The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Betfair Void Bets

Home Forums Horse Racing Betfair Void Bets

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2926

This is a hack. Big PR problem for Betfair, but ludicrous to expect payment on a past-the-post horse at 29/1.

Mike

How was it past the post with 6 hurdles left to jump?

Betfair have explained what it was and it wasn’t a hack, or do you consider they are telling lies? They had the ability to suspend betting on the race anytime during it, do you think all bets would have been voided if it had lost?

Zamorston
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1113

How was it ever ‘genuinely’ a 28/1 shot with 6 hurdles left to jump?

do you think all bets would have been voided if it had lost?

Given the facts and and figures involved I think it’s 1.01 they would have had to, without question!

rich_ie
    • Total Posts 87

Everyone who backed it on Betdaq was paid out within minutes of them crossing the line. The biggest I’ve seen anyone mention being matched at was 14. She was 11+ all the way down the back straight, while Mourad was 1.02. I thought it looked too good to be true and left it thinking there was huge delay on RTE, I don’t use betfair so didn’t know what was going on there. I’m kicking myself about that now. After jumping the last it was still available at 3 and in-play so I helped myself to some of that, not huge winnings but I’m more than happy.

Betdaq has nothing like the liquidity of Betfair but obviously some people arbing between the exchanges will have been pretty badly stung now that their Betfair bets have been voided.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2926

How was it ever ‘genuinely’ a 28/1 shot with 6 hurdles left to jump?

do you think all bets would have been voided if it had lost?

Given the facts and and figures involved I think it’s 1.01 they would have had to, without question!

Maybe he meant to put 2.9, it does happen, should all bets be void if that happens?

How many pundits on tv say "How did that winner ever get to price"
    Many horses get to prices well above what you consider reflective of their chance, how many get beat at 1.01? That’s the whole idea of an exchange.

I’ve no reason to believe bets would have been voided if it had lost.

Maybe we should have more evidence from Betfair, like who the punter is, after all Betfair have saved them a considerable amount of money, as they don’t have to even pay out up to their limit.

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1511

Maybe we should have more evidence from Betfair, like who the punter is, after all Betfair have saved them a considerable amount of money, as they don’t have to even pay out up to their limit.

Embarrassing would be an understatement but i dont believe there was anything intentionally sinister going on today,it does show how many of us are looking for the Golden Goose though and exposes just how much ‘profit’ Betfair make when you think about it.

Voler la Vedette

could be named the winner from a long way out in what was always going to be a 2 horse race,being someone who uses the exchanges daily i would have expected to see a high of 2.9 max which would possibly go to explaining some of the problem,yesterdays Welsh National was a fine example of a 2 horse race from a long way out also and even when Giles Cross went 1/4 in running,Le Beau Bai only traded at 3’s so i believe a genuine mistake has been made,whoever allowed that to happen will be looking for a job mind! :roll:

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Unless Betfair come clean and say who the "layer" was there will be immense speculation as to the integrity of their markets. If it exposes them to the public for being short order oddsmakers then surely the public are entitled to know what sharp practices they are employing.

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1511

Unless Betfair come clean and say who the "layer" was there will be immense speculation as to the integrity of their markets.

Eclipse,you are suggesting there’s something more to this than meets the eye,as is Yeats. If Betfair were trying to pull a massive stroke they wouldn’t have picked this race to do it and had the Betfair layers even watched

Voler la Vedettes

and

Mourads

last clash at Fairyhouse they certainly wouldn’t have been laying the mare at 29’s today,she did exactly the same thing then as she did today and ran away from the Gelding.Now had this ‘layer’ offered 29’s about Mourad in running then everybody would have been saying ‘that mad B*stard knows their horses’.Mourad does have a bad habit of finishing 2nd! The more you look at it the more obvious it is that someones made a Boo boo and i wouldn’t want to be them!

