The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champion bumper

Home Forums Archive Topics Champion bumper

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 9

Because entries were made today. They’ll be published on Thursday along with the Mares’.

Thanks for the info…the perils of backing in the bumper that early rears it’s ugly head once again after Hidden Cyclone. :(

• Total Posts 343

defection of shuttherfrontdoor and sword of honour just pushes me closer to Moscow mannon.

Top up time.

Clonbannan is decent too but the soft ground worries concern me.

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

defection of shuttherfrontdoor and sword of honour just pushes me closer to Moscow mannon.

Top up time.

On at 25s + 16s already….but i wont be able to resist getting some more down on course :)

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Zarkava, where did you hear that Fickle Fortune is a definite NR?

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

Zarkava, where did you hear that Fickle Fortune is a definite NR?

Noel Meade said she’d go to Aintree. Looks like a possible change of plan so 14s NRNB B365 worth a dabble.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

What JP Ferguson horses are left in?

And anyone have any info on Moscow Mannon’s jockey?

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Has ridden in a couple of quality bumpers where the horse comfortably beat Joxer ( who has form with The Midnight Game and Allure Of Illusion ) and the Mullins horse Morning Royalty ( which is probably one of his best )

Seems to have a good judge of pace and the horse is ridden prominently = can’t see many problems.

• Total Posts 9

JP Ferguson still has New Years Eve and Population in.

• Total Posts 26

The bumper isn’t normally a race I would pay too much attention to as it’s very hard to guage the form of many of the runners but was rather bored last night and decided to have a go…..

One horse imparticular struck me, Sir Johnson. Not necessarily the winner of the race, but certainly one which I believe to be the best value.

Has won four straight bumpers, the last of which was a listed contest at Aintree over 17f (and really asserted over the last furlong which would bode well for getting up the hill) in which he carried 7lbs more than Royal Guardsman and beat him quite well. The only article I can find on the horse is an interview done with his trainer after the race in which he said he’ll either be put away espcially for Cheltenham or he’d go hurdling straight away, and the former has obviously been decided upon.

Plus even if following top speed and RPR he isn’t too bad on TS of 75 and RPR of 126.

While I’d imagine Royal Guardman will have come on further than Sir Johnson, I can’t see a reason for the huge difference in prices.

I’m a novice when it comes to the bumper game so am I missing something and can anybody clue me in?

aston
    • Total Posts 168

I like Clonbannan Lad a lot in this. Have a look at his last run, where he smashed a well touted Mullins horse. Although both wins came on soft ground he won a point on good ground. I presume they will stick with Mikey O’Connor, and this is my main concern. A decent jock, but I would prefer to see a strong pro in the saddle as the race can get very rough and a calm confident head is a plus. 16/1 is generous. He would be half that at least if in a bigger yard, based on what he has shown.

• Total Posts 1217

I’m still keen on The New One for this, yard have been quiet this season but often come good at the festival. Virginia Ash boosted the form last week. Only stat that tempers enthusiasm is the poor record of 4 year olds – only 2 winners since the race started in 1992…

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Royal Guardsman got some favourable mentions in Cheltenham preview nights and now in to a top price of 8/1.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

After realising Gevrey Chambertin was CLEARLY never intended for the bumper and isn’t quick enough….. :roll:

Moscow Mannon is a solid favourite and I fancy him big time. Big time outsider has to be Horatio Hornblower. No specific form to speak of after 1 run, but Nick Williams likes him, and he’s well bred. Worth keeping an eye on at least.

• Total Posts 121

Nick said he’d only run on soft,very eye catching the first day.

GDC
    • Total Posts 939

Boz: No specific form :oops:

To run in a Grade One bumper at Newbury against unbeaten horses is ‘I would say’ fair enough form! The jockey took it remarkably easy but despite being well bred it is rather off putting to hear the trainer say he needs soft ground! Too late for me, my money went down as soon as he was offered in the betting :D

This has the looking of being one of the worst ever Championship Bumpers though, cannot have the Irish again this year as normally by now they are extremely short priced with a favourite!

Royal Guardsman is the one to beat and The New One may go well

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

The bumper isn’t normally a race I would pay too much attention to as it’s very hard to guage the form of many of the runners but was rather bored last night and decided to have a go…..

One horse imparticular struck me, Sir Johnson. Not necessarily the winner of the race, but certainly one which I believe to be the best value.

Has won four straight bumpers, the last of which was a listed contest at Aintree over 17f (and really asserted over the last furlong which would bode well for getting up the hill) in which he carried 7lbs more than Royal Guardsman and beat him quite well. The only article I can find on the horse is an interview done with his trainer after the race in which he said he’ll either be put away espcially for Cheltenham or he’d go hurdling straight away, and the former has obviously been decided upon.

Plus even if following top speed and RPR he isn’t too bad on TS of 75 and RPR of 126.

While I’d imagine Royal Guardman will have come on further than Sir Johnson, I can’t see a reason for the huge difference in prices.

I’m a novice when it comes to the bumper game so am I missing something and can anybody clue me in?

I think you will find I discovered the wheel on the 23rd January – sometimes it’s an idea to read through threads.

Participant
    • Total Posts 647

I’m also in the Sir Johnson camp, certainly has the form in the book, looks overpriced at 20/1, is Royal Guardsman certain to overturn the form? Judging by the market yes but I’ll take my chances on the 20/1.

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.