The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ban Whips! But not pro-cush.

Home Forums Horse Racing Ban Whips! But not pro-cush.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26580

Whips that are used away from racing are not as horse friendly as the pro-cush whip.

So to counter the RSPCA, should the BHA call for the Government to ban all other whips other than the pro-cush?

Perhaps then the public would realise what the whip actually is.

value is everything
    andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Every broadcast of racing should carry a disclaimer about the whip,expressing support for it’s use where necessary, and showing how light it is and how non hostile it’s use is.The racing public need to be informed.They can then inform their non racing friends.

HurdygurdymanHurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1560

That should cause a fair but of unemployment Ginger and send Pro Cush shares soaring. Should we buy now? :mrgreen:

Can I suggest back to the drawing board?

The idea of promoting these safety whips, let’s call them, on TV isn’t such a bad idea though.

JJMSportsJJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2036

Jason Weaver?

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2921

I don’t think the incompetents at the BHA should be calling on anyone to do anything.
    They should get their own house in order first, highly unlikely with the present incumbents.
    What have the BHA done to educate the general public on the whip?
    All they have done is brought in ludicrous rules to appease people who don’t care about the sport.
    Education, education, education, you BHA muppets!

Participant
    • Total Posts 26580

Hurdy / Yeats,

Apologies if I’ve missed it if you’ve already answered this but…

How would you like the BHA to educate the general public?

If only we didn’t have the bad feeling between BHA and PJA, they could act together. May be Dettori and McCoy could go around the talk shows, educating viewers about the racing whip/pro cush.

If the public can be educated, then there might not be the need for as (it seems) jockey unfriendly rules.

value is everything
    • Total Posts 1560

That’s easy I’d hit John McCririck across the backside with the pro-cush while he was presenting live.

He wouldn’t even notice it and that would convince most people that it doesn’t hurt baby elephants so the likelihood is it down’t hurt horses either :P

Some sort of visual examples could surely be arranged

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2921

Hurdy / Yeats,

What are they paid big salaries for?
    What are they currently doing to educate the public?
    Who presided over the PR disaster on National Day?
    Who’s fecking the game up with their silly whip rules?

Participant
    • Total Posts 26580

Hurdy / Yeats,

What are they paid big salaries for?
    What are they currently doing to educate the public?
    Who presided over the PR disaster on National Day?
    Who’s fecking the game up with their silly whip rules?

So help the BHA out Yeats.
    If you think the BHA should educate, make some suggestions on how to do it.

value is everything
    • Total Posts 1560

Turning it into another media circus is certainly not the way to go.

Your idea of putting Frankie and AP out there is simplistic thinking that works in some cases but in this case would no doubt end in disaster.

There are times when silence is golden and this is one of those times.

Not saying bury your head in the sand and hope it will go away just don’t give anyone an opportunity to come after you and come after you they would.

The BHA should and must concentrate on improving the standards in the stewarding department by offering a package that attracts real professionals to the job.

You may ask where will the money come from to pay these professionals?

If Mr Roy and co are so sure they can increase revenue by showing the public racing is today a more animal friendly sport they must begin by introducing more efficient policing.

This recent attempt to do that was motivated by money or the lack of. A way of stewarding that would put no further financial burden on racing. Great idea in theory but in practice doomed to fail from the word go.

The main role of stewards is to catch and report anyone out to cheat and to ensure horses are not abused.

The latter is probably the more difficult of the two and certainly the more common. It takes a skilled eye with hands on experience to determine whether a jockey has crossed the line. At least in a touch and go situation it does and we’ve had plenty of those lately.

We know drawing a line and saying don’t cross it doesn’t work. It leads to a a crass misrepresentation of the facts, it’s both harsh and unprofessional

A simple alternative would be to employ 3 or 4 experienced riders preferably with race riding experience to sit on a panel and oversee each incident as it happens.

There is absolutely nothing to stop a panel like this viewing exactly the same evidence as the current stewards do, nor is there anything stopping an offender putting his case forward to them by video conference.

We have the technology as they say.

As I say if the BHA are sure that racing would benefit from coming across as more animal friendly there should be sufficient financial gain to cover the costs of such a panel.

Fining and banning more jockeys by making it more difficult to adhere to rules is counter productive, it also gives out the wrong impression to the public. We need less banning and if the jockeys know big brother who really knows his stuff is watching then offences will go down. There is without doubt a lack of respect for the current stewards who to a jockey’s mind doesn’t know his ar$e from his elbow and that must change.

Now that I have solved the problem please forward my findings to the BHA and I’ll bill them accordingly. :mrgreen:

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2921

So help the BHA out Yeats.
    If you think the BHA should educate, make some suggestions on how to do it.

I’ve no interest in helping the BHA out, maybe they could ask their Irish counterparts who, in combination with the Irish jockeys will be educating the public rather than being led by uninformed opinion.

Sounds far more sensible to me than what’s occurred here Gingertipster, what do you think?

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5108

.How would you like the BHA to educate the general public?

By asking the government to reintroduce corporal punishment in schools

This being the 21st century the barbaric weapons of yesteryear – cane-on-bum (bare if Public School, trousered if State), ruler-on-knuckles, and thumb-in-neck – will be replaced by 6-of-the-best (may be 7 or 8 ) with the pro-crush-crop

‘Didn’t hurt a bit Sir, but the noise frightened me’

:?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17727

Drone

, sensible suggestions. I can only add my idea for a popular panel game –

Celebrity Swipe

Blindfolded contestants bare their arms (or any other part of their anatomy, if we’re after that oh-so-effective "watershed") and to mirthful audience encouragement submit themselves to six of the best from a C-list celebrity (perhaps John McCririck might like to be an early volunteer?)

As of course the contestants won’t be able to feel a thing, they are then allowed to ask up to twenty questions to establish the identity of their jovial assailant. As a prize, any contestant successfully guessing correctly could then swipe the celebrity back.

Come to think of it, once the Levy disappears a similar prize could be instituted for all races under Listed level.

• Total Posts 1560

.How would you like the BHA to educate the general public?

By asking the government to reintroduce corporal punishment in schools

This being the 21st century the barbaric weapons of yesteryear – cane-on-bum (bare if Public School, trousered if State), ruler-on-knuckles, and thumb-in-neck – will be replaced by 6-of-the-best (may be 7 or 8 ) with the pro-crush-crop

‘Didn’t hurt a bit Sir, but the noise frightened me’

:?

You are a man of great vision Drone :wink: what a crackingly good idea sport but capital instead of corpral might be required to sort out the school kids these days. Especially those who have aspirations to join the BHA

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5767

Maybe we could campaign for changing the ad which tops n tails each CH Racing break:

"How was Myleene to know she would forget her pro-cush whip, so vital in painlessly but immediately attracting the attention of cabin crew on her long trip to Dubai?"

CUT TO: male cabin crew member smilingly pointing at Myleene and saying "Don’t forget, you’re restricted to seven strokes per flight, though more can be purchased from our in-flight menu"

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.