The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Betfair

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    FlatSeasonLoverFlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

I recently opened a new account on Betfair. I had a couple of deposits via debit card, and about 4 bets. I also played in the poker room. Anyway my account balance was £150. I was looking on the Transfer Funds page, as you do, and in the "product wallet to receive funds" it had UK license, so I typed in £150 and transferred it (the money was from poker so I assumed the money wasn’t in either wallet and was in some sort of suspensory state). It then transfers £150 into my Australian wallet. When I try to transfer it back it won’t let me. I have emailed betfair about this, explaining I do not want to and have not bet on Australian markets, that I have only used the one card and intend to withdraw back to the same card and that it was transferred in error. I got the following email:

"(Hi)

Thank you for your e-mail.

We are unable to withdraw funds out of your Australian wallet until you have passed a KYC check. To do this we need you to comply with the policy outlined below.

It is Betfairs policy to properly identify customers as an integrity and security measure. Our checks are completed on a similar basis to that used by any UK bank or other secure financial institution. All<br>information is kept and stored securely in line with our privacy policy and the UK Data Protection Act 1998. If you wish to remind yourself of Betfairs privacy policy you can look under "About us" on the Betfair web site.

In order to assist us with this security procedure we ask that you send us a photocopy or scan of one document from each of the categories listed below:

1) Personal Identification – One Photo ID from the following List    <br>              <br> -Passport, <br>-Driving License, <br>-National Identification Card (photographic), <br>-Citizenship Certificate <br> <br>2) Address Verification – One of the following<br>-Utility Bill (Less than 3 months old) <br>-Tax Bill <br>-Copy of Bank Statement – must have Betfair transaction or card<br>number visible on it (Less than 3 months old).<br> <br>3) Source of Payment Verification – one of the following.<br>-Betfair account registered Credit or Debit Card (Front only) <br>-Copy of Credit or Debit Card account statement of a Betfair<br>registered card (Less than 3 months old).<br>-Copy of bank statement – must have Betfair transaction or card<br>number visible on it (Less than 3 months old).<br> <br>PLEASE NOTE:<br>-The documents must be clear and legible and have all your usernames<br>or telephone account ID on all documents. If this is not the case processing time may be longer and may result in temporary account<br>suspension.<br>-Use the highest resolution available on your fax machine (recommended resolution supported by most machines: ‘Photo’).<br>-Please send scans in JPEG or GIF file formats only with a maximum size of 10MB per page.<br>-For your personal security and the integrity of your bank cards please blank out all digits except for the last four of the account and card numbers. Leaving the start and expiry date visible. <br>-Please send documents that state your residential address.<br>Regrettably documents addressed to a P.O Box number are unacceptable for validation.

We will email you confirmation when we validate the documents. This may take up to 48 hours after receipt.  The details can be sent by any of the following methods:

Fax (Inside UK):  0208 834 8011<br>Fax (Outside UK): +44 208 834 8011<br>Free Fax (Australia): 1-800 068 593<br>Documents Email: <!– e –>kyc@betfair.com<!– e –>

Post:<br>Betfair Verification<br>Waterfront, Hammersmith Embankment<br>Chancellors Road  <br>London, W6 9HP  <br>United Kingdom

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. As a security precaution we recommend that you use the contact details found on our website for any contact with Betfair. Please do not reply to this email with questions.

Kind regards

Alex Grayner

Verification Team"

Well. They want me to do 1) 2) and 3) before I can get my own money back, well aside from the fact I am university and haven’t brought any identity documents with me, I object to spending what would be hours messing about for a license I don’t even want. Basically they just want my details on file.

Okay so step 2, as i can’t be bothered to do all of that is to close my account down and have my money rweturned back to my card. But basically I get a flat out NO and told I can close my account once I’ve done 1) 2) and 3):

"(Hi),

Thank you for your e-mail.

I am more than happy to process the request for you, but in order to do so, it is required of us to ask you to provide the KYC documents stated in the previous email. Once we have received these documents we will then be able to withdraw the funds for you.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further enquiries.

Kind regards

Adrian Kelly

Betfair helpdesk<br>Helpdesk Tel: 0870 0110 444<br>Helpdesk Fax: 0870 0110 555<br>Australia 1-800 759 354<br>Free Fax (Australia)  1800 068 593"

Now my question is are they within their rights to basically hold my funds indefinitely? Can they refuse to give me my money back and let me close my account? It seems unacceptable to me.

<br>

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

It seems unfair that you are going to get punished for this unfortunate mistake.<br>I have been with them since June 2004 and I have recently bet on the australian golf and NZ golf using the aus/wallet and I was able to transfer my money back to the uk wallet ok as they said that I had gone through the security etc check when I joined.<br>I’d have thought that the important point here is that you have not made any australian bets yet – I just wonder if they fully realise this? I don’t understand why they cannot be more flexible. I’ve had little problem with BF but some of their staff don’t fully understand what they are doing….especially with the aus/uk wallet situation. I can only suggest that you phone them up and try to talk to a supervisor and explain your situation fully. Good luck.

