The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 647 through 663 (of 674 total)
  • Author
    Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

To be fair Clare Balding is pretty much "safe hands." Sure, it was a tad insensitive, but that’s live TV, folks. Not every comment will be a winner. If you say the right thing 95% of the time without any howlers then that’s pretty good.

Zip

• Total Posts 2440

I just want to say what a gutsy and fantastic race Comply or Die has run too. I thought he was going to do it again when he jumped the last in the lead. Gave his all again, you can’t ask for more than that and he has done connections proud.

I think he tried so hard that he needed oxygen after the race, if i heard correctly.

Aristo
    • Total Posts 318

Can’t complin myself had 2 of the first 4 and what a great race it was. I was counting my winnings when Comply or Die hit the front thinking that other thing can’t possibly win. Really took off and was a very good winner in the end.

He’s very typical of a Grand National winner: Stuffs Character Building then gets beat when a hot fav in the race won by Notre Pere, runs a couple of moderate races then comes back with a bang for the National.

Not suprised Moehat took 33/1 when he did.That was probably a more realistic price for a horse who looked a good stayer at the start of the season. 100/1 is supposed to be for horse with absolutely no chance soemething you couldn’t say about him after he won a 100,000 punds race against a deceent field at Cheltenham a few months back. Very generous price.

Very hard to dig him out but well done to anyone who latched on to him.

• Total Posts 2440

Gerald that is fantastic.

Well done to you!!!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

My total profit came to @ £1.25 and that was only because I went to have an ew bet on SoP at 25/1 and accidentally wrote it out for £1 ew instead of my usual 50pence and thought aha it must be fate! No, Mon Mome was certainly not a 100/1 shot and I was surprised when I saw the price today, but it’s good for racing; woman trainer and big priced winner; lots of publicity and next year once a year punters will be happy to have bets on big priced horses..as for me, I’m going to wait till the day of the race and back the first 8 in the betting and save myself 3 months of staring at a computer screen..either that or back the first horse I think of! However, look at that stat of Geralds about 134-142 at entry stage/136-144 on race day…….

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

What he said.

• Total Posts 4293

Erm. was no one on it apart from me, Irish Stamp and Moehat?

To tell you the truth, I had come to the conclusion ( not for the first time) that I am a wnanker. In addition, whatever, I had given up on horseracing. F or the past few days I had been concentrating on the Fantasy Baseball for the the past few days (season starts tomorrow.)

The really. really funny thing was that that I didn’t realise until after 1 hour the race that i had £177+ from Mon Mome and State Of Play coming placed.

Okay, I was going to start a new thread tomorrow morning ( £20 @ 70, not 65) about what I should do with it, as it is an inbetween sum.

This is really embarrassing. As I’ve said a few times before, I am a small punter. How do I burn a grand?

I was supposed to be going back to University, but I’ve got enough to pay for the 2004-05 season tuition fees, but not for the 2009-10 as well.

Also, I’ve got no reason not to move to Ashford, but I don’t want to.

One suggestion from the pub is that I should double it and go to Thailand.

I reackon I’ve still got chances with the barmaid.

BeauRanger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

Well done for picking him :D thought he was out of form after backing him last year :shock: – should have known better 8)

No way he should have been 100 -1 … same as silver birch 2 years ago – a welsh national winner at 33-1 is a gift. He didnt win a welsh national but is in the same bracket – no fluke. Won with plenty in hand and ears pricked :P

• Total Posts 1982

I’m surprised this one hasn’t got a mention post-race, but what an effort from the 7YO Big Fella Thanks.

His first full season as a chaser, making only his tenth start under rules.

I can see this one coming back year after year, touch wood, and he should be all the better for the experience.

He holds entries for both the Scottish National and bet365 and you would expect him to be thereabouts in either, providing Aintree hasn’t taken too much out of him.

• Total Posts 4293

This is the really weird thing. After all the knocks I took in my first ante-post National ( Ponmeoath, Church Island, Notre Pere, Operation Houdini ( MERIGO! ) ) it totally fcuked up my idea , not just as a horseplayer, but as a hunan being.

• Total Posts 4293

Erm, Beau Ranger, me and Moe picked him BEFORE he was out of form. That is why we’re slightly pissed off/ embarrassed now.

BeauRanger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

hes always been a top stayer – just underperformed on occasion :wink: they are not machines – i was foolish to write him off in a race that favours 9 yr olds 8) he has been a serious player in the top staying chases / national trials for a while.

I didnt bet on him this year but did last and I think at chelt also at some point (maybe even 2 yrs ago)…. and I thought he was a promising young staying chaser years ago – he has fulfilled his promise he showed in staying chases.

Just happy for the horse and connections as he hasnt hidden in hurdle races in ireland either to avoid the handicapper :D

• Total Posts 4293

True. What put me off about Comply & Die last year was that he had won the Eider!

Changing tack, forget about me and the barmaid.

• Total Posts 4293

Married.

Aristo
    • Total Posts 318

WTF was Claire Balding thinking to ask poor Liam Treadwell to "show everyone your bad teeth…."….I would have said it were a momentary lapse had she not followed up with,"You can get them fixed now with the money!"
    The poor guy just squirmed so uncomfortably. What a [expletive] prat she is sometimes.

Yeh i don’t see why someone would make someone else feel uncomfortable like that.

He should have asked her if her husband liked women with saggy bums and floopy boobs and face like a melted wellington. Whe she replied "No" he should have asked her why he was still with her.

Way out of order "silly woman"

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

"He should have asked her if her husband…………"

You’re a bit out of touch there, Fists.

Claire doesn’t do husbands.

Colin

andythornton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 171

what a fantastic showpiece once again this year!! but first of all, i am very happy, that nothing worse happened to riders and horses, thats the main thing above all..

about the race: yes, a very impressive winner, and a very good ride, tactics-wise! i am sure, we will see much more of him in the future. of the others, comply or die once again ran his heart out. interesting too was cerium, who, after being naturally outclassed in the gold cup, ran a big race to be the fastest horse at the finish. great effort by keith mercer too. my fancy, golden flight form the nicky henderson yard, went through th first hedge, so that was it for me…but hey guys, theres always next year, right? :D

Viewing 17 posts - 647 through 663 (of 674 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.