The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Britannia 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

Anyone backing anything drawn 20 and above?

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

The thing to realise is that the Clerk of the Course can vary the amount of water applied to different parts of the track, so that the draw bias might disappear, or reassert in a different form. Having said that, I haven’t checked whether there will be any watering tonight.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29194

Agree Gerald, there may not be a draw advantage tomorrow, but it’s worth taking a chance.

Have taken 8/1 Brief Encounter, 18/1 River Captain and 25/1 Eastern Empire in the Britannia.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

IT seems bookmakers are just shortening up those drawn low. Couldn’t get the 8/1 Brief Encounter but took the 25/1 Eastern Empire. Must be a strong a possibility Brief Encounter will go off favourite. All the horses I originally fancied are drawn high so just wondering whether it is worth risking one of them.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29194

IT seems bookmakers are just shortening up those drawn low. Couldn’t get the 8/1 Brief Encounter but took the 25/1 Eastern Empire. Must be a strong a possibility Brief Encounter will go off favourite. All the horses I originally fancied are drawn high so just wondering whether it is worth risking one of them.

Oddschecker still says 8’s is still available at Ladbrokes for Brief Encounter.

I suspect tomorrows Racing Post will be full of the draw advantage and it may be worth waiting to back a high draw if you’re thinking about it Stilvi. With the trade paper’s influence on the market most high draws are likely to drift.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

Oddschecker still says 8’s is still available at Ladbrokes for Brief Encounter.

I suspect tomorrows Racing Post will be full of the draw advantage and it may be worth waiting to back a high draw if you’re thinking about it Stilvi. With the trade paper’s influence on the market most high draws are likely to drift.

Mark

Thanks, I must admit I was looking around for the 5 places so I didn’t look at Ladbrokes.

Just wondering given the expected lack of money for those drawn high whether any bookmakers will price up the two halves to generate some interest?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

The thing to realise is that the Clerk of the Course can vary the amount of water applied to different parts of the track, so that the draw bias might disappear, or reassert in a different form. Having said that, I haven’t checked whether there will be any watering tonight.

They’d hardly spend millions on rebuilding the straight course, much of it on state-of-the-art drainage, to have to water out biases, now would they?
    The only bias that exists is in the jockey’s heads, made abundantly clear by the wave of horses drawn 15-23 in today’s Hunt Cup, who inconvenienced their mounts more than a little by switching across the course to tag onto the near side group.
    That isn’t to say exactly the same won’t happen tomorrow in the Britainnia, but it will have far more to do with the herd mentality than any ground inconsistency.
    As it stands, there are enough prominent racers drawn high for lack of far-side pace not to be a problem, and at 13/2, I’m willing to take the risk that Desert Creek will have sufficient impetus, and prove the best of them.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Worryingly I’m on Eastern Empire too, as well as Mirrorred at 20-1. Reet is spot on- this is the fairest track ever built, unfortunately.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29194

Worryingly I’m on Eastern Empire too, as well as Mirrorred at 20-1. Reet is spot on- this is the

fairest track ever built

, unfortunately.

It might have been before they dug it up. Think the evidence suggests these days it favours a low draw, sometimes slightly, sometimes more so.

It is now in my opinion not the fairest course in Berkshire, let alone ever built.

Newbury

Mark

Value Is Everything
    carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

I think you’ll find by the end of the week that if a decent group stay far side and get a good tow they’ll be competitive. As Reet says, any bias is more to do with the jockeys all deciding to come stand side than due to any inherent difference in the two sides. I’ll be on the lay side if you want to bet that horses like Lovelace were seroiusly inconvenienced by their draws this week.
    btw, I think everybody knows your name by now :lol:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Make that three on Eastern Empire, though I’ve had to accept 20/1 as I don’t have a Blue Square account any more.

I also quite like the look of Secret Society – he perhaps isn’t brilliantly drawn in the centre of the track, but a strong pace should suit and he won extremely well (in the end) last time.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

Appears to be no money for Eastern Empire which is a little worrying considering he is drawn well and looks progressive. Interesting support for Emirates Roadshow given that the horse pulls hard, has a high head carriage and the jockey is probably low on confidence. Of the high numbers some support for Mirrored who along with Espiritu and Suruor would have been one of my fancies from the high numbers.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29194

I think you’ll find by the end of the week that if a decent group stay far side and get a good tow they’ll be competitive. As Reet says, any bias is more to do with the jockeys all deciding to come stand side than due to any inherent difference in the two sides. I’ll be on the lay side if you want to bet that horses like Lovelace were seroiusly inconvenienced by their draws this week.

Just there is a bias Carv, that’s not to say it is impossible to win from a high draw. Obviously pace is going to be another factor, if the best pace is far side it’s possible that side will win a race or two, despite the bias.

With bunching towards the stand side, there is also the probability of some trouble in running for those held up drawn near the rail. Just a chance you’ve got to take.

Fingers crossed.

Value Is Everything
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Deadly Secret 40/1 ew could run a big race. Bit of a gamble last time that went wrong but he could be better than his bare form suggests.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Big draw bias all right Ginger, at least a neck :D

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

:lol: What a line!

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29194

Big draw bias all right Ginger, at least a neck :D

As I said Carv, the bias is only part of the race. Pace is also vitally important. As the commentator said, the far side was in front halfway. With the obvious low drawn pace horse River Captain not acting on the going, they were some way behind. Despite that, one who raced in the stand side group won.

Had the pace been level then…….

Shame about the bias Carv, otherwise you would’ve had the winner. Unlucky.

Value Is Everything
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.