The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Azertyuiop retired

Home Forums Horse Racing Azertyuiop retired

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Reported on the Sporting Life site this morning that this grand chaser is not up to the rigours of training and has been retired.

A sad loss to the sport!

Colin

underscore
    • Total Posts 537

I could never pronounce his name correctly – so it saves me a few slaggings.  

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

Shame really since he was very exciting.  BUT he achieved alot and will be remembered for his battles with BOS as well as having a daft name. :biggrin:

SHL

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

What battles with BOS are you alluding to?

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

Quote: from thedarkknight on 9:05 am on Sep. 8, 2006[br]He was a very good chaser at his best.

IMO it was a great shame that Paul Nicholls chose to run him when he clearly had physical problems on his final start. Maybe this sad conclusion will serve as a reminder that some things are more important than winning (or indeed losing) a trainers championship.<br>

Exactly.

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

<br>He must mean Moscow Flyer:biggrin:

Such a shame and I sure hope that this isn’t a sign of things to come this jumps season after what happened last year.

A great chaser, I remember when he won his first Game Spirit – he was effortlessly awesome that day.

Mully
    • Total Posts 156

Totally agree with you ‘ TheDarkKnight’, I think that decision taken by Nicholls and Hales totally ruined the horse. <br>Before that season Azertyuiop was a fantastic horse to watch and his Queen Mother was exhilarating to watch. The Tingle Creek with Moscow, Azer and Well Chief is a race to cherish for life.

My pic of Azer.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 438

Azertyuiop was a top-notch ‘chaser, although not quite deserving of the 182 awarded to him by Timeform in a year when they went totally over the top in their ratings. He was a good jumper, able to quicken off a strong pace and brave and consistent to boot.

His retirement, as well as Moscow Flyer’s, will certainly leave a void at the top of the two-mile ‘chasing tree, but there are enough promising youngsters around to suggest that we should be in for some cracking contests over that trip this season.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Azertyuiop’s 182 was rock solid. Giving 19 lb to Isio in the Victor Chandler. Isio won again next time off 155 and went down by just 6 lengths to Moscow Flyer off levels of Aintree.

The figures stand up under scutiny in handicap company, surely that is the best test. He reproduced it when giving 4 lb and a two and a half length beating to Well Chief in the Game Spirit. Well Chief on his previous outing had of course won the VC himself off 176.

It rather annoys me how Nicholls sells Azertyuiop sort when he compares Kauto Star to him. Kauto Star isn’t anywhere near Azertyuiop’s league (yet! possibly).

(Edited by davidjohnson at 11:51 am on Sep. 8, 2006)

Purwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 657

Quote:

It rather annoys me how Nicholls sells Azertyuiop sort when he compares Kauto Star to him. Kauto Star isn’t anywhere near Azertyuiop’s league (yet! possibly).

Agree with that DJ but perhaps we’ll see better this year?

Incidentally for those who don’t know azertyuiop is the top line of a French typewriter keyboard (ours being qwertyuiop). It’s probably been largely superseded by now though.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 438

grasshopper and dj, I have no problems with the ratings based on the horses’ handicap marks that season; Azertyuiop and Well Chief gave massive beatings to other good-class (though not necessarily reliable) ‘chasers like Armaturk and Cenkos that year.

My problem lies with the historical value of those figures. It is well known that both handicap marks and independent ratings creep up over time (I’m sure that the BHB adjusted all handicap marks to counter this a few years ago, but haven’t got the article at hand) and this results in falsely high ratings as a consequence. I can’t have it that Moscow Flyer, Azertyuiop and Well Chief were all markedly superior to such top-class two milers as Badsworth Boy, Pearlyman, Martha’s Son, etc. In fact, anyone who thinks that Well Chief could give Badsworth Boy weight and beat him needs his head examined, in my opinion.

:biggrin:

marko
    Participant
    • Total Posts 85

Yquem21

I thought that the BHB had to raise the h’cap marks, several times in recent years, as the ratings were slipping!

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

Quote: from SirHarryLewis on 9:12 am on Sep. 8, 2006[br]Shame really since he was very exciting.  BUT he achieved alot and will be remembered for his battles with BOS as well as having a daft name. :biggrin: <br>

Sorry I ment MF of course. I was writing too many threads simultaneously

SHL

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

Quote: from yquem21 on 12:42 pm on Sep. 8, 2006[br]grasshopper and dj, I have no problems with the ratings based on the horses’ handicap marks that season; Azertyuiop and Well Chief gave massive beatings to other good-class (though not necessarily reliable) ‘chasers like Armaturk and Cenkos that year.

My problem lies with the historical value of those figures. It is well known that both handicap marks and independent ratings creep up over time (I’m sure that the BHB adjusted all handicap marks to counter this a few years ago, but haven’t got the article at hand) and this results in falsely high ratings as a consequence. I can’t have it that Moscow Flyer, Azertyuiop and Well Chief were all markedly superior to such top-class two milers as Badsworth Boy, Pearlyman, Martha’s Son, etc. In fact, anyone who thinks that Well Chief could give Badsworth Boy weight and beat him needs his head examined, in my opinion.

:biggrin: <br>

So are we saying that there is a rating creepage of sorts that happens over the years.??

SHL

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Any news of Well Chief who was also injured?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.