The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champion Hurdle 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Champion Hurdle 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 239 through 255 (of 881 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1511

When is the Betfair Antepost market going to reopen……i want to lock in a Profit now.

I still don’t see him going for the Champion Hurdle but i can almost make 300 quid risk free

• Total Posts 128

Rich1985, just wondering about your comment regarding Celestial Halo; Just how was he unlucky in the International? He had the run of the race, and was simply beaten by a better animal on the day. Thats not unlucky, in my opinion!! :wink:

• Total Posts 128

I am really hoping that Dunguib goes for the Supreme Novices for a number of reasons. Im on him at 5/1 for the Supreme, Im on Go Native at 25’s and Kyber Kim at 40’s for the Champion! If he does run, I really just cant see anything beating him, he is a freak of an animal! At the same time, I would totally understand them running him now as he is 7 already. Not exactly a young horse, as Best Mate and Kauto Star were winning Gold Cups at that age.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

We’ll see who’s right come March.

We certainly will Rich,pre-Cheltenham tensions affect us all!The Champion hurdle will answer an awful lot this year,what with all the Binocular hasn"t trained on nonsense and Celestial Halo isn"t speedy enough and Go Natives form isn"t good enough and yet to me those three are my Tricast!! :lol:

• Total Posts 128

Ante-Post, Im not saying that Binocular is finished, but surely it seems he has regressed this year? If Henderson managed to get this animal home first in March, it would go down as an all-time great training feat. Im just praying that Dunguib stays the novice route!!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Ante-Post, Im not saying that Binocular is finished, but surely it seems he has regressed this year?

Only to the eye!Come the day, Binocular will be the horse that gets backed for the race,i can still see him going off favourite!!Big words from TAPK i know!Last year he was my lay of the meeting at 6/4,and very nearly cost me,what with the hill and that,but this year i am absolutely 100% convinced he is being laid out for the race,that is his one and only target!Like i keep saying last years race was top class and the winner will come from it! Celestial Halo.THE FORMS ROCK SOLID!

• Total Posts 1217

Aido, with regard to the International, didn’t Celestial Halo lose a shoe or pecked badly on landing due to a slight dip in the ground or something? I didn’t see the race but this is what I’ve heard…might be wrong though.

• Total Posts 128

Rich1985, Rubys and Paul Nicholls exact words: We dont know why he was beaten, he was ready for this, he got his own way out in front, and we expected him to win.

Im not saying he CANT win the Champion Hurdle, as it appears very open, but he, like Binocular, and to a lesser extent, Punjabi, have it all to prove now. The form horses as things stand are Go Native, Kyber Kim and Solwhit, in my opinion. As Ive said before, Im convinced Zaynar will be tapped for toe at a crucial point of the race, and the mare, VLV, has to earn the right to run, as I dont think beating Go Native, with everything stacked in her favour, gives her that. Go Native has shown the strongest form over the season, and unless something improves dramatically, or Dunguib runs, I wont be deserting him.

• Total Posts 1217

Well I’m glad someone agrees with me on Go Native!

Maybe it was just a one off bad day with respect to Celestial Halo, they’re just horses after all, too soon to write him off.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

All Celestial Halo has to prove is that his lto run wasn’t his true form – which I’m fairly certain he’ll do convincingly.
    After chasing a searing pace for the first 10f he then went flat out from 6f out, and had nothing left to give when the 2 who had sat out the back came to challenge him. Ruby rode one of his rare injudicious races, and neither trainer or jockey are likely to admit it publicly, nor is it probable the mistake will be repeated.
    Whether that means he’s good enough to win this year’s CH is a moot point, though he’ll certainly go close, and equally certainly those who’ve supported Medermit or Khyber Kim on their proximity to him won’t even collect on their place money – and that you can take to the bank.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

Well I’m glad someone agrees with me on Go Native!

Rich, why are you wanting others to agree with you? Yes you want people to spot the positives but the reason you get long priced winners and placed horses is because many people dont agree. Chances are, if you get a longer priced winner, its because others dont share your view.

