The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

‘A KINGS RANSOM’

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips ‘A KINGS RANSOM’

Viewing 17 posts - 1,633 through 1,649 (of 2,437 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

"Jonibake":19wcs83r wrote:

Looked more like the second threw it away Rich. CC has plenty of questions to answer after that. Never travelled.

Joni

Captain Conan

is still only a 6yo horse with a mere 10 runs under his belt,3 of which are Grade 1 wins,you only need to look at him to see he’s still as Green as a Pea, still physically weak for a Chaser but he’ll be a force to be reckoned with in the next couple of years.What we saw today was a horse who needed that,but as is often the case Class will prevail,if ‘Third Intention’ turns up for the ‘Jewson’ he wont see which way ‘The Captain’ went because he’ll improve a ton for todays exertions. Interestingly Ladbrokes notorious for pushing one out for the slightest mistake have stayed solid at 4/1 so they too feel there’s plenty to come.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

May be the horse to take out of this race in respect of Festival value is the third – Houblon – for the NH Chase?

Funny you should say that Ginge as I was only telling a very close colleague of ours earlier in the week that

Houblon des Obeaux

was my idea of the National Hunt chase winner! :D

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

"The Ante-Post King":2ywecpc5 wrote:

Looked more like the second threw it away Rich. CC has plenty of questions to answer after that. Never travelled.

Captain Conan

is still only a 6yo horse with a mere 10 runs under his belt,3 of which are Grade 1 wins,you only need to look at him to see he’s still as Green as a Pea, still physically weak for a Chaser but he’ll be a force to be reckoned with in the next couple of years.What we saw today was a horse who needed that,but as is often the case Class will prevail,if ‘Third Intention’ turns up for the ‘Jewson’ he wont see which way ‘The Captain’ went because he’ll improve a ton for todays exertions. Interestingly Ladbrokes notorious for pushing one out for the slightest mistake have stayed solid at 4/1 so they too feel there’s plenty to come.

So what? He doesnt get a head start just because he is 6 Gord. He may well be a better horse in the next couple of years but that won’t help him in 6 weeks.

Trainer said he really needed it so perhaps we will see a different horse in March but I’ll tell you one thing – the horse that turned up yesterday will not win at Cheltenham.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

• Total Posts 1217

I can see your point Joni, but you want a horse to save his best for the festival. CC did look a bit flat yesterday, the ground probably didn’t help, and I doubt he’d have won if Geraghty wasn’t in the saddle, was another masterful ride. That said the horse needs to be given some credit and he never gave up, even if TI tightened up in the last few strides. Judging from his performances earlier in the season, particularly at Cheltenham, he’s definitely the one to beat in thevJewson.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Trainer said he really needed it so perhaps we will see a different horse in March but I’ll tell you one thing – the horse that turned up yesterday will not win at Cheltenham.

The horse that turned up yesterday will win at Cheltenham,we’ll just see a more polished perfomance.Nicky Henderson is an absolute master at knowing just how fit his horses are and ‘The Captain’may well have needed his ‘shiny bits’ given a touch more Brasso but that would have been intentional,all this "We’ll see today if he’s an ‘Arkle’ or a ‘Jewson’" type is all smokescreen we’re used to it,you dont think a horse who was freely available at 10/1 and backed down to 4/1 fav over the past 6 months is still being tested now for his seasons target.No Joni you only have to look at the day

Simonsig

got beat by ‘Fingal Bay’ that taking form literally will cost you,its all about the bigger picture,interestingly enough ‘Simonsig’ went out to 16’s on the machine for the ‘Neptune’ after that! :wink: I remember Nicky running

Remittance Man

one day in a decent race at Huntingdon,he was 1/5fav and was far from visually impressive in fact he was as fat as a Pig but his class won the day.Anyway I’m off to Doncaster tomorrow to see which

Darlan

turns up! :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

I hope you’re watching Punchestown today Gord, as well as a live Supreme Novice hope we’ll see the Pertemps Final winner :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I hope you’re watching Punchestown today Gord, as well as a live Supreme Novice hope we’ll see the Pertemps Final winner :wink:

Well

Don Cossack

would be the only ‘Novice’ hurdler I’d be interested in today Tommy.As for the Pertemps final itself

Royal Reveille

needs to run an eyecatcher today to be a player…….Not ‘Colbert Station’ surely? :shock:

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

The Don could still be special but Ned Buntline is the one I like. No bet today on that ground but when he gets it quicker he could be good imo.

As for the Pertemps, I’m surprised you haven’t picked up on this one :idea:

Another mid div finish will do nicely, I very much doubt he’ll be winning today, just like last year! All shall be revealed in an hour or so :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

An ideal prep run from

Catch Me

:)

GDC
    • Total Posts 939

And……..?

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

An ideal prep run from

Catch Me

:)

^ This GDC.

I really fancy him for the Pertemps, he ran a cracker last year and has had an identical prep this season. Big chance imo.

GDC
    • Total Posts 939

Sorry my and was there before your reply! I too missed that from last season but 11 years old? Good luck

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Stranger things have happened. :P

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

The Don could still be special but Ned Buntline is the one I like. No bet today on that ground but when he gets it quicker he could be good imo.

As for the Pertemps, I’m surprised you haven’t picked up on this one :idea:

Another mid div finish will do nicely, I very much doubt he’ll be winning today, just like last year! All shall be revealed in an hour or so :)

Nah he’s 11yo now Tommy! Sandwiched between 2 of my main Cheltenham Players certainly looks good form mind! Bloody 25/1 winner of the first for Gigginstown,Russell, and The Mouse and I’m kicking myself! :twisted:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I missed your post too Tommy……..We got there in the end though! :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

We’ll see gentlemen :)

I don’t think many saw that coming Gord, I thought Russell won the race with his move turning in, got first run on McCoy.

How about

Alderwood

in the race after the X Country, could be one for a Cheltenham handicap :?:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

How about

Alderwood

in the race after the X Country, could be one for a Cheltenham handicap :?:

Something not right about

Alderwood

that not even the Official Handicapper can get right Tommy.I remember him winning the County hurdle last year,fair enough but to go and beat a ‘Supreme’ nov hurdler like

Trifolium

in the Grade 1 Champion Nov hurdle at Punchestown a month later beggars belief,what is even stranger is he wins both races with an official mark of only 4lb difference after winning another race in between! :shock: I’m amazed AP’s not on him today though!

Viewing 17 posts - 1,633 through 1,649 (of 2,437 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.