The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

‘A KINGS RANSOM’

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips ‘A KINGS RANSOM’

Viewing 17 posts - 1,667 through 1,683 (of 2,437 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I sat and watched all of

Darlans

short but memorable career last night with a couple of Brandys.I saw a raw 4yo scraping home at Cheltenham in what was a poor Novice hurdle and yet something about him caught my attention,that was only 14 months ago! He did the same at Taunton winning a poor race again but at least this time the penny was dropping and he hacked round like an Odds-on fav should.Such was the impression he was having on me I decided to go and see him personally down at Newbury,he ran in the Tote Gold trophy a race I still cant believe he was ready for but he would have won had he not taken a shocking fall whilst still cantering over a very good field.I lumped on for the ‘Supreme’,I had seen enough now and marked him down as Banker material,he should have won that too but was never where AP wanted him at any time in the race and AP knows that to this day! I had estimated

Darlan

had improved a good 20lb in the space of just 2 months and its not rocket science to see why I expected the same again in the year up to the 2013 Champion hurdle,having been robbed of victory at Cheltenham ‘Darlan’ sauntered round Aintree beating a natural chaser in ‘Captain Conan’ who’ll run away with the Jewson! JP’s horse was put away after Aintree and I was backing him constantly for the Champion hurdle,I’d seen everything in this horse I needed to.I took every price from 25/1 down to 10/1 and thought that was enough really.’Darlan’ came out at Xmas and won a respected race nicely,it only confirmed the natural improvement I’d expected as the handicapper raised him a further 15lb.Had he won yesterday a further 5lb would have made him a 1lb better horse than last years Champion ‘Rock on ruby’ and I would have been sitting pretty knowing a further 5lb at least would have been there just for the benefit of a run putting him right up there along side ‘The Hurricane’ not that he will win the Champion again anyway.I’m afraid as I line my troops in rows of Battle order ready for Cheltenham,my Major and my Number 1 bet has gone,thats a sickener,2nd in command is my

First Lieutenant

but I still dont know what role he’ll play,next years Champion hurdle winner

My Tent or Yours

will be right up there alongside

Rule the World

.The carpets been pulled from under my feet but we’ll battle on!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

A fav picture of mine of

Darlan

[attachment=0:xfa8ligk]dvq9lv.jpg[/attachment:xfa8ligk]

MoleHorse
    • Total Posts 127

As the first person to spot Darlan as a future champion outside Seven Barrows it comes as no surprise that I was left devastated by the tragic ending of such a promising life.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

As the first person to spot Darlan as a future champion outside Seven Barrows it comes as no surprise that I was left devastated by the tragic ending of such a promising life.

Its not a watering hole I’m familiar with myself,Did you spill your Shandy as he walked past? :lol:
    I was the first to spot him on a Racecourse though Moley! :wink:

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7871

Gord very sad what happend to Darlan he never had a chance to see how good he could of been and will be missed :(

Did you see Defy Logic today me and tommy talking of this horse a few months ago. i think he would win the bumper at festival but after hurdle win today he may go for neptune. now he is best horse in yard as well he be very good over fences too.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Did you see Defy Logic today me and tommy talking of this horse a few months ago. i think he would win the bumper at festival but after hurdle win today he may go for neptune. now he is best horse in yard as well he be very good over fences too.

Well I love his breeding,related to ‘Calg’,he jumps like a stag has the build of a Chaser already and he could get 3m stood on his head today,he’s a high class prospect for sure Darren.However he has one major issue and thats why he’s wearing blinkers,his head carriage is awful,he not only looks like

Tidal Bay

as he is related through the sire but he is without doubt a thinker,be wary be very wary! :wink: If he was mine I’d be tempted with the ‘Neptune’ too!

Participant
    • Total Posts 65

I dont want to dwell on yesterday too much but i’m still pretty downbeat about what happened. Sometimes in this game you take a shining to a particular horse and i really did have a soft spot for this one. Ever since the Taunton race last year (very cheekily) i have religiously followed him and was over the moon to see that you picked him out as a Champion Hurdler! Like your good self i had some useful ante post bets on the lad but thats part of the game i guess. Some lovely photographs too Gord, thanks a lot

OLAS

GDC
    • Total Posts 939

Another horse that will never be forgotten :-)

Think I must have had the last of the 25s to £40 on Houblon des Obeaux last night as he’s been cut to 20s today

• Total Posts 121

Well I love his breeding,related to ‘Calg’,he jumps like a stag has the build of a Chaser already and he could get 3m stood on his head today,he’s a high class prospect for sure Darren.However he has one major issue and thats why he’s wearing blinkers,his head carriage is awful,he not only looks like

Tidal Bay

as he is related through the sire but he is without doubt a thinker,be wary be very wary! :wink: If he was mine I’d be tempted with the ‘Neptune’ too!

He does not run in blinkers!!! Its a hood to calm him down as he can be very buzzy

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Tidal Bay

He does not run in blinkers!!! Its a hood to calm him down as he can be very buzzy

Well they want to stick Blinkers on aswell Darrenm3 as he’ll come a cropper with a head like that,young enough to learn though!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

OLAS,I spoke to Corals this morning about a price for

My Tent or yours

winning next years Champion hurdle after a bit of ‘discussion’ I got 33/1,I’m still waiting on Bet365 to get back to me.A harsh lesson was learned this week but it would have been a damn sight harsher had

Darlan

been jumping the last at Cheltenham.I’ve grieved for my horse and have even spoken to the Henderson family.The only comfort I get from this episode is that Its a great feeling to know that my judgement about a young unexposed horse was spot on,the way he improved really was phenomenal and it gives me great pleasure to have shared that with everyone on here.I typed in the search forum (Darlan TAPK) and (Darlan Kingfisher) to see just what I had written about him this past year and it brought a tear to my eye,every word came true in what was like a fairytale scenario,trouble was it ended like a scene from ‘Nightmare on Elm st’.Grieving is an emotional response to what is generally a physical tragedy,ie Death.Its the time you question yourself,questions like did I say everything I wanted? When you can answer Yes to that one alone it helps the process of recovery.I get accused of Self Gratulatory behaviour but its my way of dealing with things and its helping now,anyway back to my original plan.I hope next years Champion hurdle winner runs on Saturday,wins gets cut into 3/1fav for the ‘Supreme’ an historically targeted race by TAPK and then runs away with it! He then goes 6/1fav for the 2014 Champion hurdle and we wait 365 days again hoping that nothing untoward happens.It takes a special sort to do it,you up for it OLAS?

