The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Best Godolphin horse

Home Forums Horse Racing Best Godolphin horse

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    aidanldrebin
    • Total Posts 171

Who do you think has been the best Godolphin horse of all time?

psychosis
    • Total Posts 35

Dubai Millenium – most impressive horse I’ve ever seen in live.  Honourable mentions to Sakhee and Lammtarra

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Thirded

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

I’m not having this. Dubai Millennium was a very good horse but he was no world beater not on turf anyway I don’t pay any attention to dirt so have no view on that.

What did Dubai Millennium ever beat on turf? Horses rated around 119 / 120 except Sendawar who clearly didn’t run his race (maybe didn’t stay) at Ascot.

The Dettori factor and the fact that the media were up Godolphins rear passage at the time explain why DM’s reputation was far higher than his performance. On turf he never beat a top class horse that gave his running. Horses like Almushtarak were hardly sensational. Godolphin loved DM. They changed his name for him, millennium year and all that but none of that disguises his lack of top class victims.

However if the media drum something into people, they happily swallow the hype.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

(Edited by Flash at 5:12 pm on June 12, 2007)

aidanldrebin
    • Total Posts 171

Dubai Millenium was a great horse. He won nearly every race on the bridle. OK his opposition at times was weak but I think the French thought Sendawar was going to win the POW that day and he murdered him.

I must just say though that Sakhee would have been Godolphins best horse of all time if they had called it a day after his superb battle with Tiznow. But they kept him on at 5 and he didn’t do much but, I will never forget his two demolition jobs in the Juddmonte International and the Arc. A great horse.

Money on
    • Total Posts 178

Why no Sulamani in the lineup? I don’t think he was near there best horse but he did win 6 group ones.

psychosis
    • Total Posts 35

Flash – the question isn’t which was Godolphin’s best turf horse – therefore DM’s World Cup win, where he broke the world record for the distance, has to be a major factor.

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

I know their all of the same blood [Dubai Royal Family].<br>But Lammtarra ran in Saeed’s colours so he doesn’t qualify, and Sakhee for the most part ran in Hamdan’s colours, so he is a dubious selection.<br>

psychosis
    • Total Posts 35

Also wondering if Kayf Tara should be on the list

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

aidanldrebin – Did Sendawar run his race that day?

He clearly didn’t not by a long way so what connections predicted are irrelevant. Connections predicted that Shergar would win the Leger as well ………….. and Nikinsky would win the Arc ………….. and Sir Percy would win the Champion Stakes ……………… and Forest Tiger would never be beaten and ……………. shall I go on??<br>

aidanldrebin
    • Total Posts 171

Perhaps I should have left Lammtarra out, but somebody would have asked why he wasn’t there. Also why no Sulamani? Well because would you have called him better than any of the six I put up? He also wasn’t as consistant as the six in the big races. Sakhee’s best performances came in the Godolphin colours hence why I put him up.

(Edited by aidanldrebin at 7:13 pm on June 12, 2007)

SirHarryLewisSirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1194

Quote: from Flash on 5:07 pm on June 12, 2007[br]I’m not having this. Dubai Millennium was a very good horse but he was no world beater not on turf anyway I don’t pay any attention to dirt so have no view on that.

What did Dubai Millennium ever beat on turf? Horses rated around 119 / 120 except Sendawar who clearly didn’t run his race (maybe didn’t stay) at Ascot.

The Dettori factor and the fact that the media were up Godolphins rear passage at the time explain why DM’s reputation was far higher than his performance. On turf he never beat a top class horse that gave his running. Horses like Almushtarak were hardly sensational. Godolphin loved DM. They changed his name for him, millennium year and all that but none of that disguises his lack of top class victims.

However if the media drum something into people, they happily swallow the hype. <br>

Well he looked like a great dirt horse so lets not ignore that.

Also, he beat the likes of slickly and dansili very easily in the prix Jacques Marois.  I dont think the opposition was great in all his races but I think that had a lot to with other avoiding him ….and with good reason.

SHL

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

Dubai Millennium by miles, chased home by Daylami – a Group/Grade 1 winner at 8, 10, 11 and 12f :)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 36

Dubai Millenium always in front when he raced.No excuses for the others.<br>  He was very impressive in Jacques le Marois.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.