The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Answer this horse racing question then ask the next

Home Forums Horse Racing Answer this horse racing question then ask the next

Viewing 17 posts - 341 through 357 (of 1,494 total)
  • Author
    Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Ok, Staying on the Derby theme then..

Which Derby winner started off his racing career by getting beaten at Wolverhampton last year?

Good luck Rob – give the others a chance!

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I’ll give you another day and then I’ll reveal..

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

This year’s Jersey Derby winner Major Maximus was beaten at Wolverhampton on his racecourse debut in 2009 when under the care of George Baker, but given the gap I presume this isn’t the answer you are after.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

No, I did say he was beaten last year, and he was then racing for Jeremy Noseda.

The answer is Infinite Magic, who is now owned by Team Valor and trained by Rick Mettee. He won the American Derby, at Arlington Park, on 13th July.

It’s a free for all now…

Participant
    • Total Posts 101

Unlike all you guys, I’m no expert at all and couldn’t answer any of the questions posed here in a million years. But I thought it might be topical and timely to pose this extremely easy little teaser, if just to bump-start this thread.

Name the Group 3 event that used to take place at Goodwood on the Monday immediately after the St. Leger festival. (If memory serves me).

No cheating now! But I’m pretty sure lots of you know the answer.

Jim

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

I don’t recall that happening Jim but then again I’ve got a failing memory, was it the Select Stakes?

Participant
    • Total Posts 101

I don’t know how to say this, Yeats, but you are half right.

Of course it’s dead easy to find the answer I’m looking for now, but the first person to post it will have to post a new teaser!

I’ll be on the move shortly but will take a look at this thread again this evening, hopefully.

Good luck.

Jim

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

That’s a toughie Jimsun. I’ve been back to 1979 and can’t find a Group race on that Monday. As Yeats says the Select Stakes was run at Goodwood on both St Leger day and for some years on the Sunday but I can’t find it being held over until the Monday. Any clues?

Participant
    • Total Posts 101

Hi Adrian, the clue is that the Select Stakes was the same race as the one I had in mind but I’m going back to the mid-1970’s now and the race was run under its original name then. As for whether the race was definitely run on the Monday after the St. Leger, in some years at least, well maybe I am suffering a memory lapse but am fairly sure it was, at least during the mid-1970’s anyway. But I do know that since it became the Select Stakes the race has been run on a different day, later in the week.

Hope this helps! GL

Please excuse any delay in my response as I’m in the middle of a bit of DIY work and can only access my computer during break times.

Jim

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

Was it the Valdoe Stakes Jim?

Participant
    • Total Posts 101

Yes, Yeats! It certainly was the Valdoe Stakes.

Very well done, you. Glad to have gotten everybody’s brain cells working. :) Well done indeed.

Being a very young punter at the time, I seem to remember thinking it rather curious that there should be a good class 10-furlong race on a mundane Monday, especially straight after the excitement of the St. Leger.

So, over to you then Yeats.

Cheers

Jim

Sorry I forgot, but here’s the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Select_Stakes

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

Never been a fan of reusing names of racehorses, Highclere have quite a few at the moment – Homeric, Persepolis, Homage and Freemason off the top of my head but surprisingly even The Queen has used exactly the same name including GB prefix for two of her horses over the years.

What is the same name The Queen has used for two of her racehorses?

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Hopscotch?

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

That’s the one Adrian, well done.

I believe she played the game a lot as a child.

Your turn.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

OK – staying with the Royal theme can you name the female trainer who used to train for Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother?

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I’ll give this question until Sunday evening and then I’ll post up the answer. Just a little clue – she’s no longer alive..

strawbear
    Participant
    • Total Posts 229

Mercy Rimell ?

Viewing 17 posts - 341 through 357 (of 1,494 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.