The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Lexus 2015

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Lexus 2015

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 14971

Doesn’t look the hottest renewal, and wasn’t even considering a bet in it, but I’ve threw a few quid at Carlingford Lough at 14’s. I thought Gilgamboa had a strong chance in this, based on his run in The John Durkan, and might be reading too much into it, but thought it interesting that JP sends Carlingford instead. Won The Hennessy here, so if I can forgive him his flop at Cheltenham, then he’s worth a go. Few quid each way won’t hurt too much.

THM mentioned a couple of weeks back that Mullins had never won this, so although I’m a big fan of Don Poli, and he looks impossible to rule out for The Gold Cup, I just wonder, given that Mullins record, that he, and his other runners might be worth taking on………….cue a Mullins 1,2,3 :whistle:

Participant
    • Total Posts 13201

Good luck with CARLINGFORD LOUGH Bobby, ten minutes to go and I see
    his odds have shortened from 14s to 9s. It might be because JP and
    Geraghty are having a good day, but looks like a bit of a gamble.

It’s hard to see beyond DON POLI, but I’m like you, I’m not into
    4/7 shots. I took a little interest at 11/1, just for the hell of
    it.

Fingers crossed :good:

Participant
    • Total Posts 13201

Oh well :whistle:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2028

Not impressed by Don Poli; keeps winning, but the placed horses are very exposed + well behind GC standard. His jumping was very good tho

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

Don Poli is not a gold cup horse on the basis of that

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Judging by the reaction to the end of the King George race
    I wonder if we will hear that Don Poli is a non stayer considering the runner up another one paced plodder was making ground hand over fist?

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

DP looks as though he’s becoming more lazy with each race, but he has plenty talent. Cooper’s main problem for the GC will be timing his run. DP will idle in front, so I don’t envy the jockey his task, but I’d say the horse has considerably more ability than he’s showing.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

I wonder if we will hear that Don Poli is a non stayer considering the runner up another one paced plodder was making ground hand over fist?

Don Poli stays all day. As Joe says he’s lazy, but genuine – finds plenty for presure. FL looked as though he was goming through to win, DP fighting back as soon as the runnuer-up loomed (where as Vautour had nothing more to give in the final 50 yards). However, most horses can out-fight First Lieutenant (professional loser) and a Grade 1 in name only. Foxrock seemingly back to his best in first time blinkers, but both he and On His Own were given enough rope by the rest in (what looks by Racing Post Standard Times in comparrson to Leoprdstown’s other races today) a slowly run affair. Don Poli isn’t going to be impressive against anyone, particularly in a slowly run race. Won’t know quite what he’s capable of until facing a truly top notcher. That said, must go down as a bit disappointing. I’ve had a big bet on him @ 10/1 ante-post, current 13/2 looks fair, but not enough value in it if I were not already on.

Suspect Bryan Cooper will be on Don Cossack in the Gold Cup.

Value Is Everything
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

String of wins but has he ever been that impressive? You would have thought that today’s slog should really have suited him. I am struggling to buy into the idea that whatever the opposition he will always keep finding. Assuming the ground is very much quicker in the Gold Cup it is odds on that he will be under pressure at some stage (possibly stages) to keep tabs on better horses.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Don Poli stays all day. As Joe says he’s lazy, but genuine – finds plenty for presure. FL looked as though he was goming through to win, DP fighting back as soon as the runnuer-up loomed (where as Vautour had nothing more to give in the final 50 yards). However, most horses can out-fight First Lieutenant (professional loser) and a Grade 1 in name only. Foxrock seemingly back to his best in first time blinkers, but both he and On His Own were given enough rope by the rest in (what looks by Racing Post Standard Times in comparrson to Leoprdstown’s other races today) a slowly run affair. Don Poli isn’t going to be impressive against anyone, particularly in a slowly run race. Won’t know quite what he’s capable of until facing a truly top notcher. That said, must go down as a bit disappointing. I’ve had a big bet on him @ 10/1 ante-post, current 13/2 looks fair, but not enough value in it if I were not already on.

Suspect Bryan Cooper will be on Don Cossack in the Gold Cup.

The difference being is that Don Poli had absolutely everything in his favour whereas Vautour had a million negatives against him and only lost by a 4 inches the size of my, my, my erm, erm nose but lost ground and momentum jumping left with Ruby having to drag him right the whole way around the track.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 13201

Oh well :whistle:

Haven’t seen the race yet G, but going by the distances, don’t think I’ll bother :negative:

A wise move Bobby :negative:

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

The main conclusion I came to after this race was that Mullins made the right decision not to run Djakadam and that may payoff in the long run. The overall form amounts to absolutely nothing but given the atrocious ground conditions it is not surprising the placed horses were that close.

DP is a brave, tough horse but I wonder how long he will last if he keeps finding himself in these all out battles every time he runs – make no mistake this race will take a while for him to get over and the likelyhood of much better ground at Cheltenham would concern me as you could quite easily see him being the first of the big guns coming off the bridle and probably from some way out in the GC, as he may not have the tactical speed of his rivals to hold his position.

A proper soft ground GC and you would be with him all day long – this is probably the last thing connections would want to hear but he has Grand National written all over him and you can understand why before last years Festival Mullins made comments about the 4m National Hunt Chase being his preferred target.

pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 787

Hot enough to frighten off any British entries this year. Says it all

Participant
    • Total Posts 15

Don Poli is a grinder who will find and find in the Gold Cup. I honestly think Cheltenham is his track and if he gets in the shake up at the top of the hill it won’t matter how he’s travelling as he will find and find all the way to the line.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.