The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

BHA timekeeping

Home Forums Horse Racing BHA timekeeping

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

David and Corm , I think you are both right , racing needs terrestial coverage badly , on the other hand C4 has to be bailed out financially to give that coverage every few years , indeeed were it not for Sheik Mo , we might have lost the C4 sat afternoons ,,,,probably a disaster

But it could still happen as racing is very much a niche sport now with very small limited national appeal …and frankly unless that changes we are in for a seismic shift …it could well revert to what it once was, ie , a pastime for the very rich …on the other hand we would not have to suffer 0/55 in the aw gaffs

cheers

Ricky

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Does racing really need terrestrial coverage? A sport like darts is thriving because of the way it is marketed and that is covered only on satellite channels (obviously betting without the BDO which is on its arse). If your product is good enough, and you market it correctly, then it will still thrive. Live Premier League football hasn’t been shown on terrestrial television for almost 20 years.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Paul,

Just out of interest, where is the Racing Post analysis done if not on track?

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3762

Ostermeyer,

I no longer give a toss what you think, but in case anyone else is taken in by your bizarre claims of corruption, let me state here that there is absolutely no way that the jockey deliberately chose not to take part in the race.

And to add that the start has been reviewed by the relevant officials and they are satisfied.

I will not respond to any further posts by Ostermeyer, but if anyone else feels that further clarification is required, please feel free to send me a PM.

AP

• Total Posts 185

The kicking sounds like a nasty incident. I hope that the horse is well and has suffered no permanent damage.

R Hoiles
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10

Paul,

If that was aimed at me I have no problem acknowledging the fact that terrestrial TV does have a major impact on Saturdays.
    It did not however avoid an easy solution to the Boxing Day issue (move Huntingdon back 15 mins) or to the Lingfield debacle the other day when a clash was actually due to poor scheduling as the races actually kept to the correct time.

Recently there have been some improvements especially having the 5 minute gaps with four meetings – three NH and Flat, following the Flat one. Hopefully it is a sign that this waste of money is moving up the agenda.

Long may it continue and I for one make no apology for trying to keep this in the arena for debate so whoever is responsible for avoidable clashes can be taken to task.

We all learn from mistakes and the main lesson surely is not to keep on repeating them.

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

Does racing really need terrestrial coverage? A sport like darts is thriving because of the way it is marketed and that is covered only on satellite channels (obviously betting without the BDO which is on its [expletive]). If your product is good enough, and you market it correctly, then it will still thrive. Live Premier League football hasn’t been shown on terrestrial television for almost 20 years.

Yes it does David. I for one do not have sky or cable as I cannot justify the expense especially with so many sports the BBC have left us with.

Incidentally, talking of racing coverage. We are six weeks from Cheltenham and where is the Telegraph’s racing correspondent Hotspur giving us coverage from. Yep you are right Dubai. No mention of the trials. Happens every year and is annoying. Okay, I know that Dubai is important and he has not got the Beeb to fall back on, but come on people. Just a line about Denman going to the Aon and that was it today. Yuck. That’s me rant over, Anyone for Horseheath.

• Total Posts 980

Does racing really need terrestrial coverage? A sport like darts is thriving because of the way it is marketed and that is covered only on satellite channels (obviously betting without the BDO which is on its [expletive]). If your product is good enough, and you market it correctly, then it will still thrive. Live Premier League football hasn’t been shown on terrestrial television for almost 20 years.

Hmmm, ironic that you should make that point now given that ITV4 has been showing quite alot of darts lately. They must have a deal with the PDC.
    I actually think that darts is a bad example. I think the reason it’s been shown on Sky almost exclusively for so long is because it doesn’t have the kind of viewership that would create a lobby for it to be shown on ‘proper’ telly more often. Many people signed the petition regarding the BBC’s racing coverage. I doubt as many would have signed a petition if the Beeb decided not to show Lakeside anymore.

The Premier League is a good example of the way I think racing coverage should go. Die hard supporters can get Sky but the more casual watcher can make do with a weekly highlights programme. I think a weekly racing programme at a decent hour in the day is very sorely needed.

• Total Posts 980

I’m aware I haven’t actually made a point to this thread’s actual subject!

Seriously, how hard can it be to avoid clashes? I was in the bookies yesterday evening & if you believe the SiS commentary, a few dogs races were delayed until the racing at Kempton got under way.

Actually, rather than just make a non comstructive dismissive comment; can someone explain just why it’s so difficult to avoid clashes?

• Total Posts 980

Ostermeyer,

I no longer give a toss what you think, but in case anyone else is taken in by your bizarre claims of corruption, let me state here that there is absolutely no way that the jockey deliberately chose not to take part in the race.

And to add that the start has been reviewed by the relevant officials and they are satisfied.

I will not respond to any further posts by Ostermeyer, but if anyone else feels that further clarification is required, please feel free to send me a PM.

