Aintree is getting a pounding

Home Forums Horse Racing Aintree is getting a pounding

This topic contains 27 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  carvillshill 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

KendalCavalier
    • Total Posts 337

Having spoken to the Aintree bods the weather has been awful and is set for heavy showers for the next three days and then drizzle thereafter.

We are almost certain to have a soft (be it good to soft, soft, heavy) National and therefore the winner should be that much easier to pick. Philson Run is a MUST for anyone as it seems likely that he is going to sneak in but would be interested to hear everyone’s opinions on the those who will relish getting their toe in. My 230/1 on d’Argent is looking better by the day!!!

rory
    rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2800

I’m on Philson Run at 100 and 66 so any rain is greatly appreciated!

KendalCavalier
    • Total Posts 337

Time to start laying the likes of Cloudy, Bewley’s, Slim Pickings, McKelvey and Point Barrow methinks!

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1421

If the rain keeps on going the way it is then we could have a race like Earth Summit and Red Marauder if the conditions are very soft.

Good thing about Aintree is that it does drain very well and even if it is a quagmire yuo can gurantee that on the Friday those scouse girls will still dress like its a summers day

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2967

I’ve been contemplating backing Chelsea Harbour he won over 3m4f on soft/heavy then they gave him a nice race over 2m5f just to keep him straight I would imagine……this has convinced me to get on he was nibbled at the other day from 25/1 down to 20’s which is still available. Looks like a good EW bet to me.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4724

Bordering on unraceable will do for me. I’m on Simon and a deluge will hopefully will scare a few away from the opening 2m handicap as well.

One Man
    • Total Posts 24

when i was at aintree last yr,one of them scouse girls nicked me mates wallet :lol: best thing about it was i gave him the last three winners is wallet was bulging,im never going to the pub over the road again :wink:

grey dolphin
    grey dolphin
    Participant
    • Total Posts 654

Like Chelsea Harbour in some ways but his jumping has looked sticky on occasion – Troytown Chase if I remember correctly.

Will definitely be backing Philson Run.

vikingflagship
    vikingflagship
    • Total Posts 883

simon :D

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2847

If I had a pound for every year I heard the ground would be heavy at Cheltenham and Aintree and wasn’t….
    It’s a good draining course and I’ll believe it’s soft or heavy when I see it.

WelshWizard1973
    • Total Posts 188

Andrew Tulloch said in Wednesday’s Racing Post that he would be happy with a fair bit more rain as the course is a very quick drying course.

The 5 day Met Office forecast isn’t that bad so I can’t see it being much worse than Good/Soft perfect jumping ground, particularly since they haven’t raced at Aintree since last November.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24662

I usually leave it until the forecast on countryfile (sunday), might even wait until timing the first couple of races on thursday.

value is everything
    rory
    rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2800

Is Aintree such a quick drying course? It certainly gets it’s share of tiring ground compared to Cheltenham.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2967

I’ll never forget Best Mate running there in testing ground is a hurdle race and running on to finish second like he was crying out for further…how they said he wouldn’t get the trip in the Gold Cup I will never know…..not the easy course people think it is when testing…….horses tire very fast there and get behind in soft ground and you’re goosed

carlisle
    carlisle
    • Total Posts 801

Hi mate

can you explain…..

[b:6v02cn8w]goosed?[/b:6v02cn8w]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.