• Total Posts 1217

Well I’m on at 20/1 for GN for the CH so I’m not too bothered on that front, I just like it when people agree with me that’s all!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Well I’m on at 20/1 for GN for the CH so I’m not too bothered on that front, I just like it when people agree with me that’s all!

For what its worth Rich,if there is one horse who will get the padded cell treatment its Go Native,when there is a £1m on the table,you can guarantee your horse will get the 5 star treatment from now to March 16th,if he gets there in one piece,then he"s got all the ticks in the right boxes,Good ground,he travels with ease,he jumps quick and accurately,and he quickens instantly!So long as he doesn"t have to battle against a proper heavyweight (Celestial Halo) then he must be right there when it matters!

• Total Posts 1046

Well he doesn’t tick all the boxes as I’ve said, but people see what they want to see…

I’d rather not wind people up about his form, but safe to say Solwhit beat Sublimity by 2L, like Go Native did but off a huge crawl, and any horse that can only beat Starluck a neck or whatever has me reaching for the "no chance" quotes. But you never know. Form is rank average, safe to say.

• Total Posts 128

Big Bucks, Ive said it before, il say it again; The Fighting Fifth was the same for all the horses involved! And the quicker they go, the better Go Native is. His 2 most recent wins have shown what a devestating turn of foot he has, one that can carry him past stayers like Zaynar and Solwhit. He is the horse to beat, no doubt!!

• Total Posts 1046

Fair enough I haven’t had a bet yet and will leave it until nearer the time.
    The FF was indeed the same for all horses and ergo it’s plain that the least suited to such a race is a horse that gets 20f standing on his head. As pleasing as it is visually to see a horse like GN cruise up and sprint that is not the race we’re going to get in the champion hurdle, unless there are injuries.

Fwiw were the CH not guaranteed to be run at such a strong clip on watered g/s at least, I’d be all over GN…but it seems the "lesson of binocular" has been quickly forgotten…apparently unbeatable early season, people rushing to their wallets, only for him to face a very different test in the CH, and find that other horses not only have better tactical speed, but greater resolution up the hill.

GN may be just as effective off a very strong pace at the very top level, although I would seriously doubt that as any number of Christmas Hurdle winners will testify; but he will be stretched out like Binocular was and therefore he has it all to do. The best form on offer is champion hurdle winning form, so long as such horses are in the same form the following year. In that respect Punjabi is being brought to a peak where GN has already peaked and must now do so again. Solwhit has only been beaten in a farce of a race, and for those of us that rate 543’s Ballymore win extremely highly, Solwhit is something of a monster in waiting, his beating of the unlucky (fitness wise) grey ranking right up there.

It’s hard to write off Halo but a succession of bruising races may be getting to him, difficult to say though. I backed him last year, but probably not this. Zaynar looks top-class, but he can’t half clatter a hurdle and it would be nice to see him tested over 2m against decent horses. Probably the best 2miler in the stable but lack of battle experience is a major concern…like GN in a weaker year he’d be of major interest.

I think people are wanting a superstar to solve the puzzle, hence the superlatives heaped on his turn of foot, just like Bino last year. The form doesn’t say that though. The superstar is probably MDH or to a lesser extent Dunguib, but the rest are what they are and as such I share Tom Segal’s opinion that race conditions and tactics on the day will provide the answer. That said, I think a similar race to last year looks assured in that sense, so I know who I’m leaning towards, but you never know.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

As it goes I agree with Go Native. He impressed immensely in last years Supreme with the way he travelled. Thats the race that shows he copes off a faster pace. In some respects his win in the Fighting Fifth put the cat amongst the pigeons a bit as defeat there and he would have remained a nice price for the Champion. As it is value has gone but as with last years Supreme I am sure he may drift nearer to the race when the money comes for Binocular/Celestial Halo/Zaynar/Punjabi and may mean we can get 8-1 on the day – a stonking each way bet in my book.

And I agree…it is good when people share the same views as yourself sometimes. Lets Go Native!

Viewing 17 posts - 239 through 255 (of 881 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.