done Kauto Star.

• Total Posts 1415

I will now argue with Fist, Himself and anyone else who wants to – this is the best chaser EVER and no Arkle wouldn’t have beat him today.

Absolutely fantastic performance from Kauto, no doubt, but to suggest that he would have beaten the nonpareil (Arkle) today or any other day is pure supposition on your part. Granted, he might have got close – certainly on that performance:

Oooh you’re starting to come round. :wink: :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Er, not quite. :lol: Arkle was quite simply different candy. Trust me.

But it is Kauto’s day, so let’s concentrate on him.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

• Total Posts 1415

Er, not quite. :lol: Arkle was quite simply different candy. Trust me.

But it is Kauto’s day, so let’s concentrate on him.

Well its natural for the elderly to think things in bygone days were better. :wink:

• Total Posts 1982

You know, I just got back from Cheltenham and I’m almost certain I saw a Shooting Star.

Can anyone confirm this? :D

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

Wow.

Anyone still think Kauto ran to form last year ? :)

Just imagine if –

A) He actually

stayed

this trip around Cheltenham,

and

B) He liked going left-handed ?

He’d be some horse, huh ?

Aristo
    • Total Posts 318

BOS That was probably me as I have been on cloud nine for the last couple of hours. :lol:

Aristo
    • Total Posts 318

Wow.

Anyone still think Kauto ran to form last year ? :)

Just imagine if –

A) He actually

stayed

this trip around Cheltenham,

and

B) He liked going left-handed ?

He’d be some horse, huh ?

I’m glad you brought it up and not me :wink: Last year I said no way was he right and no way was Neptune Collonges in the same league.

I never doubted Ruby’s words for one minute when he said he wasn’t right they hadn’t gone that fast he might have left his race at Ascot.

Many argued and said he had ran to form which today showed was absolute BS.

They never listened when I said grab the 7’s, they never listened when I said grab the 5’s, they never listened when I said grab the 6/4 for the King George either. Plus when I said grab 2/1 for this years King George as it will disappear, I bet they never listened to that either :P

I am loving this :lol:

Denman ran a brilliant race and showed he has suffered no ill effects form his minor heart trouble.

He beat Neptune further than he did last season so he wasn’t that far off the mark. He truly is a great horse but no matter where or no matter when they meet again if he meets Kauto Star fit and well he won’t beat him. He simply doesn’t have Kauto’s kick and I think that will always be the differenece between them.

Unlike last year Kauto was jumping brilliantly from the word go. Last year he never travelled nor jumped one fence where he looked his normal self.

When he’s in the form he was in today nothing gets him off the bridle and I truly beleave a 100% fit Denman still wouldn’t have got Kauto at it. All that would have happened is the others would have been beaten further and he would still leave Denman for dead when it mattered.

Well done to PN and to those who remained faithful to a truly magnificent horse.

Ian. I haven’t got a clue who is better between him and Master Minded but what I do know Ruby said the horse wasn’t 100% the other day and if he said that one should listen as we saw today.

The guy on RUK said he’s the best I have ever saw incluing Arkle. I’m his biggest fan but that guy should be put of the air talking dribble like that :lol:

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

What made me laugh most was the C4 commentary about how Exotic Dancer was ‘stalking’ Kauto.

When has he ever been close enough to blow smoke up KS’s arse ?

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

BOS That was probably me as I have been on cloud nine for the last couple of hours. :lol:

I’ve been on Cloud Nine for years mate, it’s the best underlay you can get. :lol:

Mark

Value Is Everything
    BeauRanger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

Take nothing away from Kauto – its his day today – he was on top form today, jumped well, had his ground and ran his race.

Whilst he is a great champion I would go over the top with the best ever chaser etc etc – horses arnt machines and just because they run well or badly they dont suddenly lose class – they just have off days. I wouldnt start putting form lines through neptune and denman to try and prove this or that – with softer ground and a fitter Denman we may have seen a different race or other horses run better.

Its all academic – it was a special performance and he had conditions to suit – a great champion and fitting that it was him that was first to regain the gold cup. He deserves his place in history 8) It might not happen again for a long time.

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

It might not happen again for a long time.

Certainly not while Kauto’s around.

On this day next year we’ll be honouring the winner of four King George’s and three Gold Cups.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

Although the distances between Denman and Neptunes Collonges were similar to last year; I don’t think either ran to form.

The horses to judge the form by are My Will and Exotic Dancer. I can not believe that at his age, My Will improved more than a pound or two. Also think, although Exotic Dancer is not always consistent; his best performances have been of a similar level.

May be this test brought a pound or two improvement out of Roll Along, but not much.

If Denman and Neptunes Collonges ran to form then Exotic Dancer, My Will and Roll Along must all have shown improvement. That is unlikely.

However, that is not to decry Kauto Dtar’s performance. It was his best yet and did it without being all out. I expect him to recieve a Timeform rating of either a pound or two above, or level with Desert Orchid’s best (Racing Post Chase). It was a better performance than Denman’s, that is for certain.

Denman may or may not be able to beat Kauto Star on soft going. But Kauto Star’s form on good-soft / good; is better than Denman’s soft ground form.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    Aristo
    • Total Posts 318

I agree with you entirley. The one difference betwen Kauto Star and Arkle is Arkle never ever in his entire chasing career ran a bad race.

He got a self confesssed bad ride when beaten in the Hennessy and was running over adistance well short of his best when beaten by Flying Wild and Bonna Notte other than that it was just one awesome performance after another whether it was at the start middle or end of the season.

No doubt training methos have changed and trainers let horse down a bit and leave something to work on. We seen it with Zaynar today and we seen it with Kauto Star before the King George.

I”m sure they did itwith Arkle to an extent as well but he was so good noting could blow wind up his backside anyway.

Kauto Star is a super Super horse but Arkle was Denman with 2 extra gears is the best description I can think of.

Anyway Kauto Star will go down as the first horse to reatain the gold Cup and come December 26th weather permitting he will probably become the first horse in history to win 4 King George VI Chases.

In 10 or 20 years time when I am dead and gone, some guy will come on here probably named "Himself II" or Fist of Fury II and tell the then oldtimers that the latest Gold Cup winner is a better horse than Kauto Star was. My best advice is tell them they are talking shyte :lol:

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

"Himself II" or Fist of Fury II

# shudders #

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9299

perhaps Mr Bromley going to France with his cheque book and coming back with superstars doesn’t hold the same magic for me as horses being born in Ireland, being nurtured and brought along slowly and then fighting their way to being a champion by beating everything that racing can throw at them……I understand now why P Nicholls is in awe of this horse, and so am I, but I still can’t feel as emotional about him as I’d like to…I sometimes can’t quite believe how good he is.

Viewing 17 posts - 460 through 476 (of 623 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.