The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL

Home Forums Archive Topics CHELTENHAM FESTIVAL

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    dario
    • Total Posts 45

its gotta be the QM chase percy. its normally v competitive and its a thrill to see top class aminals jumping at speed..truly national hunt racing at its finest

jjimps
    • Total Posts 43

I have attended the last 14 festivals and am still not sure which would be my favourite race maybe the QM as Dario says but probably the Arkle which has been good to me as a punter. My one favourite race would be Henry Manns Coral Cup victory which was the first bet I ever had returning over £100 a whopping £100-5 those were the days !!

My least favourite race is much easier I watch every race at the festival bar one the NH chase during this race I am to be found in the bar !!

Daylight
    • Total Posts 369

Mine would have to be the Champion Hurdle and Gold Cup as these races create the most debate on here.

conall
    • Total Posts 59

Queen Mother without question – will never forget Klairon Davies -had done my brains on the Tuesday and when he went in at 9/1 that was the difference between me staying for the three days or going home early.

Jay Torbitt
    • Total Posts 22

What I like most about Cheltenham is that every race is very much full of class. If you had to pin me down though, it would have to be the Queen Mother and the Champion Hurdle (and the Gold Cup!) Unoriginal I know, but they truly are the best races. And, as I keep saying, if they threw in a crosscountry race too, then all the better….

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

I have to stand up for the NH Chase (the 4miler);  it’s been responsible for my first ever Cheltenham bet when Lorcan Wyer made his English debut on Omerta, and my best result when I lumped on Relaxation a couple of years back at a juicy 9/1!

Natalie
    • Total Posts 5

I thought Adrian Maguire rode Omerta

Colin Little
    • Total Posts 338

I think my choice is more about anticipation than quality,<br>but for me it’s the Supreme Novices Hurdle, the first race on the first day.

Whether you are there, or just watching on TV (as I will be this year), the atmosphere leading up to, & during that first race is really something.

Scotia
    • Total Posts 111

Very difficult to name one of many fantastic races over the three days. Having to them I would go for the Queen Mother Champion Chase requires a blend of speed and stamina. It sets out to find the best horse over the minimum chase distance of two miles. Always run at a terrific pace, there is absolutely no margin for error. The race was run for the first time at the 1959 Festival and for 21 years this Classic Steeplechase has produced a succession of Champions. Many true 2 Mile Champions have been found.

Standing at the last watching One Man win in 1998 was certainly one great highlight for me as he is above my PC in all his glory coming over the last.<br>

LUKE
    • Total Posts 271

Like Rory I would put the four miler as one of my favourites due to various punting successes over the years.<br>Rory a couple of days before Lorcan Wyer won the 4 miler on Omerta he had won on Canute Express at Chepstow.Those were the days when Homer Scott seemed invincible.<br>Natalie -Adrian Maguire did win on Omerta but that was in the Kim Muir some years later(first ride in England).

Natalie
    • Total Posts 5

Thankyou for clarifying that Luke

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Cheers, Luke, I had a niggling doubt about that one – unfortunately it completely buggers my Omerta trivia question.  Never mind!!

ALI
    • Total Posts 43

If i had to nominate one race at the festival (excluding the big 3) it would be the triumph hurdle, its usually always a hot race.

Every year there is always 1 or 2 races that i look forward to more than others, but this all depends on whats running. Without a doubt the Champion Hurdle will be one of those races this year becuase of the Istabraq factor.  

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.