The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 426 through 442 (of 674 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33020

Let’s hope connections of Irish Invader elect to run him at Aintree after today’s Thurles win –

it is getting harder to pick the National winner as each year passes

, so it is a relief when horses that have absolutely no chance of staying line up and can be easily discounted.

Don’t forget you can bet odds-on even in the National, if backing enough horses. If adding up the prices I took in the last three years it was something like 11/10, 6/4 and 7/4. I find it quite easy. :lol:

Mark

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 1982

My Will and King Johns Castle at the moment.

My Will ran a solid National trial in the Gold Cup. Should have a great chance at the weights, in my opinion.

Jumps and stays, too.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Roll Along for me; surely got a winning weight if he goes for it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2284

ive lost faith in simon this year :cry: i don’t have a certain national bet yet which is unlike me really, normally i’ll have a list of 5 or so coming upto the race
    the only one mainly being probrably rambling minster

vf

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

I think Simon’s lost faith in Simon this year as well; such a shame because he was so promising, but I guess those two falls in the National have soured him, and he was a little horse carrying big weights until this year…

BeauRanger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

Black Apalachi, Mon Mome,Hobbs Hill, Golden Flight are the ones that stand out to me just at first glance – anyone know any more detail about these horses ?

There must be a low weighted stayer being run over hurdles lurking in there somewhere :roll:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

I’m so thrilled with my bet on Character Building now that he’s back on form again…and I’ve realized that he’s got next to no chance of getting into the race, along with Kilbeggan Blade who I haven’t backed yet. I know if my horse gets withdrawn I lose my money, but do I get my stake money back if the horse doesn’t make the cut?

Participant
    • Total Posts 2284

before black apalachi became the favourite for the race i actually dreamt that he won it

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I’ve backed Exotic Dancer for this today. O’Neill seems keen and I agree with him that if he does turn up he’s well handicapped. Ran a cracker in the GC and it wasn’t the slog of last year so hopefully O’Neill can freshen him up and convince Ogden & Simpson to run him.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

I actually really like war of attrition in this now, after he was pulled from the gold cup to contest this race.

Remembering of course War Of Attritions gold cup which had a fast pace on a good surface and was dominated by him and Hedgehunter, who then went on the run a big weight second in the national a few weeks later.

War Of attrition will be high in the weights but not as high as hedgehunter was and i think he could be the right sort for this with the way he stays on good ground.

Not only that but he has the best name possible for a national winner.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I’ve backed Exotic Dancer for this today. O’Neill seems keen and I agree with him that if he does turn up he’s well handicapped. Ran a cracker in the GC and it wasn’t the slog of last year so hopefully O’Neill can freshen him up and convince Ogden & Simpson to run him.

I’ve long been an advocate for Exotic Dancer running in the National (especially the year he won the Bowl), but judging by his display of jumping yesterday I’d almost want 33s on him to make it round!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

I think all the horses that should be running in it [Rambling Minster, Kilbeggan Blade, Character Building, Maljimar] won’t get a run because of no hopers entered en mass by some of the bigger trainers. Maybe trainers should only be allowed so many in the race to give smaller trainers a chance [think this goes back to the Martin Pipe days]. Sorry; talking through my pocket here.

Participant
    • Total Posts 650

Agree that vanity runners are a pain in the backside; at Aintree and at Cheltenham. The National is a very different race now to what it was 15 years ago. Not all for the worse by any means.

I had had a couple of speculative quid on Offshore Account at 140 so pleased that he has made a satisfactory reappearance at Navan today…

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Golden Flight is interesting, but I see that he has an entry for Sandown, so I’m wondering if the Whitbread is his goal? I assume that Roll Along isn’t going to run because his price hasn’t changed whereas My Will is now almost favourite..see that Southern Vic had a nice little race the other day as well.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Not sure about Golden Flight – he was top class a few years ago but his run the other day (albeit promising) didn’t exactly scream "I retain all my ability".

MCFC Stan
    • Total Posts 377

While I still like my original 4, I also like the look of My Will, Character Building and Butler’s Cabin based on Cheltenham as I thought they all ran great trials to various degrees. Exotic Dancer’s particiaption however would change the whole outlook of the race in my eyes as the weights won’t go up so many more horses will come into it. I’d kind of factored in them rising at least 5lb, so put a line at 10st9lb. I don’t think he’s got a cat in hell’s chance of winning as 11st10lb is too much weight, even if he’s well handicapped and I also doubt he’d stay. He’s best winning the Bowl and wouldn’t be surprised if that’s where his owner decides to take him.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

I understand Butlers Cabin needed oxygen after his run at Cheltenham

. Exotic Dancers participation could give State of Play a nice weight for a little horse.

Viewing 17 posts - 426 through 442 (of 674 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.