The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Betfair Hurdle 2012

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Betfair Hurdle 2012

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Its about time the top weights were allotted over 12st to carry in these supposedly competitive handicaps to stop Mr Nicholls from using his top weights to prevent his rivals running off their correct mark.
    The highest winning mark I could find for a recent winner of the race is 144, so Zarkandar would have plenty to do on a mark of 151 especially on seasonal debut. Though I think running him in that would give connexions a more realistic idea of his Champion Hurdle chances than running in one of the small runner conditions races. While the 8/1 might look tempting, if he goes there not fully tuned up, he will be meeting horses trained specifically for that race.

Rooster Booster was beaten a short head off 166 in 2004.

Celestial halo is unbeaten in handicaps and won the 2009 Elite hurdle off his current mark. He deserves his place in the lineup.

I’m not saying they dont deserve their place in the line-up, in fact the true measure of greatness for National Hunt horses is by their ability to concede huge amounts of weight rather than in weight for age races. My contention is that Celestial Halo should carry 12st 4lb and then more horses would be running off their true mark. I certainly think he would be good enough to go very close.

Participant
    • Total Posts 340

Does anyone think A Media Luz has any chance of making the cut for this race? Obviously out of the weights by a long way at the moment, but if Brampour is a yardstick to the top few in the weights, she is now getting up to two stone from a horse she would have beaten comfortably but for falling at the last hurdle last year. Not beaten too far off levels by the same horse at Ascot so a major weight swing due to Brampour’s climb up the ratings. I have always thought there is a huge race in this horse if she could settle properly and got a decent pace I think she’s a decent price if likely to run.
    Cheers

Participant
    • Total Posts 2925

Zarkandar has to win this to justify his place in CH market, doesn’t he?

He might come on a stone for the run, and a rating of 153 / 154 may not be good enough.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2925

At the moment i like Empire Levant, Sire De Grugy and Raya Star

Darlan off 137 would have been tasty but off 146 after that last win ? A tad too high and could have been campaigned better.

Henderson ploughing these winners in but isn’t targeting the better prize money. £5,000-£10,000 conditions or novice races when there are bigger handicaps about

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Its about time the top weights were allotted over 12st to carry in these supposedly competitive handicaps to stop Mr Nicholls from using his top weights to prevent his rivals running off their correct mark.
    The highest winning mark I could find for a recent winner of the race is 144, so Zarkandar would have plenty to do on a mark of 151 especially on seasonal debut. Though I think running him in that would give connexions a more realistic idea of his Champion Hurdle chances than running in one of the small runner conditions races. While the 8/1 might look tempting, if he goes there not fully tuned up, he will be meeting horses trained specifically for that race.

Rooster Booster was beaten a short head off 166 in 2004.

Celestial halo is unbeaten in handicaps and won the 2009 Elite hurdle off his current mark. He deserves his place in the lineup.

I’m not saying they dont deserve their place in the line-up, in fact the true measure of greatness for National Hunt horses is by their ability to concede huge amounts of weight rather than in weight for age races. My contention is that Celestial Halo should carry 12st 4lb and then more horses would be running off their true mark. I certainly think he would be good enough to go very close.

The horse welfare people will string you up for such an outlandish suggestion…… But CH is not Arkle so they can hardly re-frame the race just because he’s off 165. I take your point though.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Well if they wont allow the top horses to carry in excess of 12st they should extend the handicap the other end down to 9st 7lb. Arkle, Flyingbolt and Desert Orchid did not get their exalted ratings from their performances in conditions events.

• Total Posts 1533

God forbid we go back to the days when horses humped 12st10lbs and gave away 3 stone to monkees so they could earn a dollar. Only thing that achieves is to shorten a good horses lifespan at the top.

Arkle who did just that was the Bruce Lee of horses just solid muscle form head to to a with the agility of a gazelle. He was built to carry weights as was Mill House but breeding has changed so much these days.

As far as Zarkava goes you’d have to think he’s thrown in but there is a couple nagging doubts about him.

Aintree wasn’t a top class performance in fact Grandouet (brought down) would most likely have beat him.

Could that be be down to the fact he was feeling Cheltenham?

If so would PN want to be giving him a hard race before Cheltenham?

Did Punjabi no harm but he could run every 2nd day and be ok.

If he wasn’t feeling the affects of Cheltenham at Aintree I would really worry about just how good he is.

If he turns up,you don’t back him and he hacks up you’ll feel silly form not going with the obvious.

If you do back him and he gets stuffed you’ll kick yourself for having ignored the fact his Aitree form isn’t good enough to win this.

Best thing is PN takes him out so we can have a bet on something else :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

At the moment i like Empire Levant, Sire De Grugy and Raya Star

Darlan off 137 would have been tasty but off 146 after that last win ? A tad too high and could have been campaigned better.

Completely agree. Empire Lavant has a tasty mark, and Nicholls in his write up In the Post said he was going, so cannot fathom the 20/1 about him. Raya Star looks well handicapped, only up 5lb for his win in the Ladbroke, but the form bar Ciceron who landed the Pricewise gamble, and Act of Kalanisi running a good third in the Lanzarote.

• Total Posts 1533

I notice the runner up to Darlan ran a stinker and couldn’t even keep in touch despite all Ruby’s urgings. Despite that a few bookies have cut his price but what’s more noticable is Soldatino has be backed from 20/1 to 12/1 and on the machine there’s been more money traded on him than any other horse in the race.

Take the hint

Participant
    • Total Posts 2925

I notice the runner up to Darlan ran a stinker and couldn’t even keep in touch despite all Ruby’s urgings. Despite that a few bookies have cut his price but what’s more noticable is Soldatino has be backed from 20/1 to 12/1 and on the machine there’s been more money traded on him than any other horse in the race.

Take the hint

Soldatino’s price is due to Pricewise.

Everytime i look at the market for these races over the last few years, it makes me " laugh ".

Scandalous from the bookies and nobody does anything about it.

• Total Posts 343

Third intention who jumps the hurdles so well and ran a blinder penultimate start before nearly giving a potential triumph winner a stone and a half. He has to go close.

I make it him or empire levant at the weights.

I will be tucking into the 25s and 20s available up until the day.

I hope to pay for the festival with these two.

• Total Posts 1533

Take the hint

Soldatino’s price is due to Pricewise.

Everytime i look at the market for these races over the last few years, it makes me " laugh ".

Scandalous from the bookies and nobody does anything about it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I was in well before he came on the scene as were lots of others. He jumped on the bandwagon.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7621

BOBBY EWING To win is my tip here he beat Menorah very easy i know that has improved but this horse now in the hands of Pipe can get a horse off a long break. and i think he win.Have a bet on Zarkandar as well.

• Total Posts 1533

That was an awesome performance that day. He a bit of a negative in the market’ his current price isn’t due to anyone betting him just the bookies being cautious.

• Total Posts 1533

Don’t like the vibes I am getting so greened up on Soldatino today and got my stake back. Decent profit win lose or draw.

Participant
    • Total Posts 340

What vibes you getting on Soldatino then?

GDC
    • Total Posts 939

Jamie: Think you have possibly mis read that post.

I am guessing he meant he is not happy re the vibes about Darlan so he has greened up (backed) Soldatino.

Well that’s my take on the matter mate :D

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 116 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.