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

I’m not suggesting that there is anything sinister, but I do think that the "fair" part of their name is perhaps in contravention of advertising standards! Someone had too much sauce last night and the company are not prepared to take it on the chin.
    When you bet in-running things can change in an instant, if they are not competent then do they deserve to hold a gaming licence?

cliffo38
    Participant
    • Total Posts 37

if it lost they would not say anything they accepted the bets and they were placed in good faith by punters if you place a bet and it wins you EXPECT to get paid !!!

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

was probably just another fixed irish race, that just went horribly wrong :)

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5843

"Customers betting in-play on this race will have seen that Voler La Vedette was available to back at 29 when the in-running market was suspended, and that a considerable sum was matched on the clear winner at that price.

An investigation has revealed that this was due to an obvious technical fault which allowed a customer to exceed their exposure limit.

In accordance with our terms and conditions, all in running bets on this race, both win and place, will be made void.

We fully appreciate the dissatisfaction this will cause many customers, and apologise for a very poor customer and betting experience." – Betfair response

Regards
    :cool:

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Indeed Matron, I had read that as well. However was the "technical" error due to a technological failure that would undermine customer confidence in their systems or was it actually a "human" error by one of their own traders therefore undermining customer confidence in their integrity. All it does show is that they are no better or no worse than any other bookmaker, for that is all they are when you strip the facts down to the bare bones.

Dallimann
    • Total Posts 138

Some odd things have happened lately. A friend of mine got his account hacked, 800 euros gone in ONE night match (live betting) on another continent. They stood their ground and said it was normal betting even tho the opposite could be said looking at his record. And it took 4 weeks and many many frustrating calls for my last payout.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2926

Unless Betfair come clean and say who the "layer" was there will be immense speculation as to the integrity of their markets.

Eclipse,you are suggesting there’s something more to this than meets the eye,as is Yeats. If Betfair were trying to pull a massive stroke they wouldn’t have picked this race to do it and had the Betfair layers even watched

Voler la Vedettes

and

Mourads

last clash at Fairyhouse they certainly wouldn’t have been laying the mare at 29’s today,she did exactly the same thing then as she did today and ran away from the Gelding.Now had this ‘layer’ offered 29’s about Mourad in running then everybody would have been saying ‘that mad B*stard knows their horses’.Mourad does have a bad habit of finishing 2nd! The more you look at it the more obvious it is that someones made a Boo boo and i wouldn’t want to be them!

Surprisingly Kingfisher you’re being extremely naive regards this. Past form of the horses has nothing to do with it.
    Punters make mistakes all the time on Betfair but always have to pay the piper.
    Favourites laid at 1000 soon as the boxes opened to the tune of over 200 grand, he had to pay up and there are many more plus many beaten at 1.01, I’m sure there are many mistakes amongst them such as having the decimal point in the wrong place, I don’t recall any of them getting a refund.

How many punters have you ever heard of who managed to get a bet through on Betfair that exceeded their limit? I’ve not heard of anyone prior to yesterday, what a co-incidence.

Some people believe Betfair lay horses themselves with no limit attached, lets see the evidence what occurred is as they say. After all it is a small price to pay for the punter who attempted the lay and was saved a considerable amount of money by Betfair’s decision to void. If the horse had lost he would have been over £800,000 better off less commission.
    Not a bad bet if you can get it, win £800,000 if the horse loses but a full refund if it wins.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

It was clearly a monstrous error so why do people expect to get paid?

I didn’t expect to get paid at 11-1 by an on course bookie at Lingfield because he hit the wrong button when it should have been 11-2, so why are people expecting to profit from a mistake when the T+Cs probably cover all eventualities?

I’ve had bets voided in the past, both winning and losing ones and not known why, it happens, what I’ve never seen before is such a wrong price being up for so long due to amounts being available that have never been available in the history of betfair.

If people were trading and relied on IR bets then they may have lost out but that’s the risk they know they take, as we all do when we bet on what is generally a random event that is so open to and muddied with dodgy practices anyway.

That’s gambling, get over it or get off.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.