The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Catterick bumper winner lands Canadian International

Home Forums Horse Racing Catterick bumper winner lands Canadian International

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Happy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

Collier Hill has just won the Canadian International at Woodbine. Kicked for home turning into the straight and although he was narrowly headed by Go Deputy near the line he bravely stuck his head down and got it on the line.

Another amazing performance by an amazing horse and true testament to the brilliance of Alan Swinbank.

(Edited by Happy Jack at 9:32 pm on Oct. 22, 2006)

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Who was placed happy jack?

Happy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

Go Deputy short-head second, Sky Conqueror and Blue Monday a distant third and fourth. Kastoria (5/2 fav) missed the break, raced wide throughout and was never in it.

(Edited by Happy Jack at 9:43 pm on Oct. 22, 2006)

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

I guess mine was the last to drop over the line. lol

griff11
    Participant
    • Total Posts 116

I suspect there is a bit more to Kastoria’s run as she seemed to slip coming out of the stalls and ran with her tail raised until the first bend. Although she trailed the field, she did move up into a challenging position around the final bend, but never really picked up. Whether she didn’t like the soft ground, or something was amiss from the stalls incident, I don’t know.

Great to see Collier Hill put up a really good performance to hold off Deputy Go, especially for as he’s an 8yo. Dean McKeown gave him good ride, which is more than can be said for Mick Kinane in the E.P Taylor Stakes. A nice prize of $1.2million for the winning connections, may inspire a few more of your Euros to make the trip over. Blue Monday picked up $120,000 for fourth.

Wonderful to see Mac Benson take the E.P Taylor with his grand 3yo filly Arravale. He’s an old time trainer here, a real horseman, with some good supporting owners. He is the sort to let the horses do the talking and this one certainly has. She won the G1 Del Mar Oaks last time out, so was obviously good, but she had a bit to prove in this race. She’d never raced as far as the 10f’s before, nor raced on anything easier than good, but today the ground was no problem and the trip wasn’t either. Now they will have to think about the Breeders Cup.

Both of the Nicholls horses (Moss Vale and Peace Offering) finished out of the first three in the $500,000 G2 Neartic Stakes, with the race going to Fast Parade, who I believe was a $4,500 purchase as a yearling.  

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Six different countries. One and a half mill in prize money. And started off in a bumper.

I cannot believe that this horse does not get more plaudits. Is it because he tends not to race much over here? Hard to believe he got beat in a slog against the Listed race winner Wunderwood a month or so back.

Apparently he would not be denied and battled all the way to the line. I love that trait in a horse. He reminds me a little of Bill Watt’s amazing gelding Teleprompter.

I’m no great follower of the stable but this is one magnificent performance. Well done.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Maxilon 5 on 2:37 pm on Oct. 23, 2006[br]<br>Hard to believe he got beat in a slog against the Listed race winner Wunderwood a month or so back.

<br>That doesn’t quite tell the whole story, as he was biffed in the face by Wunderwood’s rider’s whip at least once late on in that Salisbury race. He kept on keeping on even so, but it was enough to make the difference on the day.

gc<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Happy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

Graysonscolumn

This is a thread about Flat racing, did you realise that?

:o

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Er…. um…. ahh….

Given that nugget of info from me, and the revelation that I tipped the 14-1 winner of the fillies’ handicap on the same card, my rightful claim to be Mr Low-Grade Jumps (TM) has indeed been severely compromised, HJ. :footinmouth:

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.