The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Captain Tom Moore ~ Chart Topper

Home Forums Lounge Captain Tom Moore ~ Chart Topper

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 202

Sir Tom Moore now – no surprise there

paulostermeyerpaulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4585

I suspect I’m going to be very unpopular here but that’s never worried me before.

I think the knighthood is OTT – am MBE maybe but not a knighthood. It’s more a case of Boris trying to be popularist.

There are thousands of people out there who tirelessly raise thousands, tens of thousands even more who get no recognition – nor do most of them expect it.

Yes he did raise a ridiculously large amount but it only happened because of the exploitation amd manipulation of the media – he just hapened to be a totum – at the end of the day it could have been anyone who was picked on.

I would venture to suggest had BBC Breakfast not picked up on his story and flogged it to death we would never have heard of him.

I wish the man no ill will, he seems a decent chap, and the money he has raised is magnificent.

However he has only come to prominence due to the mass hysteria generated by the media – it reminds me of the hysteria that swept the country when some woman died in a car crash in Paris in 1996.

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5085

Not unpopular here

Tom Moore seems a thoroughly decent and humble chap who had a nice idea and carried it out. The public took him to their hearts (who couldn’t?) and generously donated millions

Unfortunately the media and particularly politicians have appropriated him for their own ends

The Soma and Feelies of Huxley’s Brave New World

Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 202

Agreed

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2260

I think this could be to do with age. Obviously Tom could have carried on raising money for various causes over the next 30 years but I think age maybe against him. Although I do agree Boris has done this to be popular with the people/media etc. and even deflect the attention away from the complete mess the government have made, Tom can hardly do 20-30 years more fundraising to gain an honour such as this.

MatronMatron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5776

This an interesting article of how the”spin” started:

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/people/captain-tom-moores-ps32-million-fundraiser-originally-introduced-world-former-northampton-student-2858119

I also agree that a “knighthood” was not warranted.

paulostermeyerpaulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4585

Interesting but unsurprising article Matron.

I’m not at all surprised the daughter had something to do with it.

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17057

Yeah, the Twitter Sleuths were all over it early doors, certainly puts a different slant on it, for all you can’t take a thing away from him.

Not surprisingly, considering the cesspit that is Twitter, some of the reports were pretty savage.

Latest rumour doing the rounds is that he’s going to be the star of The John Lewis Christmas Ads.

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5085

Well I do hope the old gent doesn’t catch Covid from all these hacks, sharks and shits circling around him

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2260

Latest rumour doing the rounds is that he’s going to be the star of The John Lewis Christmas Ads.

Two big IFS there. Will either be still going around this time?

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 267

Good luck to him but this whole media circus around him has gone way too far. He’s 100 FFS, leave the man alone. He’s raised a few quid now let him have a well deserved rest.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.