The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

AVRO ANSON’S AGE

Home Forums Horse Racing AVRO ANSON’S AGE

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    sovies friend
    Participant
    • Total Posts 71

HELP NEEDED CAN ANY ONE TELL ME HOW OLD AVRO ANSON IS CAN’T SEEM TO FIND ANY INFO IN SPORTING LIFE.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

He was born in 1988, making him 22 if he’s still above ground (RP can be a bit slow in this regard)

sovies friend
    Participant
    • Total Posts 71

Thanks carvillshill I’m pleased to say Avro Anson is alive & well sharing a field with Dancing Bay at Star cottage in Malton i just couldn’t remember what year he was born I’ll be feeding him polos in the next few weeks.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Good to know Sovies- the Racing Post site is the one for information like that.
    I still remember him winning the Stayers Hurdle in ’94 before being disqualified, must have been tough on all concerned.

sovies friend
    Participant
    • Total Posts 71

I’m pleased to say that I had a lovely Day at Star Cottage yesterday.
    Avro Anson looks as well as ever & successfully mugged me for half a packet of polo’s Dancing Bay taking care of the remainder.

Maurice did try telling us Avro was 19 years old again !!!

Could everybody please say a prayer for a Little New Approach ex Kalinka filly foal who has been very poorly since the day she was born but has an incredible will to live to make it this far against all odds.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Good luck with your filly foal Sovies friend. My prayers are with you both

sovies friend
    Participant
    • Total Posts 71

Thank you Coggy

She needs all the help she can get but she really is a little fighter & has a great temprement despite everything she been through.

We know she’ll never make the race course but if New Approach makes the grade as a sire she’s going to be a great broodmare & with a bit of luck will speand her life in the loving & expert care of the Camacho’s.

The emotion in maurice’s voice as he explained all the problems she’s had brought a lump to the throat.

It’s been said that she should be named sooner rather than later so any suggestions for something strong that describes her spirit & will to live would be great.

sovies friend
    Participant
    • Total Posts 71

I’m very sad to report the the New Approach ex Kalinka Filly finally lost her brave battle for life on 29th September 2010. Her stifle just couldn’t be fixed.

My heart goes out to Maurice camacho as it’s only 1 week since we lost Kabayil.

Sweet dreams little darling free from pain & able to run like the wind .

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Good to know Sovies- the Racing Post site is the one for information like that.
    I still remember him winning the Stayers Hurdle in ’94 before being disqualified, must have been tough on all concerned.

1994 was my first time at the Festival, and I of course backed Avro Anson that day he was lobbed-out. Good to hear the old boy is still going strong.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 438

So sorry to hear about the little filly’s demise, but I’m sure that she’s in a better place.

Sweet dreams little darling free from pain & able to run like the wind .

A beautiful and heartfelt epitaph.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9299

Did she get her name, sovies friend? They break your heart, don’t they…

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Sad news indeed from Star Cottage. She certainly fought hard, from all accounts, and was full of life – Kalinka and her offspring have not had much good fortune lately, with the exception of Marlinka’s listed success in France; and we can only hope that the Oasis Dream-Soviet Song colt revives the family fortunes.

Thank you for breaking the news so gracefully.

sovies friend
    Participant
    • Total Posts 71

Thank you Pinza Moehat & yquem21 for your kind sympathies.

She never did get a name of her own Pinza I just called her sweetpea because she had a cheeky way about her that was very good at conning polo’s out of you just like her mum.

I’ll always think what might have been would she have produced a derby winner if fates had been kinder.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Bless you and your foal sovies friend, my thoughts are with you.
    Brings back sad memories of one I lost one of mine several years ago.
    Chin up, gone to a better place

• Total Posts 1083

Touching thread, as Pinza said thanks for breaking the news so gently.

Roseblossom
    Participant
    • Total Posts 353

As another Elite member I’ve followed the New Approach filly’s short life closely, and it was very sad – albeit not a great surprise – to find that the stifle problem she was suffering had reached a point where she could no longer manage to get around. The Camachos have done a fantastic job with the Elite broodmares they have and they fought very hard for this filly.

[That said – the stifle problem was only a part of her issues – she was extremely ill after birth with a series of problems including a serious heart infection – and I would have been horrified if (had she survived) they had bred from her.]

A lot of times early in her life it was touch and go, and it was Maurice’s faith in her fighting spirit that gave her a chance. I know he was very upset when the stifle problem came to light; his reports mixed joy at seeing her become strong enough to go out in the paddock and sorrow at watching her careering round like foals do, knowing that it was making her problem worse. I’m glad that she had a chance to experience "real" horse life, even briefly, after so much time with vets and kept in a box.

I’m desperately sorry that having had to decide to have Kabayil, who has been with them for a long time, put down, Maurice then days later has had to make the choice for one of the newest. But I’m relieved to know both horses were with someone who clearly adored them.

Participant
    • Total Posts 358

Yes it has been a torrid time for the Camacho’s & their staff who look after their charges so wonderfully well. Thinking about it Kabayil’s progeny haven’t had a lot of luck. The Lomitas foal, Spanish Lace & Shamrock Bay are alas no more, I hope her Daughter Rustic Charm is a success as a Broodmare, her progeny deserve a slice of luck.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.