The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

An end to packs of dogs tearing wild mammals to bits

Home Forums Archive Topics An end to packs of dogs tearing wild mammals to bits

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    robgomm
    • Total Posts 224

Don’t they shoot grouse in Scotland? I believe they breed them to shoot them.

Daylight
    • Total Posts 369

Or drink them, eh Esc!

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

You don’t live in the city by any chance do you Razeen?

robgomm
    • Total Posts 224

So they breed grouse, let them free on a certain day, shoot them and (some) eat them.

I’ve heard this called a sport by some people.

Maybe I should start a petition to get it banned.

No, i don’t think i’ll bother. To be honest, is it all that important? Surely a more important thing to debate is stopping child abuse or violent crime. Why is parliament wasting time debating foxhunting when there are far more important things to discuss.

robgomm
    • Total Posts 224

We are tackling foxhunting AHEAD of far more important matters.

I went to a school where disabled kids were based. I’ve seen people look at those kids and insult them…because they are disabled. Stopping that kind of predjudice is 100 times more important that stopping a fox being hunted.

Foxhunting should be well down on the governments list of priorities…but it isn’t. As humans, we must makes sure we survive. We have to stop illness and we have to help people live together without wanting to kick each others heads in (ie: racism).

Surely we can debate moral issues like foxhunting when we’ve sorted out things that ARE far more important.

Yes we can debate foxhunting but not ahead of more important things.

robgomm
    • Total Posts 224

I’m just voicing my opinion, not telling people to do anything. Sorry if i gave that impression. <br>Genocide overseas? That’s highly important…except i was talking about issues in our country and how important they are.

What is wrong with someone talking about making fences smaller or less stiff? Nothing at all. But if MP’s started debating that in the houses of parliament it would seem strange and a bit of a waste of time.

People on here debate horseracing as it is something they enjoy. Again, we aren’t going to go and talk about the Champion Hurdle winner in parliament are we? No we’re not because they have more important things to discuss than Istabraq.

If they wanted to make it legal again they’d be going around in circles wouldn’t they? What would be the point of that? More valuable time wasted. <br>

prince regent
    • Total Posts 221

<br>robbo

i share your concerns   about society  but not about protecting the rights  of the tally ho brigade  of  fox killers and pheasent shooters   to continue this barbaric sport   (all said and done they do it becuase they enjoy it)

and perhaps if the tally ho brigade have nothing better to do than chase foxes/hares etc   they could spend an equal amount of time   on more practical issues that are of  benifit to society such as volountry work for the disabled  etc u never know they may even find it as rewarding  as killing  foxes/birds/deer not withstanding the numorous  pets that they have also killed

and one other point to the question is why is the bhb    acting as a post office for the countryside alliance  in posting their circulars to  race horse owners? hardly the way to attract  new interest in the sport

its the 21st century get rid of  this sport here and wales as well

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Prince R,

Get rid of Wales?

That’s a little drastic, isn’t it? :biggrin:

robgomm
    • Total Posts 224

Where did i say vandalism or a local shop owner running a dogfighting show is small change to me?

These are the kinds of things i’m talking about! The above things should be discussed rather than foxhunting.

PR – good point about the fox hunters. Seems odd that all they have the time to do is hunt foxes.

I’m not saying it isn’t a cruel "sport", just that there are more important things to discuss.

The BHB wanted to show that their are groups opposed to racing and that their concerns matter. Animal Aid are one of the groups the BHB are allowing to post their circulars to racehorse owners – that is crazy. Animal Aid are extremists, they want racing as a WHOLE banned.

Razeen, there are violent crime issues to discuss such as muggings, rape, mobile phone theft but there are social issues to discuss too…racism for instance. These are more important than fox hunting.

PR – yep, the tally ho brigade are being protected by the law (well, not in Scotland anymore) which seems odd because as you said, they aren’t offering much to society.

prince regent
    • Total Posts 221

<br>rory

no it would  save us  from future harry secombes;) mind you how would they staff the bars at sandown??

sorry i meant in  england and wales

Scottish Jamie
    Participant
    • Total Posts 123

Rob you are right on the money with this one. As you may guess I live in Scotland and the general opinion is that this bill is an utter waste of time and money. As in England this bill was brought in by a couple of do-gooding, no-name Labour backbenchers trying to make a name for themselves. Who gives a damn about banning foxhunting if you have relatives waiting for healthcare or children needing education. Money could be better spent.