AP

For goodness sake AP. The race started: your horse didn’t. Whatever the circumstances behind it, there’s every justification to describe the participant as ‘refusing to race.’ Although as you say, saying he ‘disgraced himself’ is very much out of order.

An example: I got kicked playing football & broke two ribs. I called in sick to work. The first two facts combined do not change that I ‘refused to work’
    Whether I was capable of working is up for debate.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1658

You’ve been taking for granted the coverage you have. The ONLY non-cable TB racing we have is the Triple Crown and a very small part of the Breeders’ Cup. That’s 4 days, 6 or 7 races. Plus another 5 or 6 races on ESPN if we’re lucky and they aren’t preempted by poker or something. Anything else requires digital cable, and there’s no way to attract new players that way.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Paul,

Just out of interest, where is the Racing Post analysis done if not on track?

Either from home or the office watching on TV – they will occasionally phone the oncourse racereader for clarification on issues.

Apart from one occasion at Leicester last year, the obly other time I have see the Analysis guys on track is at the big festivals.

Incidentally since July last year almost all teh "comments in running" analysis from the PA has been done from home.

The only regular on-course presence is the RP "trackside live" and the RP / Raceform racereader.

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

There’s something very strange about horse racing in the UK.
    Despite being the second best spectator sport in the country and having two dedicated subscription channels it has to pay for terrestrial television coverage and receives no coverage at all on the BBC between December and April, they preferring to cover such thrillers as Bowls, Darts and Snooker.
    Are they any other sports that actually pay for coverage or is horse racing unique?

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Ostermeyer,

AP

Why don’t you stop behaving like a three-year-old throwing his toys out of the pram?

Nowhere in my post have I made any allegation of corruption – if you have the inability to comprehend the English language then you are the one with the problem. I suggest you sit down and slowly read, perhaps moving your lips at the same time, what you actually wrote.

You wrote Leighton Aspell admitted he was unsure of the rules and so he opted not to cross the start line once the horse had been left 20 lengths [/color:18gda1t7] now to me that is fairly unambiguous. So either you were not telling the truth in your initial post or Aspell deliberately did not start the race – you cannot have it both ways?

You however se fit to make snide remarks about officialls yet I see you still will not name names.

Let’s get this is perspctive – this was a 3m 1f chase not some sprint on the sand. Even if your horse had started 20 lengths, which I don’t believe it was, behind the field it would still have had time to catch the other runners – it has happened before.

Anyway enjoy your sulk – when I have published an aticle about this unsavoury incident I will let you know where you can find it. If you wish to revise what you have already publicy stated please feel free to PM me.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Paul, this is very unedifying , handbags at gulch creek , and to be honest pretty unsavoury to read

AP has been continues to be a great supporter of TRF , and I cannot for any reason see why you are hounding him over a paltry point scoring excercise

not very nice , I hope you are proud , you would expect this from small children ……besides do you see yourself as some unofficial spokesman for the BHA , BECAUSE plainly you seem to jump in wherever possible to defend them

I think an apology is in order

Ricky

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Totally agree with Ricky.
    This forum has lost too many good posters like AP to someone else’s small-minded ego trip, and PO should apologise, then the whole thread should be deleted.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3762

Very well, it seems necessary to provide the evidence. I apologise to Silvoir for being pushed into posting his message to me, but hopefully it will stem the continued attack from Ostermeyer.

"I’ve watched the race with Sean McDonald, who’s a starter and head of our Starters, Scales and Judges.

I would totally agree with you that Power Shared did not refuse to race per se. Whilst I missed the originally kick, he definitely backs away from the horse that kicked him – the horse appears like it’s going to have another kick so I don’t think you could blame Power Shared for taking pre-emptive evasive action.

It would appear from the video that as the horse is backing away the starter is calling them in and it seems to be one of those split second decisions and that the starter hadn’t realised what was happening in time to abort the start. I appreciate it must have been hugely frustrating and whilst Leighton should know what the rules are, given how much ground he’d lost he probably did the best thing from an owners perspective in not jumping off.

I take Paul’s point to a degree but anyone who’d backed the horse had done their money anyway – you can’t give away a 20/30 length start like that and still win.

To make it clear if I failed to do so before, Leighton Aspell had already decided that it was pointless to set off after the field as Power Shared continued to engage reverse gear and ended up behind the first hurdle in the straight. At that point, and not before, he was unsure whether there was any chance of the starter declaring him a non runner, so opted to return to the stands via the canter down on the inside of the course. He couldn’t ask the starter as he was already back in his car and heading for the stands.

Since Ostermeyer seems obsessed about the names of the individuals involved, which I didn’t give before as they would mean nothing to most TRF members, they were :

Starter : Peter Haynes

Assistant Starter : William Jardine

Stewards Secretary : Ashley Bealby

I would politely suggest that the racereaders for the Post consider reviving the old note ‘left, took no part’.

Ricky, Reet,

Thank you.

AP

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.