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Like SwallowCottage I checked before the Melbourne Cup and had already been through the checks, it’s definitely an offput as far as I’m concerned as I haven’t had a bet on any Australian market since it was introduced. I feel it may be easier and you will end up with far less hassle if you comply FSL.

• Total Posts 2065

Quote: from yeats on 11:42 am on Dec. 3, 2006[br]Like SwallowCottage I checked before the Melbourne Cup and had already been through the checks, it’s definitely an offput as far as I’m concerned as I haven’t had a bet on any Australian market since it was introduced. I feel it may be easier and you will end up with far less hassle if you comply FSL.

And if i want to bet on Betfair while I am still at University? I object in principle to depositing more money into my account.

PurwellPurwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 654

I’ve managed to win a little on both Test matches so far, and have just been on Betfair to see if they would transfer some of the winnings back to the English wallet. No problem, straight away with no security questions whatsoever. <br>I have never submitted any of those items that you have been asked for and indeed some of them I wouldn’t! I’m not sure how long I’ve been with Betfair, it’s probably a couple of years though.<br>If they can take money off your card they can put it back on there. <br>Threaten to write to Channel 4 and get McCrirrick to rubbish them on TV! It worked for a couple of friends of mine. They had bet on the racing in Dubai, which Ladbrokes were officially not betting on, but the cashier accepted the bets. The racing was actually on TV, it was Godolphin trials. They were paid out after Mac took the complaint up. No publicity is bad publicity. Soon after that the rules were changed and these Industry Prices were introduced.

frankmorby
    • Total Posts 23

Wow what a c–kup that sounds! i hope you get it sorted FSL. When i use my bank transfer coz i live in Germany to withdraw funds it costs me 5 euros pro withdrawal from Betfair and it takes ages before its on my account.

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

On the subject of Betfair, Zorro in today’s Post deals with their baffling failure to run markets on the big races currently taking place in Japan and Hong Kong. As he says, it’s to the detriment of the punter. Betfair seem to me to be coming across increasingly as Establishment figures rather than Young Turks.

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

I had a similar problem with Betdaq.  I was told by my local MP that he agreed with me that providing sensitive documents like a passport, electronically, was a breach of my privacy.  He also stated that it was in line with the Gov’s money laundering initiative and there was sweet FA I could do about it.<br>It amounts to financial blackmail with your own money.  It’s also part of the reason I withdrew my money from Betdaq and never used them again.<br>It’s not often that you can get an MP to speak the truth, but I, somehow, managed it LOL<br>I kept the email as I considered it such a major achievement ;)<br>If you want your money, you have no choice but to provide the documents :(

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I would never send them that sort of information .. there is no way they can prove that it is securely held, or that the people handling your details are trustworthy.

They have never asked me for it and if they did I would close my account and bet elsewhwere.

RD now that you have closed your account with Betdaq, they are duty bound, by the Information Act to prove that they have destroyed these records and no longer retain your details. So your business with them is not finished.

• Total Posts 2065

So what should my plan of action be then?

1) Can they legally hold on to my money?<br>2) Is it not a breach of my human rights to have to give such sensitive information?<br>3) How is the WBX doing?:biggrin:

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

You are right dave.  The account isn’t closed, just inactive.<br>I kept it just in case I ever need it again.  If and when I do close it, I will make sure to request the information be destroyed.

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

Quote: from FlatSeasonLover on 1:32 pm on Dec. 3, 2006[br]So what should my plan of action be then?

1) Can they legally hold on to my money?<br>2) Is it not a breach of my human rights to have to give such sensitive information?<br>3) How is the WBX doing?:biggrin: <br>

1) In effect, yes.<br>2) Yes, but the govt allows it to happen.<br>3) Dunno, but it ain’t looking rosy yet

:D

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I would try and transfer it again without giving over any sensitive details.

Keep e-mailing them that you need your money returned.

Tell them to close your account and send you a cheque because you don’t have the means to provide the information.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

What happens if I refuse to give this information when it is requested?

Regrettably we would be forced to suspend your account temporarily until we receive the documents. If you have no intention of sending the documents we will be forced to close your account and refund any current balance to you.

<br>From BF forum .. I would opt for this one and re-open my account under a different ID.

• Total Posts 2065

Quote: from dave jay on 1:51 pm on Dec. 3, 2006[br]

What happens if I refuse to give this information when it is requested?

Regrettably we would be forced to suspend your account temporarily until we receive the documents. If you have no intention of sending the documents we will be forced to close your account and refund any current balance to you.

<br>From BF forum .. I would opt for this one and re-open my account under a different ID.

Whereabouts is this in the forum Dave?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.