The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 674 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1537

You said on the 17th :-

"I happen to agree despite having backed Kauto Star (Couldn’t resist the 7/1EW) as things stand Denman should win the Gold Cup. "

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

If Kauto was back r still in the duldrums and with PN saying Denman is as good as ever I would say it again, if that were the case, but it’s not is it?

That was two lines out of a post discussing whether he was worth betting or a good thing for the Gold Cup and I said he wasn’t I would rather back a Nicky H novice.even with Kauto out the way. Too tough a race to be backing horses at 11/10 or whever price he is.

I have supported Kauto Star and backed him almost everytime he has ran either singly or doubled him when he was too short…..If he jumps he wins as far as I’m concerned and it is Denman who has now to prove he is as good as ever something Kauto did already in the King George or at least he’s getting there.

Kauto is on a different build up this year and PN is giving him every chance to win the race by making sure he goes there 100% and fresh. I honestly think he believed Kauto would beat Denman last year……..Ruby certainly did…..and I believe he thinks he will win it his year and that could be a lot to do with PN’s decision to run Denman in the National.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Kauto is on a different build up this year and PN is giving him every chance to win the race by making sure he goes there 100% and fresh. I honestly think he believed Kauto would beat Denman last year……..Ruby certainly did…..and I believe he thinks he will win it his year and that could be a lot to do with PN’s decision to run Denman in the National.

Interesting viewpoint Fist,another interesting point is why does nobody
    see "Kauto" as a National type?

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

why do they not know how Kauto is before he runs Mr Fist? they seem as perplexed as everyone when he doesn’t run well….

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Interesting viewpoint Fist,another interesting point is why does nobody
    see "Kauto" as a National type?

The trip and his jumping GW He might get the trip as 2m4f horses (Gay Trip eg) have won the National but they would never risk the horse because of the latter I suspect.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

why do they not know how Kauto is before he runs Mr Fist? they seem as perplexed as everyone when he doesn’t run well….

Horses don’t always show everything at home MO. They can look well, work well, but when they get on the racecourse they run very badly. David Pipe has that very problem at the moment.

Of course PN will be upset when his Champion get’s beat even if he is the one to blame.

PN isn’t a mystic Mo and he can’t see into the future and he get’s it wrong sometimes.

They took on Monet Graden when he wasn’t fully wound up but even 95% they probably thought he would be fit enough but he wasn’t. Nothing wrong with doing that it’s a long season.

He said himself he made a mistake running him at Haydock he wasn’t fullly over his race in Ireland….apparantly he knew that before he ran him and almost got away with it. Sue he would be upset but I doubt if he was totally surprised

Last years Gold Cup is a mystery and something we might never know the answer to if he reverses frm with Denman this year.

One of the reasons Ruby came up with was he might have left his race at Ascot…….by that he either meant he took too much out of himself or more likley he was saying he was over the top.

That was the one time PN got it really wrong IMO. If Ruby was right then why on earth did they run him at Aintree other than the enticement of the big bonus?, plus he told Ruby how to ride him which we all know how well that went down.

I don’t mean to be hard on PN many many horses run in races when they are not at their best. You simply can’t keeep them 100% all the time so you have to train them to reach their peak on the most importatnt days…….Boxing Day and Gold Cup day in Kauto’s case.

KendalCavalier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

It just says volumes, to me anyway, that ALL the talk is about Denman now being entered for Aintree and talk of Denman v Kauto Star II has, for the time being, been pushed to one side. It just confirms, I suppose, what has always been the case for many – The National still provides a greater interest than NH’s Blue Ribband, although they are both great races in their own right, the National is still the one.

And yet Denman’s alleged participation excites me not because we will see just one truly great horse run in it again but because of the other horses that will now be tempted and in particular the likes of Halcon Genelardais (got my 150’s on Betfair!), Monet’s Garden, Gungadu, Neptune Collonges, Notre Pere and The Listener (the latter definitely won’t stay I know). There are so many ponderables if he takes part, the 140 – 150+ horses like Mr Pointment, Black Apalachi, My Will, Hot Weld, Snowy Morning, Comply Or Die, Rambling Minster and Miko Du Beauchene (countless others I know) running off a feather weights, and will some of the novices go for it such as Wichita Lineman, Big Fella Thanks, Kornati Kid and Gone To Lunch.

My only reservation is that if he doesn’t line up there will be ante-post carnage but at the moment it is very exciting and congratulations to Charles Barnett who has left a very healthy legacy at Aintree and his dream of a £1m National has nearly arrived.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

to think of all the critiscism that HK got about Best Mate at the time, and she was so intuitively right about him…[by the way Jonjo was on Country File this morning; missed it myself but he was with Hasty Prince so it must have been a repeat]

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Dan Skelton told us 2 years ago at NH preview that this horse was going to be aimed at the National..can’t see connections wanting that but what he said well and truly stuck in my mind [and notebook]..can’t see his jumping being up to it, though,,,he seems to need a lot of organizing at his fences…getting very interesting, though…..

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Among our housewives brickies and the School Janitor it certainly holds the stage for one day unless you have a Red Rum going around the place like he owns it.

I was a big fan when I was younger but now I can take it or leave it. Overall for true NH racing fans the Cheltenham Festival is something they look forward to more than anything as it’s very difficult to get excited about Complie or Die defending his title or will Butlers Cabin eat the starter.

The thought of Denman running in it though is mind boggling to racing fans but Mrs Smith won’t know him from Adam if he turns up………She’ll still be wondering why April Seventh isn’t running this year as it’s her grandson’s birthday and the old man will be telling the Grandkids about the time he had he winner because he had a girlfriend called Sheila who live in a cottage.

It all good fun and a great spectacle but without a Red Rum the winner fades into oblivion year after year among the public and many racing fans alike.

Denman can change that especially with die hard racing fans if he goes there with a second Gold Cup under his belt.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

.can’t see his jumping being up to it, though,,,he seems to need a lot of organizing at his fences……

Denman is one of the best jumpers for years- he’d absolutely love Aintree.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

I meant Neptune Collonges, not Denman; sorry for the confusion! hope beckster doesn’t get mad with me for saying that because she knows I love the horse to bits!

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

The winners of last years national and this years Eider chase will be on my short list, Demnen might not get home.

KendalCavalier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

I think the best lay of this year’s race of those currently in the market has to be AN ACCORDION. The owners have never had nor will they ever have a runner in the race. They hate it.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

I do wish owners/trainers made it clearer that they’re giving horses an entry just in case they change their mind rather than genuinely wanting the horse to run.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I’d just be concerned he would pull too hard. Ruby I assume will ride and I think Denman will need him.

mickeddy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 104

Hi Guys,
    Watched a programme on ATR over Christmas which was filmed at Harry Findlays house. It was a decent programme for a change and Findlay waxed lyrical about Denman. One thing he was adamant about though and stated on camera was that Denman WILL win the Grand National. There were no ifs or buts but a definite statement. With the rumours now circulating about Denman it could be Findlay was giving everyone prior notice to get on.
    Mike.

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 674 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.