2017 King George V Stakes

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2017 2017 King George V Stakes

This topic contains 27 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Middle_Of_March Middle_Of_March 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15287

I was happy enough with the way Homesman won last time, and I don’t think there was any shame in going down to Irishcorrespondent the time before that. I’d be very surprised if he isn’t in the 5, so 12’s looks fair to me, and I’ve topped up win only at 14’s.

raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4322

Blimey Bobby are we just going to back all the same horses!!!
    I too am on Homesman at 14/1 but have also backed First Nation at the same price!!

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2959

Yep, on Homesman @ 14’s also. :good:

LostSoldier3
    LostSoldier3
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1820

I’m really really sweet on Utah here.

I think he’ll win this, win the Ebor, run well in the Leger and run in the Melbourne Cup. I’m not worried about Ryan Moore ‘choosing’ Homesman because that horse takes plenty of knowing and Seamie Heffernan is Utah’s regular rider.

Utah has a pedigree absolutely laden with stamina. He had a solid career at two despite blatantly needing a trip even at that stage of his development. He is off 96 today, despite managing a staying-on 2nd in a red hot 2yo handicap over a sharp mile. He was then only beaten 12 lengths in the Lagardere (just 7 behind Whitecliffsofdover) despite being unsuited by the distance and the pace of the race.

He was handled with kid gloves behind Homesman on his first start this year. This feels like a mega plot for a yard who love to have a live one in the Ebor, Melbourne Cup etc. It looks so golden for him to win this off 96, creep into the Ebor off 104ish and nurdle into the Melbourne Cup somewhere around 115. I’m bullish about this one.

LostSoldier3
    LostSoldier3
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1820

Sorry for double post but another thing that gives me confidence is the prep Utah has had this season.

Unlike Ballydoyle deadwood like Finn McCool and The Anvil, Utah has been nobody’s pacemaker in the Derby trials or the Classics. Just a quiet prep in a backwater handicap then bam – he’s in on the big day rated 96. This feels like an uber plot to me – must have been the plan all along.

thejudge1
    thejudge1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2254

mirage dancer for me.

thejudge1
    thejudge1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2254

Ok wrong race lol

shows the amount of research i do… unoriginal I guess by ATTY PERSSE stands out here :good:

Middle_Of_March
    Middle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2441

My first (and probably only) favourite in a handicap this week: Atty Persse.

Group horse in a handicap

Chivers1987
    Chivers1987
    Participant
    • Total Posts 842

I like your confidence on Utah LostSoldier. I’ve had a small dabble as I think there is bundles of improvement to be had over this distance.

This is the hardest day so far this week at Ascot. Small stakes selections all round.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8281

A tough race, the first two in the betting are criminally short.

I was having a look at Good Omen. His trip to Meydan didn’t work out but he has found the winning thread and showed some early promise last year. He has a highish draw though and Simcock just landed the previous race, so what odds a double at a meeting like this. Oh well, I can’t leave him at 20/1 for a sporting shot.

Good Omen 20/1

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

Sofia’s Rock and Tartini for me here. At the prices, Oasis Charm seemed overlooked at 40/1.

Twice Over
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 179

And Frankel finally gets a winner @ascot

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8281

Nice win for one time Derby hope Atty Persse. Good Omen was almost stone last and tried to come late but there was far too much to do from the rear. He stayed on into mid-field without having too hard a time. I may give him another chance.

Too short for me at 7/1 but well done anyone who nabbed the Charlton horse. A boost of sorts to Frankel but I doubt they had handicaps in mind at the start. He could make his name in better class with time though, this was a good performance.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4322

My first (and probably only) favourite in a handicap this week: Atty Persse.

Group horse in a handicap

SPOT ON MOM WELL DONE !!!! :good: :good:

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25883

Nice to see the horse doing justice to the Stockbridge Champion trainer Atty Persse. :good:

value is everything
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.