The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2009

Viewing 11 posts - 664 through 674 (of 674 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 441

I’m surprised this one hasn’t got a mention post-race, but what an effort from the 7YO Big Fella Thanks.

His first full season as a chaser, making only his tenth start under rules.

I can see this one coming back year after year, touch wood, and he should be all the better for the experience.

He holds entries for both the Scottish National and bet365 and you would expect him to be thereabouts in either, providing Aintree hasn’t taken too much out of him.

My 50/1 was not to be ,Hills don`t pay 6th place ,but what an outstanding performance. It would have silenced a few smug critics on here who couldnt ever see a novice being close.

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

This was a National where established trends counted for very little.

I always discount the 11st+ horses unless they’re clearly Grade 1 class, though I thought this was a poor GN in terms of quality and backed Comply Or Die ew on the back of last year’s easy win.

Of course, the first four had 11st+, and so did the sixth :shock:

Throw in a lady trainer and a price that didn’t fit the profile………I’d never have found Mon Mome, well done to those that did !

I see one firm (can’t recall it at present) is offering 16/1 about AP winning the GN next year…..or was it before he retires? Any way up, I don’t reckon that price is long enough.

• Total Posts 2440

Balding has apologised about her comments, apparently…

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-ra … rk/176602/

• Total Posts 1982

Interesting question posed by RP online this morning, one that has crossed my mind since Saturday.

Will this years Grand National result change your approach to finding the winner?

It’s not just the 100-1 winner, but the first four all carried 11st or more and many of the fancied, or even unfancied runners got round despite a serious and / or catalogue of errors.

My Will made a few small errors and at least two serious ones before looking the likely winner two out, and how Snowy Morning has completed two Nationals I’ll never know.

Jumping used to be a prerequisite for any National winner, but with the well documented alterations and compression of the weights, would you rather take a chance on a class horse who has the tendency to belt the odd obstacle?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but Mon Mome was no 100–1 shot. He beat Star De Mohasion earlier in the season before starting favourite for the Welsh National, so a ‘good’ horse did win the race this year.
    I think a 100-1 winner is good for the race and hopefully the full result will encourage trainers to target class horses at the race in the future.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

However, at the end of the day the race was won by a horse who jumped immaculately; I bet Red Rum didn’t jump any better than Mon Mome on Saturday..State of Play may have won if he hadn’t’ve made a few howlers on the way round, even with the weight he was carrying. The first thing I do when the weights come out is look for the 9 year olds, and that isn’t going to change. The 11st cut off point won’t be etched in stone from now on, but I understand it isn’t so much the 11st, but the amount off weight above the bottom weight which is now slightly above 10 st. Next years race is going to be really interesting, but I am worried that the race is just turning into another handicap in the calendar.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

"He should have asked her if her husband…………"

You’re a bit out of touch there, Fists.

Claire doesn’t do husbands.

Colin

I believe the line would be "How’s Sandy?"

Aristo
    • Total Posts 318

Then I would have said. "I’m having trouble keeping some sheep penned in at home. Could you pop over and help me I am told your are good with Dykes"

I looked it up on the internet: Sandi Toksvig eh? They say our Claire has a good eye for a horse. Seems they are spot on :lol: .

pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 788

All 4 of my main fancies flopped. Did have a mop up bet on 5 outsiders in a tote shop at low stakes because their prices seemed too big. These included Mon Mome … but showing what a shrewdie I am I did em all PLACE ONLY :roll: Comeuppance for being a tightarse I`ve had to concede.

• Total Posts 42

I really enjoyed the race this year. Too bad that Comply or Die came in 2nd, but it was great to see it. Comply or Die made me win 1 pound. I am looking forward to next year.

• Total Posts 4293

However, look at that stat of Geralds about 134-142 at entry stage/136-144 on race day…….

That didn’t actually work this year, as Mon Mome ran off 148. However, nearly all my bets had been made by Feb, with a bit of mopping up at Cheltenham.

I don’t think that that trend is a "proper" fundamental trend, as there is no particular reasoning behind it. It is more of a statistical curiosity.

I am planning to do a rant about trends and the GN at some stage, but it will take a bit of time for me to get organised. I used up another day’s holiday this week, as I didn’t wake up until 11am on Tuesday (I laid down at 2.30am, waiting for the alarm clock to go off at 4am . . .) At this rate I will have to work through Royal Ascot.

I’m planning to do my main plunges in mid to late November, and I’ll be relying upon
    age 9+
    won 25f+
    Flat Stamina Indices of Sire and Damsire, but can’t remember the particular numbers off the top of my head.
    Already had a run that season.
    I

will

be doing a few 8yos, but that will be closer to the race, and probably just savers.

• Total Posts 4293

Search facility isn’t working properly for me, so I’m bumping this to make it easier for me to access.

Viewing 11 posts - 664 through 674 (of 674 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.