The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Benrajah

Home Forums Memorials Benrajah

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5124

Collapsed and died at Market Rasen today on his first start for Keith Reveley having long been a stable stalwart for Martin Todhunter.

An enthusiastic front-running chaser who won six times.

See ya old lad

Happy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 515

I’ll second that. Dickie Barrett deserves credit for realizing in a flash that something was wrong and swiftly pulling up but there was ultimately nothing he could do.

The incident certainly cast a long and lingering shadow over what was an otherwise enjoyable first visit to Market Rasen.

pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 586

Sorry to hear the passing of a good old servant – it seems the end came quickly which is probably good. First noticed him a few seasons back when running for the Behrajan Partnership ( hence the anagram of Behrajan i suppose), think he was with Henry Daly then.

number15
    • Total Posts 10

I was also at Market Rasen on Sunday, there was another 2 fatalities as well, Kety Star fell in the same race as few seconds before, and in the race before Drive On fell (RP analysis stated he died).

I wasn’t aware of either of these until I watched the review on RUK later on as both fell in the back straight. Neither fall had looked that bad.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

I’ll second that. Dickie Barrett deserves credit for realizing in a flash that something was wrong and swiftly pulling up but there was ultimately nothing he could do.

The incident certainly cast a long and lingering shadow over what was an otherwise enjoyable first visit to Market Rasen.

Agreed. Benrajah had given an immaculate display of jumping up to and including four out, but the speed with which he dropped out immediately after that suggested trouble. He had been reinvigorated by a winter of pointing and hunter chasing with Phil Kirby and had looked as much in love with life as ever on this first start back in handicap company up to that point.

A gentleman to the last, he gave Dickie Barrett enough time to climb off before finally crumpling to the ground. RIP old boy.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

I was also at Market Rasen on Sunday, there was another 2 fatalities as well, Kety Star fell in the same race as few seconds before, and in the race before Drive On fell (RP analysis stated he died).

I wasn’t aware of either of these until I watched the review on RUK later on as both fell in the back straight. Neither fall had looked that bad.

I must counter that I didn’t like the look of Kety Star’s fall at all when I saw it from the stands. Judging by the way Venetia Williams immediately tore across the infield towards the fifth last, neither did she, and her look of dejection back in the paddock ten minutes later confirmed the worst.

I was worried that Drive On had struck into The Fourth Ace as he fell, as that rival stopped instantly after the fence, but Johnny Farrelly was simply exercising caution on the latter.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 586

Commiserations to all connections ( goes without saying)

Brings home how tough the game is when considering the winners of the only two chases at Newton Abbot on the 7th June were Armariver and Kety Star.

I believe it was Drive On`s first run for new connections so condolences there.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

My sympathies to connections of all three. Benrajah was a great old horse, the type that make NH racing romantic even at the lower levels.

I must counter that I didn’t like the look of Kety Star’s fall at all when I saw it from the stands.

I have to say that I feared the worst as well when I saw the fall, did not look pleasant. A particular shame because he was on a great run of form that had got him back close to a career-high mark.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.