The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

AP McCoy

Home Forums Horse Racing AP McCoy

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1631

Wouldn’t usually do this, but can someone explain why McCoy didn’t kick on, but chose to restrain Preacher Boy back when his horse was full of running?

Oh and Tom Segal

The staying handicap chase (3.45) is full of imponderables because I don’t think the favourite Preacher Boy will like the ground one bit – his trainer has pulledhim out on similar, if not better, ground twice lately – and his very best form is at Wincanton, where it never really gets that soft.

Yes, he ran well up to a point in the Hennessy on soft ground last time, but he clearly floundered in the ground when push came to shove and I think he’ll be miles better when the ground dries.

Learn to read the formbook properly and you’ll probably have a turn around in form

<br>

(Edited by empty wallet at 4:03 pm on Jan. 6, 2007)

Participant
    • Total Posts 1416

He seemed to hold everything up today.  Ruby outrode him in the Tolworth.  No other way to say it.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Arguably he didn’t see the race out as well as seemed likely in the Hennessy, if connections were concerned about the going, I can imagine that his instructions were to not him the front too soon. Personally I didn’t think Preacher Boy’s jumping was as good as it could have been today, perhaps that was down to the ground.

Is there not a chance that Silverburn simply outstayed Perce Rock. Silverburn is certainly bred to stay much further than Perce Rock who is essentially Flat bred to prove best at around 10f.

• Total Posts 1631

Thanks for the well reasoned reply DJ

I honestly believe that had McCoy kicked on when coming upsides the leader instead of hanging on and letting the winner get a few length on him, he’d have won today

<br>Regarding Perce Rock, i totally agree, i think maybe on better ground PR may be able turn around that form. even  though i thought the winner did it well

(Edited by empty wallet at 5:07 pm on Jan. 6, 2007)

• Total Posts 1631

Just had a quick look at Pedigree of PR and in my estimation,  even though progeny act on Soft, quicker ground, say G/S, Good could be the optimum

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’m with DJ on this one.<br>Having backed Preacher’s Boy on the premise that he would be pulled out on heavy ground, I was disappointed to see him running, and suspected his fate before the off.<br> His trainer had stated that " heavy ground wouldn’t suit him" in this morning’s Post, and though he ran through it well enough on the flat, he didn’t jump with any great fluency out of it.<br> Having made an error at the 3rd fence, AP  apparently decided to hold him together at each fence afterwards, and though he did make another couple of errors, he did keep him in contention.<br>Not the ideal situation for a horse that depends on a solid gallop rather than finishing speed, and an excellent run in the circumstances.Imo he should win again this season, given better ground.

• Total Posts 1631

Sorry but i just can’t see where you get the better ground from

look at the form, today a bog, just beaten, Soft at Wetherby = ploughed fields, beaten by a very good Chaser that went on to win Welsh National easily, Newbury, soft, beaten by a horse fancied for GC and a horse that ran 3rd in the Welsh National

<br>That say to me, TOP class form on soft, not a horse that needs better ground,

Do you really rate getting beat by Parsons and beating Regal Bandit,Berengario on good better than the above?

(Edited by empty wallet at 6:14 pm on Jan. 6, 2007)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

EW

It all depends on how you read form!;) <br> (And, of course, whether you believe the trainer).

(Edited by reet hard at 7:15 pm on Jan. 6, 2007)

• Total Posts 1631

Quote: from reet hard on 7:15 pm on Jan. 6, 2007[br] EW

It all depends on how you read form!;) <br> (And, of course, whether you believe the trainer).

(Edited by reet hard at 7:15 pm on Jan. 6, 2007)<br>

<br>It certainly does reet and if the trainer thinks this horse’s performances are better on quicker ground then he goes in room 101 with Segal

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

I was at the track today and have it on good authority that Hodges didn’t want to run him on heavy going but the owners insisted.

• Total Posts 1631

Owners know best imo

Maybe this RP race analyst should advise trainer and Segal

Preacher Boy held excellent claims assessed on two strong runs this season, including a third to State Of Play in the Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup, and he almost certainly ran up to his best. Trainer Ron Hodges had expressed reservations about the heavy ground but his charge seemed to handle the conditions better than most and was merely beaten by a better horse on the day

<br>i’d disagree with beaten by better horse bit though 😮 :biggrin:

(Edited by empty wallet at 7:05 am on Jan. 8, 2007)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

EW

Maybe that RP analyst reads form the same way you do? :biggrin: <br> Do you seriously believe that a 3l defeat by a 129 rated horse, who had never won more than a 0-105 handicap previously, is anywhere near Preacher’s Boy’s optimum?<br>

(Edited by reet hard at 8:53 am on Jan. 8, 2007)

• Total Posts 1631

reet

<br>lets put is this way, it’s the only losing bet i had on saturday(united and Bohemian Spirit) and watching McCoy ride this horse reminded me of the way he rode Mikado at Chepstow, that p**sed up at 14-1 next time and I was on that too, see Lays and Plays

<br> don’t try to take the p**s out of my me pal, smiley attached or not

<br>

(Edited by empty wallet at 9:25 am on Jan. 8, 2007)

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Have to agree McCoy was out ridden by Ruby on Perce Rock and deep down i think McCoy realised that, he wasnt happy when he came back…. i know he is never happy when he finished second but it seemed like a unhappy with himself type of not happy.

Perce Rock, will stay further than 2miles, no doubt. Ok, so his pedigree suggests that a mile and a half would probably the optimum, but the way he won his bumper over an extened 2miles on bottomless ground suggests he will get 2 and a half no problem. I have never seen a horse quicken like he did on that sort of ground that day. I immediatly had some on for the champion bumper, where again he was staying on towards to end of 2miles up hill.

He needs further, but will he be good enough to match up with Aran Concerto in the Ballymore?

• Total Posts 1631

I see RP Handicappers rate Silverburn 151 (Highest in last 5 year)

Tad high imo, I do think the front two are potentially very useful, but i worry about the merits of those filling the other places and conditions playing into the winners favour

Galejade
    • Total Posts 185

Just had an update from Ron Hodges on Preacher Boy. The horse hit the 2nd last , ripped a shoe off and got an overreach. He is still badly lame. McCoy is adamant that he would otherwise have won.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

EW,

Do you think there’s any chance that this is a reaction to them perhaps under-rating Noland last year? I think 151 is a bit over the top. Nicholls stated beforehand he’s a 2 1/2 mile horse but the conditions would give him an outstanding chance.. I’m not sure Perce Rock will be able to turn the tables though. He had every chance in my opinion.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.