The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ascot – Soft to Heavy my Ar*e

Home Forums Horse Racing Ascot – Soft to Heavy my Ar*e

Viewing 5 posts - 103 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 500

What i find interesting is that we have many journalists (some members of this forum) who rattle on about racetimes, but not one of em has an interest in getting off their arse, measuring the distances at a racecourse and reporting back their findings to the great unwashed

Richard Hoiles
    • Total Posts 197

Reet,

Not if they harrow deeper which is what Kempton and Lingfield do when it rains and left open.

Participant
    • Total Posts 7238

Nice work Quadrilla

Is there anyone out there who knows exactly what work was done to the NH track during Ascot’s closure?

Have any fences been rebuilt and/or re-sited?

Has any drainage work been done on the round course?

Has any turf been relaid on the round course or, if re-sown, was a ‘lighter’ soil imported as a seedbed?

Drone

The NH course straight was relaid farther north than the original straight. This section was completely relaid including drainage, hence the diifference in drainage and going between the new part and the remainder of the course.

Not sure regarding fence positioning, but the water jump was replaced with a plain fence. Looking at Google Earth, a photo taken during relaying of the course suggests that the six fences farthest from the stand were not moved.

The 2 mile start for chases became impractical since it would have been close to the final bend, hence the new 2m 1f distance with a fence before the straight.

The mile straight of the flat course was re-aligned and relaid in it’s entirety, with the previous road crossing being replaced by a tunnel.

Rob

Participant
    • Total Posts 5946

Thanks Rob

I was aware of the changes you mention regarding the straight and the realignment of the exit from the round course necessitating a 17f start but I remain intrigued by the possibilty of ‘unreported’ remedial work to the round course.

To paraphrase The Zim: there’s something going on here but I don’t know what it is

• Total Posts 1402

I appreciate the thread has moved on to some very interesting discussions about the state of Ascot’s soil but on a general note does anyone else rely on the turftrax going stick reading rather than the official going?

Viewing 5 posts - 103 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.