The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

SPOTY

Home Forums Lounge SPOTY

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    lollys mate
    • Total Posts 625

I thought Audrey Harrison was in with a shout after his handbags, on Saturday night.

Just goes to show how much our home grown sport has gone down the pan, since we won the world cup in 2003.

I thought Tiger Tim would have taken it!

Participant
    • Total Posts 432

Have no problem with Freddie winning.

But, did have a problem with Daley Thompson. A proper champ in his day, but WTF was all that about….

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Quote: from Peaty Sandy on 1:44 pm on Dec. 12, 2005[br]But the general public voted Ellen McCarthur into second place?

No ******* danger !!!  <br>

<br>She had my vote. Even as a hardened cricket fan I would concede that Freddie just provided the catalyst for the rest of the England team to register a series win against generally superior foes for the first time in around twenty years. He was never in any immediate danger of being killed or left for dead, of being cut off from the rest of civilisation if the worst came to worst, or of going days on end without sleep. In short, there was nothing about the Ashes victory which came close to the same physical or mental examination Dame Ellen undertook, for all it was a fine effort by the big lad.

I don’t believe there are such things as, ahem, "nobend sports", merely ones with more peripheral appeal to most people than the great god football. Tsk.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

InglisDrever
    • Total Posts 5

Quote: from Perpetual on 6:11 pm on Dec. 13, 2005[br]<br>But, did have a problem with Daley Thompson. A proper champ in his day, but WTF was all that about….<br>

He was dressed like a tramp.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Would you vote for an act on X-Factor if you had never heard of any of the contestants, had no interest in them whatsoever and hated the programme?

No, I don’t think you would.

I would hazard a guess that the ‘thick as s**t
    e general public’ wouldn’t have been the ones voting for Sports Personality.

It might be difficult for you to comprehend, but there might just be a good number of people who can appreciate the accomplishments of Ellen McArthur, have an interest in some/all of the sports involved and are capable of making an informed decision about who to vote for.

• Total Posts 433

With KS brilliant achievement this week + St. ruby’s contribution it will be interesting to see if the BBC give them the acknowledgment they so deserve.
    Since 1954 no jockey has won, and the only memory i have of the programme featuring more than a passing mention of racing was when red rum was in the studio.
    Would love to see one of the following at least
    sports personality kauto star
    overseas personality ruby
    team of the year ditcheat

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

No chance Chloed. Horse Racing is a "fringe" sport. Take comfort from this BBC competition being an over-hyped meaningless piece of garbage, akin to that Celebrity Come Dancing programme. Apart from their being betting on the outcome, this show is about as important as which team wins on "A Question of Sport".

• Total Posts 4293

Yes, I agree it is an irrelevant programme, now that the BBC is no longer the pre-eminent provider of sport in this country, and is no longer dominant as a broadcaster.

Tales that emerged a few years ago that votes for Desert Orchid and that angler chappie were discounted have also discredited it.

I wonder where Dessie came? It was mentioned that he had the most votes, but I find that hard to believe, given racing is a minority interest.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

Ashes aside, this is a quiet year for the sort of sports that win the trophy so AP might just conceivably run into a place. No chance of him winning it, though.

Mind, I gave up on the ‘personality’ side of the competition many years ago when a) the staggeringly interesting Nigel Mansell won, followed later by the b) intellectually and socially challenged Paul Gascoigne.

Mike

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Isn’t the amount of votes an athlete receives on Sports Personality of The Year directly proportional to the amount of airtime they get on the evening of the ceremony? Going on some of the recent winners, I’d contest the mention of both "Personality" (Michael Owen?!) and "Year" in the awards’ title.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Does anyone really think the BBC, that pre-eminent supporter of racing, would allow a jockey to be in the final ten of Sports Personality?

Participant
    • Total Posts 590

Obviously not. Having looked in my Crystal Ball (which may be a bit tempremental) the winners will (probably) be Lewis Hamilton (Beebs gotta justify the £40odd million rights bill) NOTE:- Unless Andy Murray wins Wimbledon

incidentally, isn’t Ruby Walsh one of the favs for the Irish equivalent?

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Aside from F1 and Wimbledon this year is the best chance we have of a jockey being SPOTY as their is no major football,cricket or rugby events being held.

• Total Posts 2184

incidentally, isn’t Ruby Walsh one of the favs for the Irish equivalent?

Barry won it in 2003 after he’d ridden five winners at Cheltenham and the National on Montys Pass so you’d have to presume that Ruby will be in with a great chance of winning it this year. Hard to see any other contenders unless one of the rugby lads captain the Lions to a test series victory or that bore Harrington wins a few more majors.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

Aside from F1 and Wimbledon this year is the best chance we have of a jockey being SPOTY as their is no major football,cricket or rugby events being held.

Is the cricket Ashes series not a major sporting event?

Perhaps Pieterson, if he does well might get the overseas vote.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Is it Ashes time again?

Actually yes ive just been on the BBC site.

Cant see us winning it this time so it gives racing half a chance.

wordfromthewise
    Participant
    • Total Posts 478

Not sure why racing fans continue to have any expectations about Sports Personality of the year.Racing is a minority sport in that the number of people who are actually interested in it aside from having a bet is relatively miniscule compared to football or cricket etc.
    In the old days when the BBC did horseracing properly the look back at the years racing highlights was worth suffering the programme for and Lester Piggott was given a special award during SPOY at the end of his career and the same will probably deservedly happen to Tony McCoy but the reality we have to accept is if you stopped 20 people in the street and asked them who he was they wouldn’t know and the beeb’s coverage of racing is now more of a reflection of that fact.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.