The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

BBC & F1

Home Forums Lounge BBC & F1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    chloed
    • Total Posts 433

why are’nt we the license payer allowed to know what we payed for F1.
    I know what the bbc pay for horse racing, sod all.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

my partners just read the Independent, and he says the cost is 40,000,000 just for screening rights, 10,000,000 more than ITV were paying, and that the main sponsors have pulled out for obvious reasons. I do like watching Formula 1, but did lose interest during the Schumaker years. We did complain to the BBC when Luke Harvey was dropped from Radio 5 Live, but they just said the letter would be passed to another department and we havn’t heard any more. It’s really important for sport to be on terrestrial TV; I was saying on another thread about the days when the Irish National was shown on the BBC; they are the only ones that can show races like that during an afternoons coverage of sport [ie bowls, darts, golf etc].

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

it is £200 million :-

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ … 593917.ece

what more concerns me is the rumour that the person fronting this package which is expected by F1 to be breaking new ground, might not be getting considered for the job had he not crashed a jet car whilst filming a 5 minute gimmick slot for a lads mag type motoring show

i’m not saying he isn’t a good presenter or that he doesn’t know about F1 but …

come on then who do you want ?

Brundle has to be in on the deal for me and i remember watching a few races where Alan Jones was part of the team – now they were interesting

we could get the obligatory fluffy totty and suit to do the intro but once we get to the 15mins before the off it’s time to leave it to the experts, imo, and Jones and Brundle would make an ace commentary team for the race

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Prob imagine that BBC2 will show the F1

Hopefully live qualifying and maybe a half hour to one hour intro programme followed by a race with no adverts which for me ruined the ITV coverage.

On the commentary front prob will be Martin Brundle doing part of it amd maybe David Croft who does the 5live commentary at a guess

Host wise cant see Steve Rider coming back to the Beeb so maybe Suzi Perry or Gabby Logan as a guess or who knows Rishi Persad has some spare time on his hands.

Another long shot for the commentary job could be someone from horse racing, I think Mark Johnson has done it before and would go into overdrive at the start

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Every sport has its detractors and supporters, but either way, i find this expenditure on this godawful charmless tacky pile of crap baffling.

What is its appeal?

The fake glamour is as convincing as a bottle of Chanel from Romford Market. Classy it isnt …unless you think Hello magazine is the height of sophistication (im getting very snobby now)

And dont we all see enough cars and traiffic all day long ?

And wheres the interest? ever heard two formula one "fans" have a heated and long detailed discussion in a pub for instance? It is about as intelllectually stimulating as wrestling

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

clivex, I’ve already told you…….it’s appeal is in spunking your licence fee up the wall. :mrgreen:

PS. I note that the Beeb have just extended their Wimbledon contract. I can’t wait to find out how much we’re all paying to watch the half-wits on Henman Hill, Murray Mound (or more accurately ‘Knobend Knoll’) waving their Union Jacks as yet another waste of energy bombs in front of his home crowd.

At least British-owned teams and drivers will be at the head of affairs in F1, and the coverage lasts for 8 months on otherwise terminally boring Sundays, compared to the fortnight-long strawberry-and-cream, middle-class wankfest that is Wimbledon.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8965

Not a Pimms on the lawn man then Grass?

zafonic
    • Total Posts 13

Think you will find you pay the license fee for your television set, not for the programmes on it, you get the BBC for free basically :twisted: :P

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

I think you will find that 100% of the licence fee goes to the BBC, zafonic, so it hardly matters what they say the actual charge is for.

Here is how it breaks down on a Monthly basis:

49p supporting 240 websites on bbc.co.uk
    £7.54 on eight BBC television channels
    £1.17 on ten BBC national radio stations
    75p on regional radio stations
    £1.01 on broadcasting costs and Admin

zafonic
    • Total Posts 13

I think you will find that 100% of the licence fee goes to the BBC, zafonic, so it hardly matters what they say the actual charge is for.

I totally agree, but the has been many court challenges about the TV license over the years, only using your tv to watch sky, to watch videos, to play video games, they all fail in there challenges,my point being if the BBC was totally scrapped i still think the government would charge for a TV license.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

and the coverage lasts for 8 months on otherwise terminally boring Sundays

No. You mixed up the the sentence

It makes a Sunday feel like a terminally boring day that lasts eight months

Right…

Wimbledon….

Im not a great tennis fan buit can be (like many others) drawn in by wimbledon. In fact few people really dislike the whole tournament (forget the hill) do they?

Point it…its not a "sport" which is actively hated by the intelligent half of the country

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

I’ve tried to like Formula One but I really can’t. Even when I was a terminally bored student reluctant to move from my Sunday morning sofa, I still couldn’t stick more than the build-up and the first lap. It seems so soulless, so mechanical and so utterly devoid of drama. Brief flurries of excitement, perhaps, but after the first corner, its all lap times, pit-stops and the slow grinding inevitable victory of the man driving the fastest car.

Why the BBC should bother with this sport when there is a world of cricket out there I simply don’t understand. When I was young, summer holidays consisted of wall to wall cricket on the BBC with a brief two week interruption for Wimbledon. Now that was television.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

When I was young, summer holidays consisted of wall to wall cricket on the BBC with a brief two week interruption for Wimbledon. Now that was television.

…interspersed – and remembered with varying degrees of fondness – with plentiful re-runs of Rentaghost, Eureka!, Junior Kickstart, The Adventure Game, We Are the Champions and Play Chess with William Hartston.

Oh, and bleeding sodding chuffing Why Don’t You…?. Sylvia Whatsit Drama School closed for the summer or something, was it? Why Don’t You naff off home and practice kissing on the mirror rather than soil my telly with your inteminable origami and crispy cakes recipes, then, you overexposed juvenile twits!!! AAARRGGGH.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Wimbledon….

In fact few people really dislike the whole tournament (forget the hill) do they?

Who cares – anyone who likes Wimbledon, or even tolerates it, is clearly a soft Southern knobber.

:mrgreen:

As for F1, please don’t think I’m some kind of Clarkson-loving petrol-head. I would quite happily see Clarkson and the other two poncing arse*holes from his sh*it boy-racer show, fed through an idling wood-chipper.

I feel you miss the point about F1, clivex.

It is the easiest sport in the world to make money from betting on.

Bar none.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Jeremy

What have you been on this afternoon? :shock:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.