The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2019 Ryanair

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 14957

Really like this race, but always a bit of a challenge trying to pinpoint one who’s sure to go, but got a few on my list……..

The Storyteller
    Definitely my #1 at the moment. More used to Handicap Company, and there was plenty to like about the way he did it in The Plate, so we’ll at least know he operates well round there. Slightly disappointing at Fairyhouse next time, but as much as he was handed The Growise Novices on a plate, I thought he was running very well anyway. Should be an interesting runner at Down Royal in a fortnight, and I think all roads could lead here, and he’s a big price. 25’s

Shattered Love
    One of many who could head here for the sponsors, and though she disappointed after her win in The JLT, she just looks a very fair price right now. Another we could see in a fortnight. 16’s

Politologue
    Enjoyed a fine time of it last season, and I think that he is tailor made for this, and there must be a good chance he heads here. Big price right now. 20’s

Bachasson
    The only one of Mullins I’ll mention, as it’s hard enough planning one of them. I’m a huge fan of this horse. I actually want him to have a proper crack at The Gold Cup this season, as I thought he was a bit of an afterthought last year, when he ended up falling at the second. Mullins pack will obviously require a fair bit of shuffling, and I have a feeling this is where he’ll head, regardless of Un De Sceaux, who’s in the same ownership. A very underrated horse. Not quoted

Kemboy
    Ok, one more Mullins horse. A slow burner this boy, but I think he could be a real dark horse this year. Lots to like about his Punchestown win, and this don’t look beyond him. Could easily go 3 miles plus though as well. 33’s

Monalee
    There was a fair amount of discussion about The RSA being the wrong choice last year, many felt it should have been JLT, but I thought he acquitted himself really well, behind a seriously impressive winner. I don’t think he’d be a forlorn hope in The Gold Cup, but crucially, I think the trainer, reading between the lines, regrets not going JLT, and this could sway them towards here. I’ve liked this horse since Day 1, and a player wherever he heads. Assuming of course that they’re working on that jumping. 16’s

Waiting Patiently
    One of the most exciting chasers last year, the decision to bypass Cheltenham was baffling. Hopefully none the worse for his subsequent setback. As well as being a tad ground dependant, a good run in The King George, should he head there, would see him come into The Gold Cup picture, so he comes with big risks at current price. Serious prospect though, and fingers crossed he comes back. 14’s

That’ll do me for now, but with one eye on Bachasson, and with no money down yet, my main fancy for now…..

The Storyteller 25’s

Cheltenham Novice Chase
    Participant
    • Total Posts 303

It may not be particularly original but I think Balko Des Flos has a great chance of back-to-backs wins here. He put in what, for me, was one of the performances of the festival in 2018 comfortably beating Un De Sceaux. He’s not too old and seemed to handle the softish ground and we know he handles good ground.

I think we might also see one of Footpad, Min or Douvan turning up here. My suspicion is they will keep Douvan to 2m but Footpad I can see going up in distance as can I with Min.

Willoughby Court would be another I fancy but he would really have to improve his jumping to win this.

I agree with your comments with respect to Monalee

Balko Des Flos 10-1

• Total Posts 14957

The other one I meant to mention was Ballyoisin. Easily dealt with Woodland Opera, who came out and won well the other day.

I think Ballyoisin is value at 33’s.

Participant
    • Total Posts 722

Can’t see Min stepping up; he’s way too keen. Ya saw what happened last Xmas; if the pace is slow he doesn’t settle. He nearly pulled Townend’s shoulders out of their socket. I would say Min will be a 2 miler; no doubt. Mullins will know who the best horse in between Great Field, Douvan and Footpad; whoever he feels is not gonna be his best 2 miler in that group will likely end up here; most likely Douvan, I’d say.

Participant
    • Total Posts 626

Monalee would be the one I’m most interested in just now.

I would also like to see Disko bounce back this season, but if he did he could easily head for The Gold Cup as well.

Participant
    • Total Posts 893

Monalee looks to me like 2m5f would be perfect but I fear connections will think he is classy enough to take his chance in Gold Cup

Providing he comes back well Disko is one of the horses I am most excited by. He has definite room for improvement, jumps accurately, goes on most ground and has solid grade 1 form. Already taken 76’s in the GC and 46’s here. Just hope he comes back after fracturing his skull/

Participant
    • Total Posts 6137

After today maybe FRODON should be on the shortlist!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 893

It was a good performance from Frodon, but needs to perform in grade 1 company before making my shortlist for this. There are so many classier animals that could end up in the Ryanair which makes 20/1 at this stage not very appealing at all

Participant
    • Total Posts 2711

Douvan confirmed as out for the season now.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1992

I think Politologue is the most talented 2m 4f chaser (especially since Footpad can’t be classed as one yet), but round Cheltenham? No thank you. Love the horse but every Cheltenham run has been either atrocious or disappointing (perhaps I was expecting too much in the Champion Chase). Footpad is 8/1 with Coral. I’ll be taking that sooner rather than later. Think this is the most logical target for him when factoring in Mullins’ desire to make this horse a 3 miler. Would be a tough ask to go for a Gold Cup in his 1st season at the distance so this would act as a good compromise. Hopefully, this should allow Sceau Royal to take his chance in the Champion Chase (even if he’s tended to do better at other tracks).

Another Mullins horse to consider, if still in training, is Black Hercules. Haven’t heard anything about this horse since Genghis Khan was still knocking about. Hopefully he returns and retains his ability. Slim chance of that admittedly, but I’d love to see him back on a racecourse. Don’t understand why Disko isn’t in the betting for this. Meade has said he could be ready to run before Christmas.

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1202

Black Hercules would be an interesting one for this or gold cup. It’s a pity every stable tour focuses on getting the same old info about the same small few horses instead of trying to find out a bit about a few that have been absent for a while. Bamako moriviere is another

Participant
    • Total Posts 423

Black hercules is back in training and jumping very nicely in schooling

Participant
    • Total Posts 6137

Another good run from FRODON carrying lumps against handicappers. Ryanair looks a seious option now surely!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 6137

Another question from me !!

Why is ALTIOR priced up at Evens for this ??

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7262

Because b365 have gone NRNB.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1332

Appears Henry has finally realised Monalee doesn’t stay 3m and talk is now of them heading here. I’m on already but depending on where he rocks up next i think i’ll go in again. He was very good in the Lexus, just doesn’t quite have the stamina the last couple of furlongs.

Other one that ran quite well but not sure on his path was Coney Island. Was coming into the race when he made a mistake at the last and think this race could suit him, but need to see him out again first etc.

buckers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 719

Coney Island for me Kev at 33-1 nrnb. I’ll also bet Fox Norton at 12-1 nrnb.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.