The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

‘A KINGS RANSOM’

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips ‘A KINGS RANSOM’

Viewing 17 posts - 1,650 through 1,666 (of 2,437 total)
  • Author
    GDC
    • Total Posts 939

Pires hates that ground, what Hcap chase will he turn up for?

Hopefully not the Grand Annual

GDC
    • Total Posts 939

Mid week bets are extremely rare for this call sign and Monday bets are unheard of unless preceded by the words ‘bank holiday’ :-)

However tomorrow at Donny in the 435 I can assure you one will get backed heavily and be ridden for a place at least, CD winner from a shrewd trainer Share Option carries a few shekels of mine in hope rather than confidence ;-)

GDC
    • Total Posts 939

Gord: NH Chase – I know you like HoulOn des Obeaux but what about one of twisters in Hunters Lodge? Has good form and at 40s looks worth taking a chance on, Rich is this his target?

Cheers both of you

• Total Posts 1217

I don’t know for certain GDC, but I would expect Hunters Lodge to go for the National Hunt Chase – I agree that 40/1 is a big price for a horse with decent course form. Stays 3 miles so 4 miles may not be an issue, I don’t know too much about his breeding (sire is Subtle Power whom Lie Forrit is by, who stays 3 miles also), so we’ll have to wait and see. Ground shouldn’t be a worry though (won on good ground).

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Gord: what about one of twisters in Hunters Lodge? Has good form and at 40s looks worth taking a chance on, Rich is this his target?

Cheers both of you

Hunters Lodge

was expected to win at Cheltenham back in October Gary having won his previous 2,on paper you’d be dissapointed with that run finshing 3rd to an old plodder in ‘Swing Bill’ getting a stone but what your horse wants more than anything is an extreme trip,he’ll get that at the festival but still wont be good enough to beat another horse who will also benefit from a step up in trip in

Houblon des Obeaux

!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Its days like today that seperates those who put their money where their mouth is because they feel passionately about a horse and dont care who’s listening and those who do care who’s listening,keep their pennies in a Piggy bank and whisper haha told you so when it gets beat.I of course am the former,I’ll go into battle with over £500 worth of Ante-Post vouchers riding on

Darlan

today at 20/1 down,I’ve got £200 on the machine at prices from 26’s down, so to say I’m a little nervous is an understatement because if he doesn’t at least get alongside last years Champion on the run-in I may as well let the bloody wind blow them over the course.I know my fellow wont be 100% today but neither will ‘Rock on Ruby’……..Does that mean we should bet on ‘Countrywide Flame’at 7/1 then Ginge? Its a tricky little contest but one that will either make or break my long term opinion of

Darlan

……..Clocks a tickin!

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

Its days like today that seperates those who put their money where their mouth is because they feel passionately about a horse and dont care who’s listening and those who do care who’s listening,keep their pennies in a Piggy bank and whisper haha told you so when it gets beat.I of course am the former,I’ll go into battle with over £500 worth of Ante-Post vouchers riding on

Darlan

today at 20/1 down,I’ve got £200 on the machine at prices from 26’s down, so to say I’m a little nervous is an understatement because if he doesn’t at least get alongside last years Champion on the run-in I may as well let the bloody wind blow them over the course.I know my fellow wont be 100% today but neither will ‘Rock on Ruby’……..Does that mean we should bet on ‘Countrywide Flame’at 7/1 then Ginge? Its a tricky little contest but one that will either make or break my long term opinion of

Darlan

……..Clocks a tickin!

"Tricky" is right Gord.
    Countrywide Flame is flattered by Newcastle Gord, 7/1 was (imo) no more than fair (gone now).

IF

they go a good pace I’d say Rock On Ruby would be the "value" today @ 2/1. But I am probably not going to play.

