The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Retirements

Home Forums Horse Racing Retirements

Viewing 17 posts - 579 through 595 (of 1,156 total)
  • Author
    Dragut
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29

I’d be fascinated to learn which horse has jumped the most Grand National fences. West Tip must surely be up there, completed five Nationals and got to second Bechers on another occasion.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4719

@Golden Miller is probably the man to answer that question.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

Vieux Lion Rouge must have jumped a few.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

When it comes to owners (over the National fences), I’d like to think the Ruckers are in a league of their own.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1709

By my reckoning Amberleigh House jumped 245 fences over 11 races over the National fences (without ever falling) while Vieux Lion Rouge jumped 253 fences over 11 races (falling once and unseating once). Pretty incredible records.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1612

Peter.h, it makes no difference to Vieux Lion Rouge being the “winner”, but I get 244 fences for Amberleigh House! In order from the oldest race, my counts are 7 (then brought down), 22, 18, 22, 30, 21 (one fence omitted due to low sun), 30, 22, 30, 22, 20 (then pulled up). Happy to be corrected if this is wrong.

I also wondered about Manifesto and Big Fella Thanks as contenders for this title, but their counts are both considerably lower. For Manifesto I’m basing this on his Grand National record only, and do not know if there was other racing over the National course in his era (1890s-1900s).

Participant
    • Total Posts 2274

Anythingforlove retired

VF x

Participant
    • Total Posts 2993

Hogan’s Height retired. Wonderful horse for Foxtrot Racing & Jamie Snowden.

Participant
    • Total Posts 7516

Lake View Lad has been retired by Nick Alexander.

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5976

Loved old Lakeview lad , winning the many Clouds for Trevor hemmings was prob his best day

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1612

Politologue bows out with an honourable fourth in the Queen Mother Champion Chase, and over £1 million of career earnings. His farewell parade of honour at Cheltenham was very well deserved.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1612

It would feel remiss not to mention the wonderful Tiger Roll on this thread, though I suspect anyone reading this comment will be well aware already…

Participant
    • Total Posts 2274

I’m going miss the little legend Tiger, even though we knew it was coming, just so used to looking forward to him every season

VF x

Participant
    • Total Posts 2274

Hogan’s Heights, Talkischeap, Goodtoknow, sizing at midnight, Agrapart, keeper hill

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1612

The BHA have finally updated the non-racing agreements list on their website for the first time since August 2021. A few names that caught my eye among the additions to the list, and that I hadn’t seen reported as retired previously, are:

Beware The Bear
    Doing Fine
    Duc Des Genievres
    Fingerontheswitch
    Glen Rocco
    Kloud Gate
    Red Giant
    Ted Veale
    The Dutchman
    The Young Master
    Tobefair
    Upswing

Wishing all of the new retirees on the list a long and happy retirement :heart:

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7604

Some good names there, happy retirement all

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

The Young Master was a little bit of a cliff horse for me – he won that race at Wincanton that he wasn’t eligible to enter and from then I always had him down as one to win a biggie. Turns out his biggie was what used to be the Whitbread but was still always good to watch.

Duc De Genievres is, I fear, an Arkle winner we can file under “Future Pointless Answers”, but he still won the damn thing!

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

Viewing 17 posts - 579 through 595 (of 1,156 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.