The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

al-Zarqawi nailed

Home Forums Lounge al-Zarqawi nailed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

I think this is one snake for whom replication of heads will not prove difficult. I think the ‘war on terror’ will last for many, many years but if, at the very least, todays events reduce the effectiveness of this particular band then they are obviously to be welcomed.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I tend to think that the so called ‘War on Terror’ is mainly hype from the US government. The US public require ‘baddie’ to focus on and a simple ‘them and us’, or the red-necks would want to kill everybody, instead of converting them to Christianity.

The US military have deliberately over sold this person’s control over the insurgency for domestic reasons .. no change, is my prediction.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I think you are probably wrong about things sorting themselves out now, with the removal of one person. As far as I am aware Bin Laden is still on the loose and plotting .. although for some reason he isn’t mentioned in the news so much as he was.

I think a-Z’s influence has mainly been in the west of the country, whereas the bulk of the voilence now is around Baghdad with at least 1,600 killed in May alone.

It seems that violence against Iraqi’s is not viewed as a bigger problem as violence against occupying forces .. !<br>

Interested Academic
    • Total Posts 37

After the PhD on human-animal relations, I’m considering covering war and Iraq in particular. My own limited thoughts centre on a situation that has a certain amount of structural regularity, above and beyond the influence of any one person or group.

Whatever life under Saddam was like, the nation had a fairly strong central authority and a relatively stable social code of conduct, however different it may have been to our own.

Time and again history shows that when such a central authority crumbles away, is severely weakened or is "removed" by force, so the opportunity arises for violence to escalate and for forms of "civilized" human conduct to "regress". Iraq’s infrastructure is shot to pieces amid what seems to be a frightening sectarian cycle of violence. It shows no sign of abating, I agree.

One individual’s influence can be great, Max Weber talked about charismatic leaders and their influence, but this should be tempered in that the development of cycles of violence such as exists in Iraq often have a structure and a regularity of their own; the development of Iraqi society is at the moment beyond any one individual or group’s control, and as such I can only see the violence – not to mention the climate of fear and distrust between all parties – escalating or becoming even more cemented in those areas where there is no strong central authority in evidence.

The removal of Saddam has led to a whole tangle of problems that barely anyone gave thought to in the "rush" to use military and physical force (imo, of course).

(Edited by Interested Academic at 12:55 pm on June 11, 2006)

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Margret Beckett is cock-a-hoop that Saddam is to be murdered shortly, after being tried by a kangeroo court that didn’t meet the criteria laid down by the Geneva Convention.

Why are politicians in this country trying to whip up a sort of phoney hatred towards Saddam, when the only crime he committed against this country was ‘not having weapons of mass destruction?’

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

The plan today was, send Margaret out to field the tricky Saddam/death penalty questions. Margaret doesn’t mind, because that’s her side of the bargain, in return for her over-promotion (rather like her predecessor).

Ed Stourton on R4 did manage to get a couple of blows in. In response to the line that this was a purely Iraqi affair over which we had no influence, he suggested that as the US/Britain had paid for the trial, provided security, sent several legal advisors over and put so much pressure on the first judge that he had resigned, it wasn’t entirely true to say that we had no influence. Mrs Beckett replied that she didn’t accept those observations. Mr Stourton countered by pointing out that they were facts, not observations. Mrs Beckett moved on.

But that was supposed to be that. Then those naughty journalists started asking questions at a press conference (everyone knows that’s not what a press conference is for), namely:

Britain is opposed to the death penalty, so are you opposed to the execution of Saddam?

Mr Blair proceeded to work himself into the mother-of-all huffs and then sent his spokesman out to complain that the journalists were being rude and wouldn’t let Mr Blair speak. Shame.

And by an extraordinary stroke of luck, er I mean, coincidence, in the very week that Saddam is sentenced there just happens to be a little election going on in the US.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

While not wishing to support in any way the appalling crimes Hussein appears to have inflicted on the people of Iraq the ‘trial’ has been a travesty.

Today’s performance by Blair was extremely poor. He was painted into a corner and, in the end, just stopped answering questions as he didn’t have the answers.

Here’s what you said have said Tone (the TRUTH derived from simple logic btw) –

1. This goverment doesn’t condone the death penalty<br>2. Saddam Hussein has been sentenced to death

Therefore – the government, representing the people of the United Kingdom, does not support the sentence given to Saddam Hussein.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Technically speaking, Dave was right. He referred to the only crime he had committed against this country<br>which is a different thing to saying he had not committed crimes against his own people and neighbouring regions.

Anyway, it seems perfectly obvious he was a mass-murdering tyrant. What is more interesting is observing the tangle the Blair government get themselves in over the death penalty issue.

Kevin
    • Total Posts 295

Technically speaking Dave is talking simplistic bo**ocks.

To commit a crime in the UK you have to break its laws. Even Mr Hitler did not break any UK laws.

Saddam’s crimes were against the Iraqi people and the Iraqi legal system, as imperfect as it is, put him on trail and sentenced him.

You could ask the same question about the Death penalty in the US or any other country.

All Blair said was that this government does not condone the death penalty.<br>

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

To commit a crime in the UK you have to break its laws. Even Mr Hitler did not break any UK laws.<br>Kevin Posted on 11:35 pm on Nov. 6, 2006

<br>:laugh: .. coming away with statements like that you’ll be getting offered a job with MI5 ! When Hitler invaded France the British Expeditionary Force was routed to Dunkirk with massive loss of life. Iraq never attacked us, unlike Hitler, we attacked it. The on-going purges and mass killings instigated by Saddam, were no-where near as bloody as Russia’s current campaign in Chechnya and Ingushetia which make Saddam look like a bit on an amateur. Just because it isn’t on the telly doesn’t mean it isn’t happening.

To pretend that Iraq has anything of it’s own, legal system, army, civil service, etc. is risible. Us and the Yanks are running Iraq, not the Iraqis. If Saddam is murdered, our government is responsible for his death.

The current puppet government will all end up murdered or living in Miami within the next ten years and Iraq will be an unstable Islamic Republic.

Kevin
    • Total Posts 295

Well here is me believing that we declared war on Germany because it invaded Poland. Where did I get that from.<br>

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

You watch too much telly .. :biggrin:

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Today’s performance by Blair was extremely poor. He was painted into a corner and, in the end, just stopped answering questions as he didn’t have the answers.

How much money would you have given to have seen a journo stick up his hand and say:

"The British people pay your wages, so you work for them. That means either you give a straight answer to a straight question or you can ****
    off and resign right now, you ****
    ."  

The government have been trotting out their "one less dictator" spin over the last couple of weeks (mainly to stave off a well needed enquiry).

Pity no opposition politician has the gumption to reply "yeah, one less dictator, but one more civil war."

Steve

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Bush has been castrated by the American Public and they have declared that Iraq is a disaster. They are looking to change their policy, which could include a fast withdrawl and bringing Syria and Iran into the equation.

Where does this leave our Masters, when they are telling us that it’s all going swimmingly well ?

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

God only knows Dave. If only our illustrious leader  could bribe some of the Islamic nutters with peerages if they behaved themselves ——– I’m sure he would.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.