Trouble is: What is the pace going to be? In these Cheltenham trials connections have an eye on the big race; they don’t want a hard race because it may hinder their preparation for March. Therefore, even connections of Countrywide Flame and Rock On Ruby will not necessarily want a strong pace today…

Yes, Darlan should be favourite today, due to potential improvement and turn of foot for a race like this; rather than "form". On form he needs to improve today

IF

Rock On Ruby runs to his Champion Hurdle form.

May be the best way to bet is on exchanges, after the first 200 yards when having a pretty good idea of pace. However, the odds will have changed once that is known too.

Hopefully it will be a slow pace and our Darlan wins, Rock On Ruby goes out to a good price for the Big One. Don’t write off Harry Fry’s charge even if he’s beaten today. Conversely,

IF

it is a good pace and Darlan gets beaten a couple of lengths by ROR, then it is probably an improvement in form by the Henderson horse. So with yet more improvement likely at Cheltenham could still win there.

PACE

is EVERYTHING today.
    Well almost.
    Which way is the wind blowing? If it is in their faces up the straight it will suit those coming from the back. If behind them it’ll favour front runners.

All imo of course. :wink:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

Xxxx!

Looks as though Darlan is no more.

So sad. Was without doubt going to prove himself Top Class there.
    Commiserations to connections.

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 28

I’m rarely speechless but that was horrible!!

• Total Posts 1217

I didn’t see the race, shocking news, connections must be gutted – any ante-post bets go out the window when sad things like this happen, a very dark day for racing especially as a potential superstar gets fatally injured…

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

Your horse didn’t deserve that……… :(

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Just read the news. Shocking. Awful. Gutted for all concerned.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

GDC
    • Total Posts 939

Bloody dreadful news for anyone but McManus and Hales really do have very bad luck :-)

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Its a tricky little contest but one that will either make or break my long term opinion of

Darlan

……..Clocks a tickin!

Tickin like a Time Bomb! I organised my day around

Darlan

today thats how much I rated him.My opinion will always be that he was a Champion hurdler in the making.For whatever reason I decided to plant myself down at the 2nd last today,I thought about sitting at the last but thankfully never did.The wind blowing straight down the course was horrendous and nearly took me off my feet on several occassions,I had visions of the meeting being called off,I wish now it had! I nearly wrote on here last night that the build up to Cheltenham was going particularly smooth from my Ante-Post perspective and then this! I watched the race through my Binoculars and heard the commentary clearly as the wind blew it straight at us,all was going perfectly.I picked the field up rounding the home turn,AP sitting motionless like only AP can,its always a good sign,I picked them up approaching the 3rd last through the lens of my camera and fired away,as they came to the 2nd last I again watched through the lens,again sitting pretty AP just let him roll on.I put the camera down,picked up the Binoculars and watched him approach the last,AP definitely pulled him out to make his challenge then Crash!I thought to myself thats just another Tote Gold Trophy scenario and he’ll get up! Without doubt he’d have won and gone 11/4fav for the big one,he’d have won that too so from a confidence point of view,mine is still sky high,its just a shame from a financial one I’ve been robbed of potentially £7k.Gutted as I am,thankfully it wasn’t Cheltenham!
    R.I.P

Darlan

you did me proud,I hope the Eulogies from connections reflect just how good he could have been.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

AP going to the last still on the bridle against a Champion hurdle Winner! :(

[attachment=0:37fjv84i]2mzax4z.jpg[/attachment:37fjv84i]

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

A visibly shaken AP stood himself down,he loved that horse too!

[attachment=0:nz78x28h]25sqwbb_th.jpg[/attachment:nz78x28h]

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

On what was a beautiful sunny but hellishly windy day today at Doncaster,the weather turned when a great big black cloud loomed overhead at the start of the Big race,it subsequently P*ssed it down as the horses circled at the start,the race finished with a big black bloody cloud too!

[attachment=0:3chx29px]11vhbut.jpg[/attachment:3chx29px]

Viewing 17 posts - 1,650 through 1,666 (of 2,437 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.