The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Big Mac Being Made A Part Timer

Home Forums Horse Racing Big Mac Being Made A Part Timer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

Plenty of people seem to dislike him but should he be going before the likes of Lesley Graham, Alice Plunkett & GG?

I think not.

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4822

McCririck and Red Rum got me interested in horseracing. I will be sad to see less of him on our screens. A unique part of British racing and although he keeps it well hidden most of the time a very capable journalist / interviewer when he wants to be.

We’ll miss him when he’s gone.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

On the balance of things, I like McCririck and I think he is more positive than negative for the sport as a whole.

He is often the only member of the Channel 4 team to bring up issues like overrounds etc and other issues like the whip issue which has been debated here as well.

I dislike him when he becomes a caricature of himself though, which he often does. Whether this is put-on or real I don’t know but his knowledge of the sport is overshadowed by his "McCririckness" when this happens which is not a good thing.

I really dislike his referring to Tanya as "female/femail"

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27766

Wonder if cutting back on McCrirrick is something to do with the big mans health.

His head and hands never seem to be still (shaking).

Hope I am wrong.

He is not the punters pal he likes people to believe but has done a lot to popularise the sport, for all his faults.

Ginge

value is everything
    Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Channel 4 "want to bring along new talent". If that means more people like Tom Lee, Lesley Graham and that horrible Plunkett woman god help us all.

If they want to make cutbacks why weren’t these people got rid of completely? Then of course there’s Thommo, Emma Spencer and the past it Graham Goode – to put it mildly these people are poor, very poor.

Channel 4 apparently has a wide range of presenters that appeal to different people – its a racing show not a manufactured pop group albeit I accept a racing programme aimed at a different type of audience to those you’d expect to watch RUK.

Channel 4’s coverage does need improvement I don’t deny that for a second but there are others that should have been sacrificed long before Big Mac – he’s the face of Channel 4 racing (for want of a better phrase", a character and has been a part of racing for long time. I realise he isn’t everyones cup of tea but he’s done more good for racing than he’s done bad and he is by no means the weakest link on Channel 4 racing.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

He is not the punters pal he likes people to believe.

Why do you say that?

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

He is not a pleasant person and frankly the youngr chap who is better looking ( and better turned out)and knows how too a pc, he is a museum peice.

As for the cockney sparrow, i prefer claire balding, she looks a lady you really can have a good time with at the races compared too the chimney sweep of channel four….. :P

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4518

As a person it would probably be hard to find anyone worse but he does serve a purpose. Unfortunately, there are already too many cooks on Channel 4 Racing who serve no purpose whatsoever. Mind you, I look forward to seeing Lord Snooty being torn to shreds in the ‘betting jungle’.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4518

I don’t think so as he has expressed those views for some time – I tend to think the pro-whip brigade like to hear them anyway just so they can ridicule him.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

Wasn’t he partly responsible for saving the Grand National many years ago, and for that I will always be indebted to him. I hope it isn’t a health issue, but it has concerned me for a long time the way that his hands shake. I really like Alice and Leslie Graham, but can’t stand Emma Spencer….however, with the BBC’s commitment to racing getting less and less I wish that Clare Balding could freelance for Channel 4; I’m sure she’d enjoy herself enormously.

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

I would love too see claire balding knock will carson off his box with her her mircophone….. :D

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

Lesley Graham doesn’t like NH racing so why did she have such a prominent role at Cheltenham?

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Lesley Graham doesn’t like NH racing so why did she have such a prominent role at Cheltenham?

Why does she have any role at all? She offers nothing other than a permanent false grin. Then you have Tom Lee who has all the personality of a drainage system and Plunkett who has the looks of a spitting image puppet and the personality of an adolescent school girl.

Come on, these people have no place on a racing programme surely!

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

Exactly.

We also don’t need to know during a racing programme that Tanya fancies the cricketer Stephen Fleming and likes American Football or that Alice has the hots for Sam Thomas and is mates with Madonna.

Having said that, I could write an essay on how bad the BBC’s coverage is.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 27766

Flash,

Looks of a spitting image puppet?

Have you never seen Alice in the flesh (or rather in leather)?

As for Tom Lee, don’t you remember Tanya when she started, nervy. Give the bloke a chance.

Ginge

value is everything
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 141 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.