The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2021 Commonwealth Cup

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot Archive Royal Ascot 2021 2021 Commonwealth Cup

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8937

This was a tough call. Personally I think there was just enough doubt to let the result stand but I do not think the decision taken by the stewards is unreasonable. Bad luck for connections of Dragon Symbol but that is the way it goes sometimes.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7768

If there’s doubt then leave the result alone. Give Murphy a few days off for any careless riding witnessed.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

I disagree tbh Mike

It should be on the horse that interfered to prove it would definitely have won

Not the horse that got impeded

Thats what iv always felt

I think they should get rid of the first past the post concession and throw way more horses out

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

No chance media darling and friend of the establishment L. Dettori gets thrown out if roles were reversed.

BUY THE SUN

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7872

That stewards enquiry was murder very happy result got changed 25/1 ante post winner for my thread to

And feel for Archie Watson never really wanna win like that

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7768

Ff91 even Frankie said Oisin was on the best horse Oisin just said.
    Enough said. Its going to split opinion in the racing world i expect. And as you backed Campanella its normal for you to disagree lol

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

That don’t really matter imo Mike

Hes dragged her across the track and bumped once badly then a couple of minor ones

Had Campanelle been allowed to keep to her true line she wins as it was on the head Bob and she will have lost way more than a head being bumped and carted across ascot

Iv always been in favour of chucking them out though, letting results stand just encourages bad dangerous race riding

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7768

I’ve seen the same thing happen elsewhere and the result not get reversed. So why change it here?
    Needs sorting out its a mess.
    Under the current rules, I hope they appeal and win.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

The issue there is the other results not this one though

The stewarding in this country is terrible and inconsistent

Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

On the balance of probability thought it was the correct decision. There never will be consistency without centralised stewarding.
    Thought Kevin Blake was wide of the mark when he suggested that the World Pool was a factor in the decision making and that it could easily be reversed on appeal.
    Think there is very little chance of it being reversed.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8937

I agree with the comment that by and large we have been too lenient to the first past the post in recent years. So I suppose I ought to support the stewards for changing the result.

However, it looked to me like Dettori’s horse got in front despite the interference but then Murphy’s horse rallied and got back up. Difficult to say which was the best horse.

As I said, it was a difficult one. The stewards were never going to please everyone and I would not be too critical about the decision they reached.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7768

Cork you typed those important words… “Difficult to say which was the best horse.”

If there is doubt it shouldn’t be changed the way rules are atm. :yes:

And yes you’re quite right it was still game on in the last furlong and Murphy’s horse was stronger at the line.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8937

Yes Mike, as I said earlier if I was asked to make the decision I would have erred on the side of letting the result stand. However, it was a marginal call and I can understand the reasoning of the stewards. I do not think their decision was unreasonable or perverse and I doubt it would be amended on appeal.

The betting on the exchanges was always close. Dettori was never shorter than 1.5 and Murphy was generally around 2.7 but shortened to around 2.14 at one point. It was a close call and I suppose the stewards were never going to please everyone.

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

The stewards certainly like pleasing Dettori. Think they are star struck or something. Maybe he supplies their Charlie.

BUY THE SUN

Oscar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 145

I’ve got to say I was screaming in frustration at Murphy for failing to switch his whip earlier, but then having backed Campanelle on the exchanges to get the decision reversed and cover my stake, I was delighted when Bet 365 actually paid out on Dragon Symbol anyway, on their two-way winner rule! I actually won more by my horse being relegated! :wacko:

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

Most bookies pay first past the post oscar

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1034

I’m still slightly bemused this got reversed, I mean I can see why it did there’s no doubting the 2nd was impeded but at the same time you see worse every day of the week get unaltered and I’m quite strongly of the opinion if this was a novice stakes on a Friday afternoon at say Thirsk it wouldn’t have got altered. The fact its a group 1 with an international audience and the 2nd horse happened to be trained by an international trainer, I think it was more about painting a picture to the international audience that we adhere to some form of rules when the reality is 95% of the time we don’t and just let the 1st past the post keep the race. Fair play to Oisin Murphy for being professional about it and not letting it affect the rest of his rides, a great example of how a champion jockey should behave.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.