The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Aintree – day two

Home Forums Horse Racing Aintree – day two

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Killaghy Castle interests me. The fact that he hasnt raced on going this quick is a slight concern, but hes always appeared to have a touch of class and has been highly rated by trainer. although not raced over this distance, he won 2m 4f at sandown in the soft, which is a fair enough test

Aces Four will take some beating if reproducing the way he ran at Cheltenham, but he can make mistakes and that was perhaps a hard race too

rest of the card is either tricky or simply interesting ones to watch

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

Think Well Chief at close to evens is a fantastic bet. Although coming from behind is generally not the best way to race at Cheltenham, the small field should ensure he is never too far from the pace, and a similar ride, if not as exaggerated, as Exotic Dancer should work.

I think Witchita Lineman is a great value lay at around 8/11. The more galloping track of Cheltenham would surely suit a horse like this better, and you must fancy him to get done for toe by another.

Lord of illusion (as mentioned on another thread), is well worth another go at his current price (19/1 on Betfair) for all the reasons quoted by others on that particular thread.

I also think Osana is worth keeping the faith with. Purely on a comparison with Ouininpohja, he has a 9 pound pull, and that horse has to be produced almost on the line which makes him extremely hard to be confident about.

Edit:<br>Does anyone think Yes Sir is fantastic value at 33/1 (BF)? He’s got the ground in his favour, and if he can show a repeat of last Summer’s form, surely he must go very close.

(Edited by Salselon at 11:31 am on April 13, 2007)

SirHarryLewisSirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

no bet here for me but i think copsdale lad and Ouininpohja look good.

Its possible tha Dom Ogrival didnt run his race at cheltenham and he might bounce back at a big price.  The bumper for females is not really a betting race but that german bred one of powells ran fantastic on the first day out and im sure wasnt right last time so could go well.<br>

SHL

Blue Shark
    • Total Posts 10

2:00 Aintree JOHN SMITH’S MILDMAY NOVICES’ CHASE GRADE 2 (CLASS 1)<br>A race which for me revolves around Aces Four, who had them all in trouble bar Denman when making that mistake which cost him all but his chance of winning the Royal Sun Alliance Chase at the Festival last time up. He’s been a horse I’ve noted for a while and I’d backed him Each-Way on that occasion, and I was looking on counting my money until he made that bad mistake. Ungaro is dangerous and ran a good race last time out at Cheltenham, and has proved he can race right handed and left handed with equal effect. Turko is another who is dangerous getting weight from all his other rivals, and his success here last time was impressive, however I’m going to stick with Aces Four.<br>Advice: 3pts Win – Aces Four

<br>3:10 AintreeJOHN SMITH’S MELLING CHASE GRADE 1 (CLASS 1)<br>Well Chief is obviously the one to beat on form, but he’s never run over this trip and may well be vulnerable to some of the stouter bred types, such as Monet’s Garden and Taranis. Despite plenty of top two-mile chasers winning this, Well Chief has raw speed and is one of the better horses we’ve seen in years over the minimum trip (potential wise), however I think Monet’s Garden if on song will be able to lower his colours in this race, and he will appreciate the conditions, as will Taranis who keeps on improving with every run.<br>Advice: 1.5pt Win – Monet’s Garden

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I’m going to have a smallish wager on Witchita Lineman and place bets on Le Volfoni and New Alco .. but the sun is shining and I will probably just do a bit of messing around in the garden, instead of watching the races.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Acesfour should win the first, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Taranis turn Well Chief over at this trip.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Not sure if it’s been widely reported but Monet’s Garden apparently bled at Cheltenham last time.

Blue Shark
    • Total Posts 10

Quote: from Blue Shark on 11:30 am on April 13, 2007[br]2:00 Aintree JOHN SMITH’S MILDMAY NOVICES’ CHASE GRADE 2 (CLASS 1)<br>A race which for me revolves around Aces Four, who had them all in trouble bar Denman when making that mistake which cost him all but his chance of winning the Royal Sun Alliance Chase at the Festival last time up. He’s been a horse I’ve noted for a while and I’d backed him Each-Way on that occasion, and I was looking on counting my money until he made that bad mistake. Ungaro is dangerous and ran a good race last time out at Cheltenham, and has proved he can race right handed and left handed with equal effect. Turko is another who is dangerous getting weight from all his other rivals, and his success here last time was impressive, however I’m going to stick with Aces Four.<br>Advice: 3pts Win – Aces Four<br>

<br>Awesome performance, he cant half jump for a small horse. Majestic.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Fantastic performance from Aces Four his jumping was breathtaking apart from at the second. My only bet today.

Blue Shark
    • Total Posts 10

Quote: from Blue Shark on 11:30 am on April 13, 2007[br]2:00 Aintree JOHN SMITH’S MILDMAY NOVICES’ CHASE GRADE 2 (CLASS 1)<br>A race which for me revolves around Aces Four, who had them all in trouble bar Denman when making that mistake which cost him all but his chance of winning the Royal Sun Alliance Chase at the Festival last time up. He’s been a horse I’ve noted for a while and I’d backed him Each-Way on that occasion, and I was looking on counting my money until he made that bad mistake. Ungaro is dangerous and ran a good race last time out at Cheltenham, and has proved he can race right handed and left handed with equal effect. Turko is another who is dangerous getting weight from all his other rivals, and his success here last time was impressive, however I’m going to stick with Aces Four.<br>Advice: 3pts Win – Aces Four

<br>3:10 AintreeJOHN SMITH’S MELLING CHASE GRADE 1 (CLASS 1)<br>Well Chief is obviously the one to beat on form, but he’s never run over this trip and may well be vulnerable to some of the stouter bred types, such as Monet’s Garden and Taranis. Despite plenty of top two-mile chasers winning this, Well Chief has raw speed and is one of the better horses we’ve seen in years over the minimum trip (potential wise), however I think Monet’s Garden if on song will be able to lower his colours in this race, and he will appreciate the conditions, as will Taranis who keeps on improving with every run.<br>Advice: 1.5pt Win – Monet’s Garden<br>

<br>What a fantastic day!!

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Nice one Blue Shark. I’m enjoying this Aintree metting a hell of a lot more than I did Cheltenham. ;)

Disappointing Well Chief today though. Before his Cheltenham appearance everyone assumed after his Newbury win that he was still capable of running to his previous best form. I wasn’t so sure and I’m still not. Timmy Murphy says he didn’t think Well Chief would’ve won at two miles today.

Maybe he’s not quite the horse he was? Time will tell.

Blue Shark
    • Total Posts 10

Thanks Flash. I had it right off last year at Aintree, and am doing so this year aswell – so I have to admit that Aintree has a special place in my heart and I always enjoy it more. ;)

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

Good stuff Blue Shark ;)

(Edited by Gareth Flynn at 3:40 pm on April 13, 2007)

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Well done Blue Shark

Anzum
    • Total Posts 256

Had two bets today, small stakes on Killaghy Castle and e.w on Dunbrody Millar – has paid for tomorrow’s bet!  Couldn’t understand a horse which had been placed twice over the fences, dropped markedly in the handicap and whom Bowen fancied for a big run in the national was 25/1.  From a personal point of view it was nice to act on the advice of others when suggesting its imperative to back the horse you fancy despite odds being high.

(Edited by Anzum at 6:12 pm on April 13, 2007)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.