The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champion Hurdle 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Champion Hurdle 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 596 through 612 (of 881 total)
  • Author
    RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Thought he ran to form myself. Not top class is he we know that.

]] He was beaten by Sublimity this season, I dont think that was him running to form.

• Total Posts 1046

Sublimity is a better horse than Binocular. Sublimity is a former champion hurdler who has similar form with Solwhit and Go Native. Binocular was around a length off Go Native and won lto in his customary fashion. He’s been beaten in a Supreme and a Champion Hurdle – Punjabi is quicker than him anyway – has never won a race at bigger than 6/4, is not top class and the bookies must absolutely adore him and be praying like mad he runs on March 16th.

Just imo 8)

Duke Of Marmalade
    • Total Posts 79

Thanks for posting that, still looks like a long shot but glad I didn’t rip up those AP slips!

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Last time Sublimity and Binocular met in a CHampion Hurdle I recall Binocular beating him.

Other bits of form, Punjabi and Solwhit at there best Solwhit comes out best by a nose, Celestial Halo has quite a margin over Medermit and likes Cheltenham yet is double the price with Khyber Kim somehow drifting in the market, there is big value to be had this year.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Regardless, Binocular won’t get up the hill.

WREC
    • Total Posts 11

I was fortunate to grab 200 on Medermit on Betfair a while back for small stakes as a cover bet.

I believe Punjabi is going to be bang on song come raceday and i have this one to win a couple of grand with a friend of mine so hope that pays for the week and a profit into the bargain.

Just posted a Cheltenham Tipping Competition on my blog where the winner gets a free 50 GBP funded account with Will Hill.

You can check it out using the link attached

Good luck

WREC
    http://www.thecheltenhamfestivalblog.com/newsupdates/cheltenham-festival-tips-betting-competition/

cornflakes
    • Total Posts 40

With all due respects to Kybher Kim, but I think it would be a huge shock if he won. A place lay for me.

Fancy Go Native, Medermit and Punjabi. Have to pick one from the 3. Don’t know if Solwith has the gears to win

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Watched last years race the other night, and had forgotten how impressive Punjabi was….first 4 were way ahead of the rest, but Muirhead was a good fifth albeit with no hard luck story and no chance of threatening the leaders. Going to take a good horse to beat Punjabi.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Good thing neither Binocular nor Punchestown are housed at JIm Bolger’s yard; it would be over run with investigators.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Sublimity out of the race. Lame.

cornflakes
    • Total Posts 40

I am finding it quite difficult to find the winner of the race. All the leading players have one or two question marks. Donnas Palm at 40/1 could be an e/w shout

• Total Posts 1982

Watched last years race the other night, and had forgotten how impressive Punjabi was….first 4 were way ahead of the rest, but Muirhead was a good fifth albeit with no hard luck story and no chance of threatening the leaders.

Going to take a good horse to beat Punjabi.

Quite right, moe.

The tactics employed on Binocular was the main topic of discussion after last years Champion and, in the process, many overlooked the fact that Punjabi was a well deserving winner on the day.

Matt Chapman’s response to Punjabi on The Sunday Forum a few weeks ago said it all: "Ugh, the most boring horse ever". Very much an underrated talent.

This horse has been there and done it. He got up the hill, beat two decent horses last year and we know he can travel, jump and fight. One look at the market for the race tells me why the reigning champ is a solid choice:

Go Native: Harchibald-esque attitude
    Solwhit: Dry forecast. Testing conditions preferable
    Dunguib: Supreme Novice bound
    Zaynar: Better suited by further. Geraghty prefers Punjabi
    Medermit: Admirable, but sure to find a few too good
    Kyber Kym: Will he put best foot forward?
    Binocular: Setback
    Celestial Halo: Out of form
    Starluck: Didn’t get up the hill in Triumph last year

Punjabi has showed his wellbeing this term and thrives at this time of the year. Will be primed for this and has good record in championship races.

The one to beat, in my opinion.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Go Native: Harchibald-esque attitude

What does this mean? The horse merely idles when he hits the front, I think he will take the world of beating, he is a seriously underrated horse. Solwhit I don’t believe has the gears to win a champion hurdle. Zaynar, Punjabi and Medermit will be in the shake up.

JohnJ

shers100
    • Total Posts 10

Have to say that i like Celestial Halo £25 e/w on him at 20s but far from confident (optimistic). Hearing negative vibes from people attached to Solwhits stable regarding the ground and that if its rides on the good side being caught for toe and having to be ridden very handy and four or five horses waiting to mug him.

• Total Posts 2184

Have to say that i like Celestial Halo £25 e/w on him at 20s but far from confident (optimistic).

Hearing negative vibes from people attached to Solwhits stable

regarding the ground and that if its rides on the good side being caught for toe and having to be ridden very handy and four or five horses waiting to mug him.

The Byrnes yard are hardly notorious for talking up their horses’ chances like Paul Nicholls. I would take any noises out of that yard with a pinch of salt.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Spot on Imperial, they play their horses down big-time.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Indeed. Immediately after the Irish Champipon, Byrnes was at pains to stress that that was as good as Solwhit was, and that there wouldn’t be any improvement at Cheltenham. What a shocker.

Solwhit’s ground ‘dependency’ is also being over-played, imo. There might well be "four or five waiting to mug him" at the business-end, but the count of horses with a better attitude is zero, and I think he will be extremely hard to pass up the hill.

Viewing 17 posts - 596 through 612 (of 881 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.