Participant
    • Total Posts 65

A nice piece Gord. How fitting it would be for

My Tent or Yours

to go on and win the race Darlan looked to be easing home in last year before the first of his heavy falls. Thats what I loved about the horse, the way he dusted him self down and went on to run cracking races at Cheltenham and Aintree.

It certainly appears that Nicky has trained My Tent of Yours in a simialr fashion to Darlan (Betfair —-> Supreme), and to my eye has stacks of improvement up his sleeve. Very similar scope and therefore the answer to your question is, Yes, I’m right up for chancing my hand in next years Champion Hurlde, even this early. As a friendly face to most of these bookmakers i’m sure you’ll find an outragous price, drop us a PM with the best price would you 8)

The World Hurlde is still a right mess and possibly even more so now that Oscar Wiskey could even head down the Champion route at the expense of our fallen hero. Grand Crus and Peddlers both blue accross and board, Bog Warrior entered over fences at the weekend (its been a bad week :cry: ) and no further clues to where Tidal Bay is heading. One that has got me thinking is another old friend of yours, Celestial Halo (mentioned in the World Hurdle thread). How fitting would it be for this fella to run a big race in the absence of the champ this year, 50/1 is value alright!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I’m sure you’ll find an outragous price, drop us a PM with the best price would you 8)

Oh dear I may have put my foot in it! I’ve been waiting for a reply from Bet365 since 10am this morning regarding a price on

My Tent or Yours

for next years Champion hurdle and having spoken to them earlier I’m told they will e-mail me with a price before the days out,I’m not very patient when it comes to striking bets and I told them cheekily the Clocks tickin,well there is only 398 days to go.Anyway I get an e-mail tonight at 7.50pm telling me "Having reviewed your account we can offer you 25/1".Thats not generous tonight but after Saturday it will be so I’ll sleep on it! I’m working on William Hills tomorrow so will let you know then!
    As for my old pal

Celestial Halo

in the World hurdle, I agree that 50/1 is big but he’ll need a run soon,that horse epitomises my loyalty card approach as he cost me a bundle form The winter of 2009 through to the spring of 2011,I kept the faith one miserable day at Newbury though when his class won the day at the unbelievable price of 14/1! If the World hurdle was run tomorrow on good ground I’d be all over ‘Oscar Whiskey’ on soft it would be

Tidal Bay

,I’m still not committing myself yet! :roll:

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7871

Gord i thought you go for REVE DE SIVOLA in world hurdle i know that a horse you like.

Also i see you talking of 2014 festival with MY TENT OR YOURS for champion hurdle.I got a few horses below for 2014 as well any thoughts on them.

BLOOD COTIL i think this is a champion hurdle horse he got lots of class and so far he been a slick jumper too no idea why stablemate
    DIAKALI is above him in triumph hurdle betting. i think he is grade one winning hurdle horse.

Also there are a trio of novice chasers at Giggistown house stud for next year they are ROAD TO RICHES,UN ATOUT and RULE THE WORLD. they could get to the same level as horses like SDC,First Lieutenant and Last Instalement like they did in novice chase season.

Also got PONTE ALEXANDRE and THE NEW ONE who is getting rave reviews at Twiston Davies yard.Both will make there mark in chasing too

And lastly gord i know you won’t have a intrest in terms of betting on them but any thoughts on the graded races in ireland

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

BLOOD COTIL i think this is a champion hurdle horse he got lots of class and so far he been a slick jumper too no idea why stablemate
    DIAKALI is above him in triumph hurdle betting. i think he is grade one winning hurdle horse.

Diakali looked very very good to me and is the one I’d like to be one Darren! Should be a good race between Bloodt Cotil and Our Conor on Saturday.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Gord i thought you go for REVE DE SIVOLA in world hurdle i know that a horse you like.

:wink:

Also i see you talking of 2014 festival with MY TENT OR YOURS for champion hurdle.I got a few horses below for 2014 as well any thoughts on them.

Also there are a trio of novice chasers at Giggistown house stud for next year they are ROAD TO RICHES,UN ATOUT and RULE THE WORLD. they could get to the same level as horses like SDC,First Lieutenant and Last Instalement like they did in novice chase season.

Also got PONTE ALEXANDRE and THE NEW ONE who is getting rave reviews at Twiston Davies yard.Both will make there mark in chasing too

And lastly gord i know you won’t have a intrest in terms of betting on them but any thoughts on the graded races in ireland

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

There’s still a bit of 4/1 available but I have taken all thats left with the Tote this morning now that

My Tent or Yours

is declared to run in the Betfair hurdle and can only hope he makes amends for his old stablemates demise in last years race,I’m not so worried about the ground for this fellow its the amount of energy he burns up pulling,I hope a decent gallop enables AP to settle him and he shows his true Potential,not the performance he showed the last time he visited Newbury!

My Tent or Yours

£200 e/w 4/1 Tote, Betfair hurdle Newbury.

£12133

Viewing 17 posts - 1,667 through 1,683 (of 2,437 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.