The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ayr called off due to PA system fault (nah, high winds!)

Home Forums Horse Racing Ayr called off due to PA system fault (nah, high winds!)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5937

Ayr eventually bowed to the inevitable and today’s meeting has been called off due to safety concerns. It really should have been called off earlier, but what I can gather the Clerk of the Course was really in a cleft stick on this one. Apparently the BHA frown on call offs because of what the weather might do…

I suspect there wouldn’t have been many runners left anyway due to travel difficulties.

Official reason was a problem with the PA system, but I suspect that was a ‘good excuse’.

Rob

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4823

In all fairness isn’t it high time Ayr Racecourse was not given fixtures during the Winter anymore. On the odd day they do actually manage to get a meeting on, the through the card field sizes are a joke anyway.

I’m not an advocate of less racing, but if forced to nominate one track for closure, the Fawlty Towers of racing would easily top the list.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5937

They managed to put on both days of this meeting last year, with big fields as well, as it was the only Scottish meeting that had gone ahead for about 6 weeks. In case of cold weather they can sometimes avoid the worst of the frosts, so it’s not necessarily the case that they can’t race during the winter months.

I must admit though that it’s my least favourite course of the five in Scotland. Ayr tends to rate themsleves the premier Scottish course and assumes that everyone else thinks the same.

Rob

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

From the RP website:

With several heavy branches now in a precarious position overhanging the parking spot, it was deemed unsafe for the RaceTech lorry to be parked under the tree.

As such no PA announcements would be possible at the course and, in the interest of health and safety, the track was forced to abandon.

The loss of the RaceTech lorry would also have meant a loss of pictures, commentary and all PA services, all of which the meeting could not be staged without.

Just another example of racing being unable to speak the truth.

Presumably, on Ayr Gold Cup day there are no more parking spaces available than there are today and anyway the RaceTech lorry can only ever be parked under this tree at Ayr, even when at Lingfield or wherever!

Why could they just not be honest and say that they were cancelling due to the atrocious weather meaning that not many horses would have got there and hardly any paying punters would have turned up meaning they would have had an unprofitable day in conditions unfit to race horses?

And with some balls they could have called it yesterday.

Miss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1335

Why would they need to call off a racecard due to a PA system fault, anyway? Horseracing did in fact exist before the invention of the PA system, and up until the 1990s Keeneland didn’t even have an announcer.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8979

Radio Scotland were reporting it was called off due to safety concerns related to high winds.

No one should have been outside today in Central Scotland that didn’t need to be. Chaos everywhere, particularly this AM.

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6288

It, was quite bad in the south today with Epsom racecourse being evacuated because of damage:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/racing … -roof.html

Regards
    :cool:

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1293

I have to take slight issue with the detractors of Ayr racecourse.
    I am sure that they do not call off a disproportionately high level of meetings, in fact I would guess that due to the North Atlantic Drift’s warming effect the course may avoid many frost related cancellations. ( I am quite happy to stand corrected if statistics say otherwise).
    I can think of many other racecourses that I would rather close before Ayr (not that I really want to see any close).

Kenh
    Participant
    • Total Posts 739

Why would they need to call off a racecard due to a PA system fault, anyway? Horseracing did in fact exist before the invention of the PA system, and up until the 1990s Keeneland didn’t even have an announcer.

I think they have to have a working PA system at events such as this by law for H&S reasons.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Regardless of the reason, the correct decision was made.

Few punters would have made the effort to to attend and any racing which might have taken place would very soon have been abandoned in any case. The weather in Ayrshire was absolutely atrocious. Train services from Glasgow to Ayr were also cancelled.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.