Lets face it, if they were hunting rats would anyone say a thing ? This is just the start, what will they ban next, angling ? surely thats cruel, shooting ? well yes must be but thats how they propose to control the fox population now so it must be cruel to shoot a pheasant or grouse but ok to shoot a fox. Then what will they go after, horse racing ? isn’t it cruel to make a horse run and jump for sport and whip it when it wants to slow down. I don’t believe in any of these things but there are a significant number of ill informed individuals in this country who would be delighted to see just that happen and now we’ve opened the door for them. The fact is that the human race has always ‘used’ animals whether for food or work or pleasure and the press coverage and political weight fox hunting recieves is way out of proportion to its impact on our lives. :angry:

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Whats all this Tally Ho brigade business?<br>I hunt foxes in the winter and mink in the summer but do it as a hobby on Saturdays.  I work hard the rest of the time and it seems to me there is some perceived class hatrid at work here.  It certainly can’t be with respect to the packs I hunt with as there are very few snobby sorts out with us.<br>I hunt foxes for the love of the ride and to support the hunt which does a good job.  Only last week we despatched a fox which probably killed all the chickens and ducks at a nearby farm.  The hunt also works hard to preserve the coverts and hedges around here – making the countryside a better place.<br>With regard to mink they were let out by well meaning do gooders and now they are killing our indigenous river wildlife.  I consider it a good ecologoical thing to get rid of them as they should not be there in the first place.  What would be the alternative if hunting is banned here – to let mink kill all our voles, amphibians, fish etc?

prince regent
    • Total Posts 221

<br>adrian

on my part class dosnt come into the factor

the fact is   sure animals kill each other  that is nature   hunting them down with packs of dogs and whetever other aids used is sport  and that is cruel and  not quite the same

i agree  it is wrong to let wild mink out  they have no natural predator   in our enviroment   but on the other hand  why are the  mink here  ????

just one reason  some oversized womens  vanity and before u jump in about leather leather is a byproduct   ie the pig/cow /sheep  is killed for food  as well.

i have no doubt  that bear baiting cock fighting  etc had their apologists as well  (all of which no doubt appealed  at the time to the same supporters of fox hunting)

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

Raz, I think you missed a valid point made by Rob.  It isn’t just the waste of time in Parliament passing this type of legislation, it is then also the effort and expense involved in policing and implementing its results.  

If all kennels, hunt packs and various societies that are involved in ‘hunting with dogs’ have to be outlawed, this takes a large amount of administration.  The legislation for this is so unwieldy (do you prosecute an old lady whose spaniel catches a rabbit?) means there are many loopholes and the law is ultimately unstable.  

Just because the law has been supposedly passed does not mean the end of the issue – and in the meantime much public service money will be used to enforce a law that is not wanted by the most important people (yes, people, not animals) that it affects.

Are the police (particularly in the poorly serviced rural areas) not better deployed in protecting citizens from crime rather than investigating whether a farmer has used a natural, darwinian method of removing a vermin problem?  

I think the modern world is in danger of disappearing up its own moral backside.

prince regent
    • Total Posts 221

<br>sal,

i am surpised

are you alluding to the fact that the law abiding country alliance  and the tally ho brigade will be breaking the law if they dont have their  own way  i thought from their outporings they were law abiding citizens  and it was their opponents whom had no respect for the law.<br>   <br>    im sure there may be a lot of administration involved in the kennels etc  after hunting is outlawed  but again i feel sure that for a law abiding  group of people  whose only love is for the countryside   it will not be such a problem    that will need  police or other officers of the goverment  to stand over.

re would an  old woman be prosecuted   whose spaniel  caught………….   i think this is a red herring  would she be prosecuted if her spaniel bit the postman    hardly likely   and not really  in the grand scheme of fox killing .

<br>  

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.