The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champion Hurdle 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Champion Hurdle 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 817 through 833 (of 881 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 2440

Im still taken with how impressive that was, an excellent performance from a very classy horse.

So nice to see that he has won a Champion Hurdle.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Why do you people have to think the worst of people.

Nothing but sour grapes!

Participant
    • Total Posts 32971

Absolutely brilliant performance.

Question:
    What do Binocular and See More Business have in comman?

Answer:
    I backed them both ante-post fully a year before their win at Cheltenham. Yet got less than SP! Got 6/1, and did not even make it value today! Thankfully did not lay it back.

Khyber Kim would’ve been a better result for me, but Binny, AP, JP, NJ and FOF deserve that.

Well done to all concerned for getting him back.

Get on @ 5/1 with Stan James and VC. Must have a better than 17% chance of winning again.

The best winner since Istabraq.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Fist, I wouldn’t have backed Binocular if it were a 1-horse field. It’s just morally wrong to call your horse a non-runner & then say 2 weeks later that he’s back in.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Very strange run from Medermit – went from travelling as well as anything to fading in a few strides and Thornton appeared to virtually give up. Drifted ominously from 6/1 to 12/1 in the last couple of days and caps an awful season for King.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Thanks for the well done’s guys. I’m especially pleased AP rode him exactly how I thought he would.

Still can’t get my head round how easily he won and too scared to count how much I’ve won so far and all those doubles still to come :oops: ………I went nuts on Betfair in running.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32971

Fist, I wouldn’t have backed Binocular if it were a 1-horse field. It’s just morally wrong to call your horse a non-runner & then say 2 weeks later that he’s back in.

That is absolute rubbish.

If a horse is so obviously feeling something the trainer must say.

If you had your way Z, no trainer would say anything, in fear of being accused of putting punters away. :roll:

Value Is Everything
    davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Well done Fist – I’m glad for you and hope you made back the losses from last year

You and McCoy are about the only 2 people I’m happy for.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

If Henderson had said that Binocular was suffering from a muscle problem and might not be ready for Cheltenham that would have been one thing, but he made it very clear that the horse would not run and proceeded to train him as normal.

I certainly have very little respect for him at the moment.

• Total Posts 113

And Binocular makes history – the first non-runner to win a championship race.

I hope JP’s winnings justified Henderson’s handling of the situation.

What about kicking king in 05?

would you rather henderson kept the problem quiet though…..and the horse ran like a drain?

He was in a lose/lose situation.

If you were in charge of the horse and he had a problem….only to recover and be fit enough to run….what would you do?

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Yep, well done – he came good for you against the odds, it has to be said! Looked finished even to connections! Career best performance from the beast.

• Total Posts 1402

If Henderson had said that Binocular was suffering from a muscle problem and might not be ready for Cheltenham that would have been one thing, but he made it very clear that the horse would not run and proceeded to train him as normal.

I certainly have very little respect for him at the moment.

The way I understand it from someone in the stable is that Henderson felt there was something wrong (hence Binocular’s poor jumping at Sandown) but wanted to perservere with him but JP wanted to take him home to get to the bottom of the problem. When nothing obvious was discovered he went back into training.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

The horse which was not meant to run – and one which the whole world was on last year at 11/8, surprisingly bolts in this year at 9/1. :shock:

Ah sure, that’s racing !

Re-arrange these words : Pulled, eyes, our, wool, over.

A nice touch JP ? :P

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Spot on, Sam. Just a shame punters forget morals when winning money is involved.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

In that case, Tuffers, Henderson should have made it clear that he thought there was a problem and that he’d be making every effort to i) get to the bottom of it and ii) get the horse to Chelteham. He chose not to, instead making the fairly unambiguous statement that he would not run (knowing full well that his training regime wouldn’t change).

A poor, poor show.

• Total Posts 1046

cannot agree more

it was perhaps the most ridiculous thing he could have said, utter shambles

• Total Posts 1402

In that case, Tuffers, Henderson should have made it clear that he thought there was a problem but that he’d be making every effort to i) get to the bottom of it and ii) get the horse to Chelteham. He chose not to, instead making the fairly unambiguous statement that he would not be running (whilst knowing full well that his training regime would not change).

A poor, poor show.

No, I don’t think that’s right. The horse did go back to JP’s and I think as far as Henderson was concerned, if the horse wasn’t in the stable, he wasn’t in training and therefore couldn’t be considered a likely runner.

It may be that Binocular does have some sort of physical problem that still hasn’t been discovered but has righted itself without intervention. That would temper enthusiasm for backing him antepost, certainly, but I pointed out on Sunday (read back to my post on this thread) that the stable considered him to be 100% so no one in the stable was misleading anyone.

It’s not as though Henderson put people away so that they missed the price. He went off the biggest price he had ever been so having turned up at the course with a clean bill of health it was open to anyone to back him.

Viewing 17 posts - 817 through 833 (of 881 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.