The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Battleground – Chesham Stakes

Home Forums Horse Racing Battleground – Chesham Stakes

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1244

Can anyone more knowledgable help with this query?

I was under the impression the Chesham Stakes at Royal Ascot was resticted to juveniles who were sired by stallions whom won over a distance of 1m1.5f or further.

Battleground won last year, sired by War Front, who never ran over further than 7f.

I am obviously misinformed about something as usual – but what?

Many thanks in advance.

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 548

Just to point out that War Front won the Princelet Stakes at Belmont over 8½ furlongs aged 3 in 2005.

However, that’s still 1 furlong short of the entry requirement for the Chesham.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1094

Battleground is definitely ineligible for this year’s renewal – hope that helps!

It doesn’t?

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Personal-Blog/The-Point-to-Point-NH-Flat-racing-punter-105339604816039/

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3191

Battleground qualified via his dam, Found. These are the race conditions for this year:

“for two yrs old only, whose sire or dam won a race of a mile and a quarter or over”

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1244

Ah – Sire OR Dam. Could have sworn it was just Sire. Thanks AP.

Seasider – RP have no record of that, strange.

Ian – No, absolutely useless information, thanks.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3191

It was just sire, but I’ve checked backwards and the qualification via the dam was introduced in 2019. No idea why, unless it was just designed to open up the race to more horses.

With the yearling markets dominated by sires that were sprinters and milers, perhaps somebody could see the day coming when the field for this would consist solely of six or seven runners from Coolmore.

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1244

Thanks again AP – nice to know my memory is reliable on occasion!

Agree with your assessment of why the change has included the Dam too. I quite liked the ‘Sire Only’ condition. Shame to see it go, sign of the breeding times as you say.

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 548

TTC: Seasider – RP have no record of that, strange.

It is odd.

For some reason the RP gives the horse’s 4-y-o form but ignores his two previous seasons.

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1244

Yes I noticed that too, in the small print below the actual form. The missing two seasons don’t appear in the ‘Win/Place/Prize Money’ summary either.

Maybe the RP started covering septic tank racing in 2006.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1094

“Ian – No, absolutely useless information, thanks.”

At least I’m consistent!

And you are most welcome!

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Personal-Blog/The-Point-to-Point-NH-Flat-racing-punter-105339604816039/

The Tatling Cheekily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1244

:good: :good: :good:

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3191

The basic lesson from War Front is never trust the Racing Post on anything to do with racing abroad. They’ve always had some level of US form in their database, but it’s hardly ever complete.

Check out the record for a 1996 horse called Skimming. On the Post database, he’s shown as going straight from a moderate conditions race at Wolverhampton, to a win in the Grade 1 Pacific Classic at Del Mar. In reality, he’d had five previous races in California before that G1 win.

I suspect in the case of War Front, he only got included in the Post database once he’d been placed in a Graded race, which he didn’t achieve until he was a 4-y-old.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4209

I’ve checked backwards and the qualification via the dam was introduced in 2019

Where do you check race conditions like this ap?

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3191

On the Racing Admin site run by Weatherbys, which unfortunately is only open to owners, trainers, etc. It’s the only site I’m aware of that includes the race conditions as part of the result.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.