The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

A year without ATR

Home Forums Horse Racing A year without ATR

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    ricky lake
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2999

Today celebrates a full year of not watching or betting on any of the courses covered by ATR

The results have been startling , yes you dont get to watch any Irish stuff , but its no loss in the long run (ouch )

The plus side is you don’t have to put up with dross or listen to Chapman , et al (Ascot excepted )

try it , you will be surprised how focussed you become , profits will follow for sure

Ricky

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

How strange to ignore more than half the sport you like (except Ascot?) because you don’t like the way the channel presents and stranger still to say it is profitable to do so.

There are equally abysmal tracks and racing and presenting on RUK but presumably you have no problems watching and punting on these – I suppose if ATR disappeared and RUK inherited their courses, you’d be back into them and winning even more?

For a forum of supposed dedicated racing fans there are some weird views on here.

ricky lake
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2999

no sireee , its the dross I have cut out , that makes it profitable

have a good one , its only my view , no need to get into a dither

Ricky

aji
    • Total Posts 469

I like ATR, it’s free :lol:

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

no sireee , its the dross I have cut out , that makes it profitable

have a good one , its only my view , no need to get into a dither

Ricky

No dither, just your implication that all the loss making dross racing was on ATR, maybe you meant to say you have just ignored all loss making dross racing which is shared equally across all channels?

Or perhaps you just meant to say that you don’t like ATR?

nighthorse
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385

Me too! :D

Blessed Martin
    Participant
    • Total Posts 91

Me too! :D

Me three :D

espmadrid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 549

Would be far more sensible to just not watch the "all weather" racing. I haven’t taken any interest in this in years and don’t miss it one bit.

Even without it, there is probably too much racing to keep track of, if you have a life. Luckily I don’t, so manage to keep up with all the proper racing on both channels. :D

....and you've got to look a long way back for anything else.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Since when has ATR been free – do you not have to subscribe to either SKY or Virgin to receive it?

ricky lake
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2999

Exactly Paul ….its connected with a sky sports pack

My point is not about preference of channels , its simply this , Ruk covers the group 1 courses , which supply better racing as a rule than ATR , which covers mostly low grade events , if you stay away from these and just focus on the better racing , your punting will improve , as 1 you have just cut out a big chunk of racing to contend with . 2 you have better racing which will offer less roulette type of opportunities which the bookies love so much

cheers

Ricky

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

The analogy I would use Ricky is RUK is the broadsheet, whilst ATR is the tabloid – even down to having the "token totty"

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

So, what you’re saying Paul is that Nevison is the telegraph to Boyce’s Sun and the ability of female racing presenters is directly proportional to their ugliness?

How many RUK presenters have ridden or worked in the training or stud industry?

ATR is free to anyone with a cable or satellite package, you don’t have to pay extra for a sports pack and they cover all Irish racing exclusively, almost all AW racing and the majority of the rest of British racing including Ascot, quality inernational racing which isn’t shown elsewhere and they have a very good free website – how can anyone with an interest in racing not like that?

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

So, what you’re saying Paul is that Nevison is the telegraph to Boyce’s Sun and the ability of female racing presenters is directly proportional to their ugliness?

If the best you can do is twist what I said then you don’t have much of an argument – in the broadsheet / tabloid comparison I was comparing the entire offering, it’s easy to cite exceptions.

In terms of the female presenters on ATR are you seriously suggesting all of them are knowledgeable about the sport and can offer cogent, independent analysis without reading the Spotlight from the Racing Post?

How many RUK presenters have ridden or worked in the training or stud industry?

Off the top of my head Tom O’Ryan (whose knowledge of the Northern racing scene is unrivalled), Niall Hannity, Lorna Fowler, Angus McNae, Paul Morrison to name a few

ATR is free to anyone with a cable or satellite package,

But it isn’t "free" because you have to subscribe the the cable or satellite package in the first place.

Irish racing exclusively, almost all AW racing and the majority of the rest of British racing including Ascot, quality inernational racing which isn’t shown elsewhere and they have a very good free website – how can anyone with an interest in racing not like that?

It depends if you are interested in foreign (and I include Irish in that category) racing – apart from the Arc meeting I couldn’t care less about foreign racing. If you are interested in foreign racing then fine.

I certainly couldn’t give a toss about all weather racing and as I attend every Ascot meeting anyway I don’t need the ATR coverage.

Which doesn’t actually leave much. So for me, personally, ATR is an irrelevance – especially when you have to endure some of the ego’s who appear on the station.

On a plus point, I agree with your suggestion that Sean Boyce is the class act on ATR but there are always exceptions and I’m not suggesting RUK is perfect, it has many faults but as a rounded package it is, in my view, far superior.

Obviously others, yourself included, hold a contrary view – it doesn’t make either of us right – an opinion is simply an opinion.

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4825

I’m always surprised that Ascot went with ATR. The Royal meeting would have a much more natural home on RUK, imo.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I’m always surprised that Ascot went with ATR. The Royal meeting would have a much more natural home on RUK, imo.

I have little doubt next time the contract comes up for renewal there will be a change.

We are already seeing some smaller courses switching from ATR to RUK

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

I have little doubt next time the contract comes up for renewal there will be a change.

We are already seeing some smaller courses switching from ATR to RUK

And this idea is based solely on a couple of courses switching?

As regards decent female presenters RUK only have Lydia, Lorna Fowler is as bad as it gets. Personally, Lydia and Steve apart, I wouldn’t miss any of the other RUK presenters if they disappeared tomorrow.

Whichever way you look at it RUK costs an additional £20/month and for a considerable period existed purely on live action and replays. ATR has at least tried to fill the spaces.

Perhaps I am alone in thinking it strange that someone in the UK would consider Irish racing as ‘foreign’?

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Perhaps I am alone in thinking it strange that someone in the UK would consider Irish racing as ‘foreign’?

Last time I checked the Irish Republic gained independence from the United Kingdom in the early part of the last century – does that not make it a foreign country?

Granted Downpatrick or Down Royal could be considered British racing but as it is run under Irish jurisdiction that would be a moot point.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.