The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Bjorne Neilson too much breeding speed to speed.

Home Forums Horse Racing Bjorne Neilson too much breeding speed to speed.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 684

I thought Stradivarius and English kings owner made a very very pertinent point re the current trends in breeding. Too many are just wanting speed horses and top class 12 to 16f horses are getting rarer. You can see in the poor quality fields in both the derbies and the lack of opposition to Stradivarius in the stayers where Kew Gardens retirement has robbed us of some classic duels.
    Coolmore get slated for many things but without them breeding staying types where would middle distancing racing be. The derby has a favourite highly unlikely to stay, a second fav who on form is inferior to a queens vase winner while aiden has a Hampton court winner, a horse miles behind in preparation and a Guineas runner up by a miler.
    I for one love the 12 to 16f racing and hope that the trend for speed is lessened before it’s too late.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3435

Even the mighty Coolmore have to have a saleable product and tend to try to get some of their horses to win over 2f shorter if they can.

One potential bright spot is the popularity of the Melbourne Cup and the market for European staying horses to be sold to race there. Most of them have been gelded but some- Southern France and Constantinople for example- are still entire I think. I expect the Aussies would like to expand their own staying breeding operations. There os that valuable staying handicap on Saudi Cup day too. Do you think the Yanks might get interested in stayers as well? though it’s not really their racing style! But the more international interest the better.

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 684

Hopefully the Aussies will get their middl distance horse breeding going but they have the same issues as Britain. Massive amount of sprinters and horses aimed at the cox plate. Coolmore in Australia is more a holding operation for horses transferee out there to run. Hope stallions like Adelaide will produce top class 10 to 16f horses. Too many horses here are seen as cup horses as an afterthought which is frustrating with the stayers now a hugely popular division with the punters. Maybe it’s just the way it is but horses like ardross,celeriac and sagaro were fabulous horses. Sagaro cantering to win the gold cup was breathtaking.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3435

You’re right about cup horses being an afterthought and I do wonder if Kew Gardens would have been sent over 2m if he’d been trained in a small stable rather than one that is coming down with 12f horses.

Cancello
    Participant
    • Total Posts 92

Don’t think we’ll ever get an Owen Tudor siring an Abernant and Tudor Minstrel again.

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 189

Get the yanks interested in stayers?
    Better chance of finding Elvis living on the moon with Marilyn Monroe than getting them to breed stayers where 10f is considered a marathon!
    good luck to all

chestnut
    Participant
    • Total Posts 485

It is a problem but one that has been here, one and off, for a number of years.

I believe the Prix du Jockey Club ‘French Derby’ was reduced from 1m4f to 1m2.5f in 2005 because the lnger races were becoming less ‘fashionable’

And no race should be termed a Derby unless it is 1m4f.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.