The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Celtic Son and Todays racing

Home Forums Horse Racing Celtic Son and Todays racing

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    TheOneAndOnlyTonyMcCoy
    • Total Posts 202

Hi there fellow punters, did anyone see the 1.10 at Taunton today?
    Celtic Son was sent off 1/2 favourite in a poor 4 horse race, 3 out, 4 lenghts down to cousin nicky after both having bad jumps and coming up to the second last, TJ Murphy had it in the bag, on and off the bridle, where as Cousin Nicky was getting pushed along bad and some how Celtic Son lost by a Short Head. Funny Game :? Did anyone see the race?
    Please may i have your views please

Still

Ashwell 3/1
    Hypnotic Vibes 8/1
    Gentle John 10/3 in a lucky 15, 10p e/w = £30 win :)

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

I was a layer of Celtic Son in running as he has a serious breathing problem and finds nil for pressure. I thought Timmy Murphy gave him every chance but a friend of mine who is an excellent judge thought it was a terrible ride. It takes all sorts!

no idea
    • Total Posts 685

Yes, I saw the race and it was a poor ride by Murphy.

Had he gone on leaving the back stright and gone for home I think he would have won by several lengths. He appearred to be going far better after 4 out than Cousin Nicky, yet Murphy seemed content to sit in behind and a bad jump 3 out cost him 4-5 lenghts, vital momentum and the race.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Yes I watched the race and was surprised Celtic Son got beat after the way the race panned out.

Celtic Son was arguably going the better (though not by much) and I was just wondering why Timmy had him 4 lengths down rather than 2 lengths down. Celtic Son was being rousted along to quicken and seemed to do so, but a few poor jumps sort of halted his momentum slightly.

Having said all that, Timmy still got the horse upsides (and possibly a nostril in front) with the post looming but Cousin Nicky just pulled out that little bit extra.

I don’t think there was anything wrong with the ride other than he could have been a length or so closer jumping the 3rd and 2nd last – but there is absolutely no guarantee that Celtic Son would have won had he been so.

Mike

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

I just found it a bit of a shame for Taunton that its being one of the first courses (if not the first) to hold one of the new raft of claiming chases was not rewarded with a bigger and better turnout.

I’m actually delighted to see a small upturn in the number of selling chases in the last few years, and now the return as well of claiming equivalents after a hiatus of some 15 years or so (I certainly remember the likes of Wolverhampton still holding the odd one or two of these just into the 1990s).

What has been behind this assumption in the intervening period that any animal you’d want to try to get rid of at selling / claiming level would be seen in its best, most saleable light over hurdles?

It’s one of the reasons why the 3m1f amateur riders’ selling handicap chase at Hexham every March or April has long since been one of my favourite contests – a proper event for low-grade slogging chasers specifically intended to attract anyone after such a low-grade slogging chaser!

Away from rants about race programming, I’ll tell you who the real winner of the day was. It was our old chum Dr Philip Pritchard.

I know his placement of the superannuated in Graded races for useful bits of prizemoney rankles with some, but he reminded us today that he can prove just as astute at a lower level. Three horses – all certainly past their best but nonetheless perfectly safe conveyances – stood their ground in the chases, all three of which had cut up to penny numbers of runners, and between them they bagged a second and two thirds as sufficient of their rivals failed to complete or give their running.

What is there really to condemn here when the three horses’ combined efforts were unspectacular enough to ensure no punitive rise up the weights is likely to ensue, yet at the same time scooped the good Doctor a pretty handy £4,500 altogether?

I reckon it must be terrific fun to be an owner with Dr Pritchard. See the Grade 1 tracks and enjoy the top-class cards, whilst picking up the occasional nice bit of bargeld both at these and the smaller meetings as well. Hmm, where do I sign?

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

the welsh wizard
    • Total Posts 352

I thought Timmy Murphy gave Celtic Son a hell of a ride…..to keep him sweet enough to challenge after the last was an exercise in kidology implemented to perfection. Anyone laying those odds guilty of a triumph of hope over experience I am afraid. Can it more than coincidence that M.C./D.E. Pipe’s train an incredible ratio of horses that find nil for pressure, or opposite in extremis are shoved along for 75% of a race while finding like fury?

the welsh wizard
    • Total Posts 352

I reckon it must be terrific fun to be an owner with Dr Pritchard. See the Grade 1 tracks and enjoy the top-class cards, whilst picking up the occasional nice bit of bargeld both at these and the smaller meetings as well. Hmm, where do I sign?
    (graysonscolumn)

If you can stand the humiliation of owning the only horse in the paddock beforehand who hasn’t been clipped and has a gut to rival Ted Hankey, darts player, it’s a grand plan.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

If you can stand the humiliation of owning the only horse in the paddock beforehand who hasn’t been clipped and has a gut to rival Ted Hankey, darts player, it’s a grand plan.

After years of trolling round racehorses after the equally lardy Cregg Rose and Cloigeann Rua, what would be the difference?

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

I laid Celtic Sun today on two points; the distance of the race and being a small field, likely lack of pace and possible sprint finish. All of CS’s winning form is over further. If the race had been run at a strong pace it would probably have won.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Celtic Son wasn’t fluent at several fences, was outjumped 3 out and could have done with a stronger pace.
    That said Murphy cajoled it to go upsides the winner but it appeared reluctant to go past in second time headgear.
    Not surprised that no-one would claim him for £28k plus VAT.
    Pipe snr. reportedly blamed jumping errors while Murphy said it was "not the horse it was".
    Perhaps owner Johnson will transfer it North to join his other Pipe cast offs at P Montieth’s

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

I was at Taunton yesterday and I have to tell you (copywright – Claude Duval) that Celtic Son looked as if he would rather have been somewhere else.

I feel his enthusiasm for the racing game may have somewhat dissipated.

His class should have won him this race, the winner was always being ridden and Timmy certainly had the horse in the right place jumping the last, at that point he looked an odds-on shot, if you were unaware of the horse’s history.

Colin

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I watched the race and though from three fences out that Celtic Son wouldn’t win. The horse is not punter friendly (ungenuine) and to be honest, I wasn’t totally enamoured with the ride Timmy Murphy gave the horse, or indeed his willingness and desire to win the race – a race incidentally, on form, Celtic Son should have won quite easily.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.