The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champions Sprint 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Champions Sprint 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17561

Love this race, and always have a go on it Antepost…..

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/2/ascot/2020-10-17/765800

https://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/flat/champions-sprint-stakes/winner

Some proper horses in here, and those at the top of the market need little introduction.

Of those just off the top of the market, well I just wonder if the 10’s Art Power will look very big come Saturday. I don’t think he had too many excuses at York, but he looked very very good before that, and he can surely be forgiven one bad run. The same goes for A’Ali, and he’s tempting at 25’s.

I’ve bet Brando for The Sprint Cup, but I’m hardly awash with confidence, given recent form, but regardless of another Sprint Cup defeat on Saturday, I wouldn’t rule him out here at a price. His best run in the last 12 months was in this last year, and I’ll keep tabs on him.

I’ve also bet The Tin Man for Haydock, but win or lose on Saturday, the weather would have to be kind for his chances here, and the same goes for Judicial, who looks the type to run a big race at a price, should the heavens not open.

This race though can throw up some odd results, and as much as this seems a daft shout, I’m going with Chiefofchiefs. Been following him for a while, and I honestly give him a chance of outrunning his odds. I don’t think he’s ground dependent, he likes it here, and I think it’s interesting that trainer pitches him in here, despite numerous other options. His win at Royal Ascot was cosier that it looked, and I’m taking that 66’s. If he hits 100’s, I’ll take that too. I’m going for it.

Chiefofchiefs 66’s EW

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 328

VTC do you think that Art Power just isn’t quick enough for a G1 flat 5f on good ground, especially with Battaash blazing away?

Just couldn’t lay up it seemed to me. I’d agree with you, not one to give up on at top level. 6f with more juice could see him in a much better light. In this race, at Haydock, or both.

• Total Posts 17561

Yeah agree mate. I bet him for York, but no excuses at all, but they had to find out what they had.

I like him for Saturday, but haven’t bet him, and like you said, can easily see him shining in both these races. Definitely not one to give up on.

• Total Posts 17561

Tatling, thought Art Power was ok today, not spectacular obviously, but a lot more encouragement than York.

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 328

Yes I’d agree. Broke smartly too. Could easily still be improving.

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1215

He proved today that he belongs in Group1 company but I’m not sure about distance for him? Stiff 6 at Ascot?

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 328

I already like him for next year’s Temple tbh. Clear as mud! :unsure:

Assuming VTC put the 10s up in the OP as best available, it’s surprising Art Power is now two points larger at 12s after a solid Haydock effort.

• Total Posts 17561

Yeah Tatling, that was best the other night when I started the thread. Surprised at that 12’s.

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 328

Thought so and yeah I’d have expected clipping him in 2 points not t’other way around. Perhaps DOD is now taking up a much larger percentage of the market.

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 328

Market springer…..Starman saunters past in-form Dakota Gold at York (pair well clear) to maintain his unbeaten record.

BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7501

I agree with you TTC, I’m a huge fan of Dakota Gold, but Starman pulled away
    from him in the final furlong at York yesterday. Clearly he’s on the upgrade,
    I think he could be the new kid on the block. I’m also a big fan of Dream Of
    Dreams, but 11/4 at this stage is a bit short. If he gets to 7/2 or 4/1 he would
    be a great backup.

Starman 14/1

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

QUOTES: STARMAN is very, very good. To do that on your third start against battle-hardened sprinters shows he’s the real deal. He’s very exciting. He still doesn’t really know why he’s here, he’s a bit sweaty down at the start, not really sure what’s going on, and Tom said he jumped the crossing a furlong in. He’s doing it all on raw ability. I put him in the Champions Sprint but he just got away with that ground today, he’s a real good-moving horse. I fear the ground is going to be against us there. If we don’t run him again this year I’m not too bothered. He’s only going to get better next year, he’s such a big horse. Next year working back from the Diamond Jubilee will be the thing to do with him. – Ed Walker, trainer

For the Starman backers….just be wary!

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

BigGBigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7501

Thanks for that Jack, I’ll keep an eye on the weather :good:

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1215

Interesting comments from Roger Teal today….On their Ascot head-to-head, Teal added: “If the weather stays like it is I’d be very confident, but come mid-October it’s likely to be wet. I’ve said all along he’s bred to go on soft ground. He’s had two lesser runs on soft ground but I think we maybe read too much into that – he was weak last year.

“He’s a big, strong horse this year. Ideally you’d want some sort of good in the ground, but we go there open-minded.”

I’ve not backed Oxted this year but it is very possible the soft ground performances in his past are due more to him being weak than hating the ground. He’s out of Mayson so he should really go on soft.

Strictly on the form line through Golden Horde it would be a coin toss between Oxted and Dream of Dreams on form and one is 5/2 the other 8/1.

The concern aside about the ground. 8/1 is surely too big and not going to last too long now, so I’ve taken it as an ante post bet

Oxted 8/1

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Interesting you’ve gone for Oxted given your comments in the Sprint Cup thread!

Agree though you’d think he might handle it being by Mayson + he was half the horse on those previous efforts he’s shown he is now.

I had a random look at this race earlier + while i’m not backing them yet, i thought Art Power + Sonaiyla were overpriced.

Art Power, the angle is hopefully soft ground and 6f at Ascot. I thought the last time, while he was up front, they didn’t make enough of him. He still had petrol left in the tank + ran on again at the finish. I’d say Ascot + 6f might be up his street.
    Sonaiyla is probably a darker one especially for those not as into their Irish stuff. Incredible training by Twomey. She ran a blinder back at 5f last time, i didn’t expect her to show up as well as shes been managing to make all over 6f and 7f this year. They rode her less prominent and she found nicely to be 1L behind Glass Slippers. Ascot 6f should be right up her street and shes very gutsy.
    Don’t know if she runs though.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.